Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #1606

Photos: Albums
When I was at the camera tech discussing my dead K5 I moaned about the difficulty knowing whether to fix or replace when there is a new model due. His response was that he had been told to expect it at Christmas. His contacts are in Pentax Japan, not local. He didn't say anything about the specifications.

05-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #1607
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In about 5 weeks we shall celebrate the official 2 years anniversary on the announcement that Ricoh will marry Pentax.
Or shall we rather say, 'commemorate 2 years after', in silence and regret, holding candles?
It seems the marriage hasn't been consumed as all the kids from previous marriages had hoped. Therefore I think it would be good to end this almost endless thread and talks about the baby junior, dubbed the K3. The baby was never born. Either the father was infertile, or the mother reached her late age, matters little.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-23-2013 at 04:15 PM.
05-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #1608
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
In about 5 weeks we shall celebrate the official 2 years anniversary on the announcement that Ricoh will marry Pentax. Or shall we rather say, 'commemorate 2 years after', in silence and regret, holding candles?
Whoah two years already?? It seems like yesterday.. now I really do feel gloom, in two years they really should have done something
05-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #1609
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Q: In the micro-camera Pentax what this layout?

A: None has occupied a part of the anti-camera market share, our existing products without trans less, then we will continue to enrich the product line.
I'm a strong believer of the anti-camera market. Pentax should invest heavily into it.

05-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #1610
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Whoah two years already?? It seems like yesterday.. now I really do feel gloom, in two years they really should have done something
...how about anything?

I'm actually still a bit patient on this one, but I will lose my patience soon. Of course it helps that I'm no longer exclusively a Pentaxian.
05-23-2013, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #1611
Veteran Member

In about 5 weeks we shall celebrate the official 2 years anniversary on the announcement that Ricoh will marry Pentax.
Or shall we rather say, 'commemorate 2 years after', in silence and regret, holding candles?
It seems the marriage hasn't been consumed as all the kids from previous marriages had hoped. Therefore I think it would be good to end this almost endless thread and talks about the baby junior, dubbed the K3. The baby was never born. Either the father was infertile, or the mother reached her late age, matters little.
I guess the best entry-level DSLR is nothing.
I guess the best APS-C DSLR is nothing.
I guess a competitive enthusiast compact is nothing.
I guess a pocket APC-C is nothing.

Forget all of that. Pentax is doomed because it doesn't have a full-frame camera that would likely sell in smaller quantities than all of those cameras mentioned above.
05-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #1612
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

Forget all of that. Pentax is doomed because it doesn't have a full-frame camera that would likely sell in smaller quantities than all of those cameras mentioned above.
The thread is about a mythical new K3.
It's not about projects that were started during the Hoya time, planned during the Hoya time, and Ricoh's own projects started shortly before the marriage.
So your argument only confirms the infertility of the current marriage. In addition, if we are to trust some rumours, there were some mysterious stillborns too.

05-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #1613
Veteran Member

The thread is about a mythical new K3.
It's not about projects that were started during the Hoya time, planned during the Hoya time, and Ricoh's own projects started shortly before the marriage.
Your previous post suggested that Ricoh Pentax has not yielded any offspring. That isn't true.
Your last post suggests that Ricoh Pentax should get no credit for approving, completing, funding, and completing projects under their watch. That's a naive view of business. Making million dollar decisions is not something to be taken lightly or so easily dismissed.

Pentax Ricoh has never made any promises of a K3. The hope of a full-frame Pentax has been little more than a group delusion fed by rumors and heresay. It may yet come, but to be disappointed that it hasn't been released yet is a bit like an unrequited love.
05-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #1614
Inactive Account

I'm interested in how you define "best".

To say that any pentax product is the "best" without heavily qualifying the statement is a FAR stretch.

Best entry level DSLR? d3200 is cheaper than the K-30 with a better sensor. Canon t3i has superior video capabilities especially with magic lantern. Perhaps your definition of "best" is weather sealing. A heavy duty plastic bag and rubber band is a few cents. It makes any system (including $20k+ digital backs) weather resistant.

Best APS-C DSLR? Even the d5200 has a better rated sensor. The d7100 has higher resolution, and also lacks an AA filter. d300s/d7100 and 7d autofocus are faster and more accurate.

Competitive enthusiast compact? Fuji has this market locked up.

As for pocket APS-C, I agree the Ricoh GR is pretty nice. But it starts with an R, not a P.

Don't get me wrong, I use pentax stuff, and they make nice gear. I just contest your claim that pentax is the "best" in anything. BUT, why does that matter anyway? Even if some piece of equipment is the "best" at some arbitrary metric, it's still just a tool.
05-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #1615
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ytango Quote
Best entry level DSLR? d3200 is cheaper than the K-30 with a better sensor. Canon t3i has superior video capabilities especially with magic lantern. Perhaps your definition of "best" is weather sealing. A heavy duty plastic bag and rubber band is a few cents. It makes any system (including $20k+ digital backs) weather resistant.
K30 has a pentaprism. Even the D5200 has a pentamirror. If you're going to have an APS-C sized VF, a prism vs a mirror is quality any way you look at it.

The K-30 is also a generation older than the 3200 and 5200 so the sensor divide is reflected in the price now. WR is pretty important. Beats a bag. The pentaprism, the twin dials, and the WR are pro features in a consumer grade body. The D3200 feels way less solid than the K-30.

Pentax is behind on video and networking, tethering, and flash. The K-30 takes AA batteries. Swivel LCD goes with video.
05-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #1616
Banned

Your previous post suggested that Ricoh Pentax has not yielded any offspring. That isn't true.
Your last post suggests that Ricoh Pentax should get no credit for approving, completing, funding, and completing projects under their watch. That's a naive view of business. Making million dollar decisions is not something to be taken lightly or so easily dismissed.
You don't know the details about the contract. Maybe Ricoh was obliged to finish all projects started and outlined, and complete them, and those were the terms of sale. Maybe Hoya was not so arrogant or dumb to leave the Pentax brand unprotected at least for a while. So it's pointless to argue about it.

However, I'm not certain why it's hard to understand that no one is bashing Pentax for making cameras like the K-5, K-5II or K-30. We all use them, this way or that.

But the point here, about which some users are frustrated about, is that in the nearly 2 years we have not seen any new DSLR from Pentax Ricoh that is clearly a new brainchild of the two companies. Question is: how long it takes then if 2 years is not enough? 3? 5? That lack of commitment may indicate that something is rather not going well.

And I'm even more frustrated that any such founded criticism is deliberately numbed with pointless arguments and claims that have nothing to do with the question asked, and with the concern clearly expressed.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Ricoh has never made any promises of a K3. The hope of a full-frame Pentax has been little more than a group delusion fed by rumors and heresay. It may yet come, but to be disappointed that it hasn't been released yet is a bit like an unrequited love.
Yes, and that's why the suggestion to conclude this thread.
05-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #1617
Veteran Member

You don't know the details about the contract. Maybe Ricoh was obliged to finish all projects started and outlined, and complete them, and those were the terms of sale. Maybe Hoya was not so arrogant or dumb to leave the Pentax brand unprotected at least for a while. So it's pointless to argue about it.

However, I'm not certain why it's hard to understand that no one is bashing Pentax for making cameras like the K-5, K-5II or K-30. We all use them, this way or that.

But the point here, about which some users are frustrated about, is that in the nearly 2 years we have not seen any new DSLR from Pentax Ricoh that is clearly a new brainchild of the two companies. Question is: how long it takes then if 2 years is not enough? 3? 5? That lack of commitment may indicate that something is rather not going well.

And I'm even more frustrated that any such founded criticism is deliberately numbed with pointless arguments and claims that have nothing to do with the question asked, and with the concern clearly expressed.

Yes, and that's why the suggestion to conclude this thread.

We can speculate all we want about where the Hoya era ended and the Ricoh era began, what was in the contracts, and whose fingerprint is on what camera. It's fun to try and read the tea leaves, isn't it?

But the only facts that we have are what cameras were released when and under which parent company. By that fact-based criteria my list stands.

You're free to disagree, but you have to admit that your position is built on hypothesis, supposition, and speculation, not facts. Me, I'll go with facts.
05-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #1618
ogl
Banned

which one?
Do you mean Nikon D7100?
You mean XZ-2 or RX-100?

No. Pentax Ricoh has another problems, and no FF is the result of all this problems.
K-30 has no good sales. Trading at a loss. If this camera is the best entry-level, why it's not profitable?

FF is the indicator of company progress...The alarm bell is very slack work of company last year.
GR is only one new product for last year. Today is May, 24.

We became the sect of awaiters. Do we really like to "ENJOY WAITING"?

Is this silence - the calm before the storm or the calm before death?
05-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #1619
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
K30 has a pentaprism. Even the D5200 has a pentamirror. If you're going to have an APS-C sized VF, a prism vs a mirror is quality any way you look at it.

The K-30 is also a generation older than the 3200 and 5200 so the sensor divide is reflected in the price now. WR is pretty important. Beats a bag. The pentaprism, the twin dials, and the WR are pro features in a consumer grade body. The D3200 feels way less solid than the K-30.

Pentax is behind on video and networking, tethering, and flash. The K-30 takes AA batteries. Swivel LCD goes with video.
Pentaprism or pentamirror - who care about it when the life-cycle of camera is not above 3-4 year now?
05-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #1620
Pentaxian

Ahh... Pentax-bashing at it's finest, an usual morning on Pentax forums (if I want a more constructive approach towards Pentax, should I go to Canon or Nikon forums?)
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No. Pentax Ricoh has another problems, and no FF is the result of all this problems.
K-30 has no good sales. Trading at a loss. If this camera is the best entry-level, why it's not profitable?
Show me proof that K-30 is indeed "trading at a loss", or I'll have to assume you made that up.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentaprism or pentamirror - who care about it when the life-cycle of camera is not above 3-4 year now?
Let me understand; if Pentax has the better feature, it's "who care about it", but when Pentax is somewhat behind, it's "the sky is falling". Is that correct?

Why on Earth would Hoya put such conditions in the contract? That's pure nonsense; are you so desperate to bash Ricoh?
Of course Ricoh continued the projects in development, they had to, because otherwise they would've been completely silent. That's perfectly normal, and doesn't need to be enforced by any contract terms.

More nonsense. The deal was completed on 1st October 2011, we're 4 months away from your "nearly 2 years", and you're already complaining that "2 years is not enough". How do you know they won't have anything by then?

QuoteOriginally posted by ytango Quote
The K-30 is clearly the better camera, if you ignore the branding. If you can't see that, then no matter what Pentax does it's automatically inferior in your eyes.