Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #1201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Since you don't own a D3s you would know that the horizontal viewing angles are quite wide for a TN panel- however there are visible shifts in contrast, colour and gamma at certain angles this shift is rather dramatic - which is a characteristic of a TN panel. With IPS gamma isn't as affected by viewing angle but there can be a slight shift in image contrast, colours shouldn't be affected at all.
No i dont but i've used a D700 a couple of times, this use the same screen right?
And the D7000, D300 and D5100. That's the great thing if you're giving lessons you encounter almost all the DSLR this way.
Besides they are talking about 170 degree horizantal and vertical view and like i say there is no TN screen offering that kind of range.
I would also find it very strange that ALL of the other manufactures are using IPS while Nikon would chose to stay with TN, it simply makes no sense.

ps. thank you for your lessons, no idea why you're given them?

03-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #1202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh! But you would be gaining the ability to automagically share your location with all your peeps on facebook.

Steve

(gotta keep our priorities straight here!)
Lol indeed!
03-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #1203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Besides they are talking about 170 degree horizantal and vertical view and like i say there is no TN screen offering that kind of range. I would also find it very strange that ALL of the other manufactures are using IPS while Nikon would chose to stay with TN, it simply makes no sense.
No it doesn't make much sense, when you take a long hard look at the specifications of the LCD display panels on all DSLRs you have to realise that there are different standards for assessing viewing angles - which are in the end a very relative and subjective thing. Sure you can look at a LCD panel on a D700 from 60 degree angle - but would you really want to?

At the risk of getting off topic: Many display manufacturers have been playing fast and casual when specifying the viewing angles of their displays Viewsonic, LG*, Philips and AOC are some of the worst culprits. Asus,Samsung,Eizo, NEC and Dell are typically much more forthcoming with this spec - but then again Samsung, NEC, Eizo are all players in the IPS display market.

*It is interesting to note is that LG are a major OEM manufacturer of IPS displays, other players are Samsung, Hitachi, NEC and Panasonic. To the best of my knowledge Sony do not make their own display panels.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-02-2013 at 03:01 AM.
03-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #1204
Veteran Member

Your evading the question.
There is no way TN panel would get through with a rating of 170 degree viewing angle, that would be false commercial use.
For the third time what is your source Nikon use TN panels?

03-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #1205
Veteran Member

Let me look at the lcd on the back of my d3100.

I can hold the camera with the lens pointed straight down and look across the back of the panel from any direction and the information on the panel is perfectly readable and has no color shifting at all. It's gets a bit darker but that's the only difference between head on viewing and "if I turned the camera any more the panel would be on the side facing away from me" viewing.

It's not a tn panel. No tn panel has that sort of viewing angle. And if the d3100, which sells for like 450 usd these days isn't using a tn panel, what are the chances that cameras higher in the lineup are?

Maybe dslrs made before the d3100 used tn panels, in fact if you go back far enough it's virtually assured that they did, but no dslr in production today is going to be using a tn panel.
03-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #1206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no way TN panel would get through with a rating of 170 degree viewing angle, that would be false commercial use.
Marketing is the art of making half truths into complete lies, I'm wondering where you are getting your figure for the 170 degree viewing angle, nikon advertising literature?

For the third time what is your source Nikon use TN panels?
Thom Hogan, he looked into the LCD green colour cast issue and received a response from nikon who stated they try to calibrate the TN panels* as a part of camera production in D3,D3s,D700 and D800(E) camera bodies. I suspect this is also the reason why Pentax included a colour tuning option with the K7>K5II. I had to use +5 magenta colour correction to get my K5IIs IPS screen to render greyscale images neutral, my K7 needed +3 magenta +1 Amber.

*the frustrating thing is every camera teardown website never shows who the manufacturer of the LCD panels are in the cameras they strip down, so it is very difficult to be absolutely certain what each camera manufacturer is using TN or IPS for the rear LCDs. IMO it is silly to go around assuming that all the Rear LCD panels in DSLR cameras are IPS displays based on the heuristic of the 170 degree viewing angle.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-02-2013 at 08:35 PM.
03-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #1207
Veteran Member

It's very easy to see if it's a TN panel look at it at an angle.
I'm with Homo_erectus, i'm not getting the contrast and colourshift i normally see with TN panels, and there is no changee in contrast when looking dead on like with PVA panels so that leaves that they are IPS panels.

03-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #1208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm not getting the contrast and colourshift i normally see with TN panels, and there is no changee in contrast when looking dead on like with PVA panels so that leaves that they are IPS panels
What camera are you using for reference,Anvh? i'm not sure what panel the D3100 uses - there isn't any literature or teardown sites that specifically point it out one way or another. I don't think they are using IPS panels because of the shift in contrast/colour (on the D3,D3s,D4,D700,D800) and I I wouldn't base my judgements on whether the rear camera LCD is an TN or IPS just by looking at it. If you pulled the camera apart* and found a part number or manufacturer code that could trace its design and origin I would believe that.

*i'm not suggesting that anyone do this without experience in such things - flash capacitors can hold high votage that can be fatal if it isn't discharged properly.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-03-2013 at 04:12 AM.
03-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #1209
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh the minutiae
03-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #1210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Oh the minutiae
I know, some people get one piece of information and build entire worlds based on assumptions and conjecture.
03-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #1211
Veteran Member

I've handled the D700 remember and i found the screen not different in terms of viewing angle performance then the K5 which has a IPS.
Besides that you're now saying that there is hardly a difference between TN and IPS?
First you've have eyes like a hawk saying you see a clear difference between fully processed mkII and mkIIs photos, however you are not willing to point the differences out. You also said something about you not babysitting me so that i should look for it myself..... Now you're saying you are unable to see if a panel is TN or IPS...

To top it off you're first saying ALL camera's use TN panels, it's been clearly noted by a lot of reviewers and manufactures that there are a lot of cameras out there that use IPS. So you've changed your comment that Nikon uses TN and now it's even down to 4 Nikon models....

You have lost all creditability now.

Last edited by Anvh; 03-03-2013 at 05:14 AM.
03-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #1212
Veteran Member

Anvh, you are BORING ME with your trite and trivial dribble, in almost every thread you participate.
03-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #1213
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Anvh, you are BORING ME with your trite and trivial dribble, in almost every thread you participate.
Then use the ignore function if that's how you feel
03-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #1214
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Then use the ignore function if that's how you feel
Guess he had to write it. I can understand that
03-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #1215
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread can now return to its original topic. The K-3. Announced in about a month or so. A worthy incremental upgrade from the K-5 one can hope...