Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #1231
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
If Pentax revealed when the revealing was going to be, would it still be a revealing?
I know what you mean I'm more hoping for some leaks. Nikon did a great job supposedly keeping the D7100 under raps so maybe its getting harder to find leaks.

Having said that, since the D7000 shared features with the K5 (like the sensor) are people expecting a K3 to match up well with the D7100 or is there a chance it will be more? I was impressed with the D7100 specs to be honest.

03-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #1232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
WIFI with a tethering option would be impressive - but given pentax and their reluctance to offer tethering on the original 645D i'm not too optimistic about the possibility of that happening.
True. Even their flagship cameras APS-C don't have tethering (from the k-7 and on)... and it's an optional purchase for the 645D. I have no idea why.
03-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #1233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is WiFi fast enough for tethering in a practical application? It is perhaps 6MB/s maximum transfer? With 20MB RAW files would this work?
03-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #1234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Is WiFi fast enough for tethering in a practical application?
Being an avid user of Capture pilot from phase one - I would say, yes WiFi is up to the task.

03-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #1235
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be better tethering resized JPEGs both for speed and practicality.
03-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #1236
Banned

Is WiFi fast enough for tethering in a practical application
IEEE 802.11ac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WiFi 802.11ac is very slow on being adopted; especially in laptop computers. The big three camera companies have all clearly stated at public events that most of their upcoming models will have this feature. By the way I have "ac" on all of my devices except for laptops (although one laptop was modified to accept the ac) and have easily regularly exceeded one gigabyte per second on two devices at the same time using one router
03-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #1237
Veteran Member

Is WiFi fast enough for tethering in a practical application? It is perhaps 6MB/s maximum transfer? With 20MB RAW files would this work?
If the Eye-Fi cards are any indication, even their 802.11n cards only do about 10-17 Mbit/sec (not a typo...the inventor of it is a member of model mayhem and posted that there). That's 1-2MB/sec. One stream 802.11n. Close distance w/o much interference.
I saw someone use Canon's Wifi grip w/ the old Canon 5D (original) and it was fairly slow as well (on the order of a minute from shot to screen), though I think he was sucking down the RAW files at the time.

802.11ac has support for 8 streams but the routers you see now only support 2-4 streams so they're not much faster than 802.11n dual stream routers.

I'm just hoping they add USB 3.0 and open up an API for tethering. I'm really surprised they don't provide an API for it...if they don't have time to write tethering software, fine, but at least document something so that other people can pick up the slack

I'm disappointed the D7100 doesn't do 1080/60p video...they're still behind Canon on that front. And we have yet to see how much noise the sensor adds in low light...

03-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #1238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
What I'm most interested in is where Pentax goes with the body. I am guessing they won't reuse the K-7 body again, good as it is, for marketing reasons - I have a grip and several batteries which I'd be sad to see go but I would if the body introduced useful features that necessitated a new body..
Apparently the K-3(?) body is stylistically closer to the K-5 than the K-30...
03-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #1239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
+1
PRI seems very secretive, more than Pentax-Hoya and Pentax Co in the past.
Secretive? Wasn't the K-3 shown under the table at Photokina?
I "know" people who claim to have seen it....
03-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #1240
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Secretive? Wasn't the K-3 shown under the table at Photokina?
I "know" people who claim to have seen it....
If it was "shown" under the table at Photokina, and not yet released in the 6 following months, then that was not a K-3 at all.
03-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #1241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bet he is very, very close to the person he knows.
03-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #1242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am hoping for WiFi in the grip, as an add on. Keeps the body size small, keeps power use small and keeps costs down for those that do not need it. And if you do need it then just buy the grip. GPS in the grip maybe as well?
I like this idea. Take features some really want, like WiFi, built-in GPS, double-card slots, and put them in a grip. Then the camera can be cost-effective for users that don't want those features, but they can be added for those who do by getting a grip.
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #1243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I like this idea. Take features some really want, like WiFi, built-in GPS, double-card slots, and put them in a grip. Then the camera can be cost-effective for users that don't want those features, but they can be added for those who do by getting a grip.
I like this idea as well, since a majority of the space inside camera grips these days is completely underutilised. Another thing I wouldn't mind seeing is an extra hot or cold shoe mount. That would be particularly useful for people like me who use wireless triggers with a shoe mounted flash.
03-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #1244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That would be particularly useful for people like me who use wireless triggers
So how about a wireless trigger in the grip? Maybe we are filling the space up lol.

WiFi, GPS, wireless flash trigger, second (or third) SD slot, additional battery.
03-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #1245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So how about a wireless trigger in the grip? Maybe we are filling the space up lol.
That would be going pretty far, studio flash triggering protocols are proprietary and many manufacturers these days eg: Elinchrom are featuring studio flash units with built in receivers as well as wireless control capability. I work exclusively with Elinchrom studio equipment and I would buy a camera grip with a built in EL skyport triggering and monobloc control interface in a New York minute: but let's be realistic, the probability of that happening is about equal to that of being struck by lightning while reciting passages from the quran in a pink tutu.

Though if Pentax could develop a RF triggering system for their flashes and provided a camera grip with a trigger and a flash control system built in I would welcome that. But I suspect someone would have spotted a patent application for something like that long before it hit the shelves.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-04-2013 at 10:06 PM.