Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #1216
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This thread can now return to its original topic. The K-3. Announced in about a month or so. A worthy incremental upgrade from the K-5 one can hope...
I think the K-3 will have the new AF system and probably some other new technologies (WiFi) built in as Pentax makes the K-3 a test run for the FF K-1. I think it will be aimed at the Canon 7DII.

03-03-2013, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #1217
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think the K-3 will have the new AF system and probably some other new technologies (WiFi) built in as Pentax makes the K-3 a test run for the FF K-1. I think it will be aimed at the Canon 7DII.
Sounds reasonable. We pretty much know it will have a 20-24 mp sensor

What I'm most interested in is where Pentax goes with the body. I am guessing they won't reuse the K-7 body again, good as it is, for marketing reasons - I have a grip and several batteries which I'd be sad to see go but I would if the body introduced useful features that necessitated a new body.

The viewfinder might be one of these things - although I guess battery compatibility could be maintained. I'd like to see an improved OVF and I'd LOVE to see Pentax implement their EL overlay patent and produce an excellent hybrid view finder.

I expect to see better AF etc but the core performance of the K-5II is likely good enough for me.
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #1218
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote

What I'm most interested in is where Pentax goes with the body. I am guessing they won't reuse the K-7 body again, good as it is, for marketing reasons - I have a grip and several batteries which I'd be sad to see go but I would if the body introduced useful features that necessitated a new body.

The viewfinder might be one of these things - although I guess battery compatibility could be maintained. I'd like to see an improved OVF and I'd LOVE to see Pentax implement their EL overlay patent and produce an excellent hybrid view finder.

I expect to see better AF etc but the core performance of the K-5II is likely good enough for me.
With improvements in EVFs I am hoping Pentax decides to produce a bigger OVF for the K-3. I think we might see a new body. New OVF, 2 SD card slots, New wider AF sensor array. Built-in WiFi. Not a radical change, but an evolution.
03-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #1219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
With improvements in EVFs I am hoping Pentax decides to produce a bigger OVF for the K-3. I think we might see a new body. New OVF, 2 SD card slots, New wider AF sensor array. Built-in WiFi. Not a radical change, but an evolution.
I'd be surprised to see 2 SD card slots. Whilst I understand that for those that need them they are essential but for others they serve little purpose. I'd likely have one slot empty all the time. I don't shoot for a living and I've never had an SD card failure ever. I'd rather the space used for a WiFi module or even GPS. But that's in relation to my own needs.

I wonder if the SR mechanism will get an advertised improvement?

03-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #1220

I would also like to see implementation of excellent hybrid viewfinder. That could really make the difference. Also smart implementation of WIFI would make articulating screen unnecessary. Also add better coverage of AF points and I am sold. On the other hand I do not hope that as I could not resist that
03-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #1221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am hoping for WiFi in the grip, as an add on. Keeps the body size small, keeps power use small and keeps costs down for those that do not need it. And if you do need it then just buy the grip. GPS in the grip maybe as well?
03-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #1222
Veteran Member

I'd be surprised to see 2 SD card slots. Whilst I understand that for those that need them they are essential but for others they serve little purpose. I'd likely have one slot empty all the time. I don't shoot for a living and I've never had an SD card failure ever. I'd rather the space used for a WiFi module or even GPS. But that's in relation to my own needs.

I wonder if the SR mechanism will get an advertised improvement?
2 SD card slot may allow for faster writing if software support it; something like RAID 0 disk units, write in parallel on 2 SD cards, or write 2 separate images in parallel on 2 SD cards; this achieve a double write speed

03-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #1223
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This thread can now return to its original topic. The K-3.

You mean, it should.

I see no information being leaked, so no, it can't return to its original topic as everything which can be speculated already has.

It is the perfect place to have small talk about Pentax' future or to gauge against the competition or whatever while everybody is awaiting real information to tripple in.
03-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #1224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I see no information being leaked, so no, it can't return to its original topic as everything which can be speculated already has.
+1
PRI seems very secretive, more than Pentax-Hoya and Pentax Co in the past.
03-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #1225
Veteran Member

Wifi would indeed be great in the grip as an option, that way you can choose.

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Anvh, you are BORING ME with your trite and trivial dribble, in almost every thread you participate.
This time the blame wasnt on me, if someone would just answer an question instead of dancing around it.
03-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #1226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
2 SD card slot may allow for faster writing if software support it; something like RAID 0 disk units, write in parallel on 2 SD cards, or write 2 separate images in parallel on 2 SD cards; this achieve a double write speed
Except at least right now, there is no computer software that would support it, so you would have to download directly from the camera to the computer instead of using a car reader. In addition, it doubles the chances for a bad card to ruin your day. I'd rather use it as a simultaneous back up.
03-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #1227
Veteran Member

Will the K-3 come in different colours? Id love a pink one.
03-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #1228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
hmph, that is the first time I have ever had to use the ignore feature...

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
A Tom S stated, There would be a problem with that as there are no memory card readers that can read two of the same type of memory card simultaneously we would be forced to rely on the camera for that. And what happens if you lose one of the cards? the other card would still be useless. I would be quite happy if there were two card slots, SD cards are getting to be fast enough these days without the need for RAID 0 - if we needed more speed there is always XQD

WIFI with a tethering option would be impressive - but given pentax and their reluctance to offer tethering on the original 645D i'm not too optimistic about the possibility of that happening.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-03-2013 at 06:44 PM.
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #1229
Forum Member

Boy, just received notice I'm getting way more in my tax return today and yet there still is so little new news its killing me. I would love it if we could get a bit more clarification on when the K-3 will be revealed.
03-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #1230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
Boy, just received notice I'm getting way more in my tax return today and yet there still is so little new news its killing me. I would love it if we could get a bit more clarification on when the K-3 will be revealed.
If Pentax revealed when the revealing was going to be, would it still be a revealing?