Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #1276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thus I'd say that their best bet would be to just suck it up and go full-frame, with an emphasis on image quality. At least then, their DSLRs will get a bit more media attention!
Like the Sony FF perhaps?
I think they will get more attention with a new 645 and more sales with the coming K-3....

03-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #1277
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tram57 Quote
Still think a 20-24MP APS-H sensor with the same pixel density and low/high ISO performance of the k-5 sensor we all enjoy, plus the associated smaller size and cost savings relative to FF, plus the intermediate crop factor of 1.3 allowing continued use of DA limited and DA* lenses but with improved DOF and DNR relative to APS-C of same pixel density plus pro level buffer, max frame rate, bracketing, etc. would be an ideal 'new' solution for the 'game changing' camera we all hope the K-3 will be.

Going with APS-H over full-frame is only a valid excuse if the camera will offer exceptional speed, and considering the fact that Pentax APS-C cameras are still rather slow (performance wise), it's hard to expect better results from a camera that has a larger sensor in it. Thus I'd say that their best bet would be to just suck it up and go full-frame, with an emphasis on image quality. At least then, their DSLRs will get a bit more media attention!
Well I even think that a 16 mp APS-H (that means the pixels off the D600/A99 in smaller sensor) would give all you need. Make it fast and snappy and you do have a killer camera.

The one thing I don't agree Adam is that you get more media attention with an aps-H sensor since that is the only offering in the camerabussiness with this sensor!
03-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #1278
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image quality will always win over speed in my book.

What do most photographer shoot? Landscapes, sports, studio, family snaps?
03-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #1279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't agree Adam is that you get more media attention with an aps-H sensor since that is the only offering in the camerabussiness with this sensor!
The last camera to use APS-H sensor was the Canon 1D Mk IV. Canon abandoned APS-H in favour of FX format in order to compete with the Nikon D4.

Going with APS-H over full-frame is only a valid excuse if the camera will offer exceptional speed,
I agree, it will take some serious improvements before pentax comes out with a camera that is even close to being able to perform as quickly as the Canon 1D Mk IV. My old 1D MKIIn is quicker than my K5IIs in certain areas.

03-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #1280
ogl
Banned

Who is APS-H? APS-H is dead, baby, APS-H is dead...
03-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #1281
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Image quality will always win over speed in my book.

What do most photographer shoot? Landscapes, sports, studio, family snaps?
Well with Pentax it surely isn't sports as a main goal for their camera. When image quality is your goal then the APS-H camera will beat the APS-C camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The last camera to use APS-H sensor was the Canon 1D Mk IV. Canon abandoned APS-H in favour of FX format in order to compete with the Nikon D4.

I agree, it will take some serious improvements before pentax comes out with a camera that is even close to being able to perform as quickly as the Canon 1D Mk IV. My old 1D MKIIn is quicker than my K5IIs in certain areas.
Well I guess that both 1Dx and D4 are not the camera's to compete with for Pentax. A new camera with APS-H sensor should compete with Canon 7D (Mark II maybe) and the new D400 (if that ever comes) alongside with the entry level FF camera's D600 and 6D. So it should bring top quality in image and be equiped to take on to the options that toptier APS-C camera's offer.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Who is APS-H? APS-H is dead, baby, APS-H is dead...
It's only dead if want it. There are now plenty off sensors in different sizes in the market to make it an option to use a large APS-H sized sensor:

Sensorsize comparison:
http://j.mp/WFPAVy

I'm very satisfied with the pixelamount in the K-5 II(s) so that would be enough pixels. Cut the sensor from the same wafer as the D600 and you get a large APS-H sized sensor (4928x3264 pixels) 29,57mm x 19,58mm and that is a crop of 1,218! So a bit larger then the APS-H sensor in the Canon's.

- Less stressing on cornerperformance for old lenses.
- More usable DA-lenses (maybe some still need the DX-format).
- The cropping giving nature- and birdingphotographers some advantage.
- smaller DNG-files, since there are 16mp instead off 24/36 wich give huge files.
- smaller camerabody (just a little, but it does count).
- No problems to put SR in the body.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 03-21-2013 at 03:14 AM.
03-21-2013, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #1282
Banned

- Less stressing on cornerperformance for old lenses.
- More usable DA-lenses (maybe some still need the DX-format).
- The cropping giving nature- and birdingphotographers some advantage.
- smaller DNG-files, since there are 16mp instead off 24/36 wich give huge files.
- smaller camerabody (just a little, but it does count).
- No problems to put SR in the body.
Let's rather think like this: if Pentax can make a great APS-C DSLR with a 24MP sensor in it, why would they pursue some APS-H format instead of a 24MP FF?

People say problem with Pentax is the perception of the brand. For that same reason, if they want to improve on perception, a 24 MP FF sounds far better than the same pixel count APS-C, and even APS-H. And all things equal, same technology / engine, etc. can be used for both.

Once Pentax is ready for a 24MP APS-C, they can release a 24MP FF camera too.

03-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #1283
Veteran Member

The only place I could see an APS-H camera making sense would be in a compact as you don't have to worry about an interchangeable lens causing naming and focal length problems for people. But even then it only makes sense if the cost is that much lower than a FF based compact but the IQ is that much better than an APS-C based one without costing the Earth.
03-21-2013, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #1284
Pentaxian

Well with Pentax it surely isn't sports as a main goal for their camera. When image quality is your goal then the APS-H camera will beat the APS-C camera!
Will beat it? Which APS-H sensor are you talking about? Do not make performance assumptions in nonexistent products.
How much it would cost, given that the sensor will have to be custom-made?
Will it be seen as a superior alternative to the APS-C, or as a failed attempt at making a FF?

There are just too many issues with this APS-H. I would not say no to a high-end APS-H instead of a high-end APS-C, but I don't see it happening.
03-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #1285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Will beat it? Which APS-H sensor are you talking about? Do not make performance assumptions in nonexistent products.
I think custom-made sensor(s) for the 645DII is much more likely. But a custom made APS-H sensor would be more expensive than an FF sensor, wouldn't it? So it would actually make more sense to use a standard FF sensor and just crop off the borders
03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #1286
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Will it be seen as a superior alternative to the APS-C, or as a failed attempt at making a FF?

There are just too many issues with this APS-H. I would not say no to a high-end APS-H instead of a high-end APS-C, but I don't see it happening.
My startpoint would be the wafer that delivers the sensor for the D600 and that performce better then the sensor in the K-5.

Maybe it wouldn't be cheaper then a FF sensor, but maybe that isn't what makes the FF camera's so expensive. It's also about building a system and when more current lenses can perform to their quality on a smaller sensor then a FF then that is where you win the most. I'm thinking off DA40mm, DA70mm, DA*60-250mm. Maybe even the FA series 31mm/43mm/77mm can perform better on a smaller sensor then FF and would make a lot off users very happy.

What about the new DA560mm/f5.6? Would that lens gain IQ from an APS-H over a FF sensor?
03-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #1287
Pentaxian

My startpoint would be the wafer that delivers the sensor for the D600 and that performce better then the sensor in the K-5.

Maybe it wouldn't be cheaper then a FF sensor, but maybe that isn't what makes the FF camera's so expensive. It's also about building a system and when more current lenses can perform to their quality on a smaller sensor then a FF then that is where you win the most. I'm thinking off DA40mm, DA70mm, DA*60-250mm. Maybe even the FA series 31mm/43mm/77mm can perform better on a smaller sensor then FF and would make a lot off users very happy.

What about the new DA560mm/f5.6? Would that lens gain IQ from an APS-H over a FF sensor?
No. Crop is already a PITA, you wanna introduce yet another one ?
This is confusing enough, don't you think?
03-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #1288
Veteran Member

Can you please identify who sells such a sensor?
03-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #1289
Veteran Member

I don't see the benefit of APS-H. Having 24x36 and APS-C in one system is a great benefit: a small aps-c for travelling and a larger FF for serious, planned shots. Currently I have to systems, Pentax and Canon, which really troubles me.
03-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #1290
ogl
Banned

It's only dead if want it. There are now plenty off sensors in different sizes in the market to make it an option to use a large APS-H sized sensor:

Canonists called APS-H - no wide-angle, no tele.

As for DA lenses - some of DA lenses can't cover APS-H at all.

And...I'm sorry - nobody will produce APS-H sensor for Pentax...