Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #1816
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'd prefer that Pentax engineers work on improved AF and flash support with APS-C than FF with the same old AF and flash.
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes:
+1 and then some
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro:
Hear, hear!
Add me to the chorus. James Malcolm, are you listening?

05-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #1817
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Think anything will actually be released this year on the DSLR front? April came and went, rumors buzzed around and came to nothing. Before there were leaks and such, but so far nothing at all. I liked it when I could blow the Nikon guys away with my camera that did crazy ISO range and dynamic range, but I can't do that any more. It makes me sad.
Why not? 7 months are plenty, for new products.
Let's remember how many K-mount DSLRs they launched, over years:
2012: 3 (K-5 II and K-5 IIs differing only by the AA filter)
2011: 0 (being sold by Hoya disrupted their operations)
2010: 2
2009: 2
2008: 3
2007: 1 (being bought by Hoya disrupted their operations)
2006: 4 (K110D and K100D were almost identical)
2005: 2
2004: 1
2003: 1

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'd prefer that Pentax engineers work on improved AF and flash support with APS-C than FF with the same old AF and flash.
Why either improved AF and flash support, or FF with the same old AF and flash?
05-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #1818
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But can you really count the K5II/s as a new one?
05-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #1819
Veteran Member

Personally I don't count the K-5, K-30, K-5II as three DSLR's.

Honestly I basically consider them 'one'. How much difference is there, really? I understand that for others there might be a world of difference but for me it's basically a flip of the coin.

Similarly, removing the AA filter is interesting to me but it doesn't make me think they've been hard at work.

05-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #1820
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

Honestly I basically consider them 'one'. How much difference is there, really? I understand that for others there might be a world of difference but for me it's basically a flip of the coin.

Similarly, removing the AA filter is interesting to me but it doesn't make me think they've been hard at work.
One? Is that a joke? Two, right, but one ?
05-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #1821
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Add me to the chorus. James Malcolm, are you listening?
He listens to the wind and different EM and geothermal signals. His headquarters are transformed into the Pentax SETI equivalent. Due to total communication breakdown, silencing of all marketing activities and the decision of Pentax management to move their headquarters and research labs on a remote island in the far east, called Japan, people like Jim are devising their own ways to guess what Pentax may be working on at the moment.
05-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #1822
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess a conundrum for Pentax is that historically they have tended to pack the features into their cameras, one way of making them excellent value compared to the deliberate stratification followed by Canonikon where features are left in or off depending on the price point. However, if APS-C is maxing out at 24 mp, and if cheaper 24 mp sensors can be extended most of the way down the scale as in the D3200, then playing around with the feature set assumes a new importance. OK, at the moment some 24 mp sensors are clearly better than others from what I've read. But with time and new iterations from the fabs, that might even out. Ho hum.

If I recall, a Ricoh or Pentax person said shortly after the takeover that four DSLRs at any one time was what was needed to offer a convincing range, which would mean at least two more this year or three if an existing camera is to be replaced since it is pretty hard to count the K5II/K5IIs as two different cams. Or maybe that wasn't what he said. Who knows. By post 1800++ about the mythical K3, I guess it doesn't really matter. Actually I'd guess that four DSLRs is overdoing it right now if the sensors are all the same or nearly so. Maybe three in the range and a nice APS-C Pentax mirrorless in the vein of the MX-1. So say, two new DSLRs this year and a mirrorless and some new lenses, and maybe that flash shown at CP+ - these would make this a bumper Pentax year when you add in their non-ASP-C and Ricoh cameras

Last edited by mecrox; 05-30-2013 at 02:35 PM.
05-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #1823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
He listens to the wind and different EM and geothermal signals. His headquarters are transformed into the Pentax SETI equivalent. Due to total communication breakdown, silencing of all marketing activities and the decision of Pentax management to move their headquarters and research labs on a remote island in the far east, called Japan, people like Jim are devising their own ways to guess what Pentax may be working on at the moment.
Uluru, do you intend on providing any input of interest or is the purpose of your presence here only bashing exercise of the worse taste ?
05-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #1824
Forum Member

Next APS-C camera will be shown in mid September 2013. (Two models, one without AA filter)
FF camera in June 2014.
Best Regards
05-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #1825
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Uluru, do you intend on providing any input of interest or is the purpose of your presence here only bashing exercise of the worse taste ?
Your ratio of members approved posts is 1:100. Mine is 1:5.
05-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #1826
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardoruca Quote
Next APS-C camera will be shown in mid September 2013. (Two models, one without AA filter)
FF camera in June 2014.
Best Regards
Jeepers, if true that would leave the APS-C base with just one camera that's fully up to speed. By the close of this year both the K30 and the K5II will be showing their age and the competition doesn't sit still. And ramping up for an FF won't leave room for much else in early 2014. Hard to believe. Scary.
05-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #1827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Your ratio of members approved posts is 1:100. Mine is 1:5.
Popularity is no measure of truth ("We'll give him a fair trial, and then we'll hang him").
05-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #1828
Veteran Member

Regarding the GXR:
I believe that within 10 years you'll be buying, not just lenses, but lenses with the camera built into them. I know that sounds odd but imagine a 300mm where the entire lens barrel counts as the camera. It would be possible for a live-view LCD or EVF on the end or a headset for display. Think of a monocular and you'll get my meaning. I'm sure the tech' would get cheap enough for a scenario like this to work quite well.

Holding on to a D800E with grip and a long lens feels very unstable.. the weight is offset from the right hand that is holding the combo and thus just a "lens-barrel-style-camera" would be far more stable. I happen to think that the GXR was on the right path it's just that they needed to go one step further for it to really work.

PS: Another possibility could be a circular 'ring' camera where the grip is always in one orientation but that the camera rotates within the grip for portrait/landscape modes.

RE: K-3:
1. Touch screen with touch focus point selection
2. viewfinder to display distance scale
3. AF now calculates Hyperfocal focus
4. AF bracketing
5. On Sensor Phase Detection AF
6. Sensor with no Bayer Filter
7. Sensor front/back tilt for DOF control
8. built-in GPS
9. Focus peaking with different colours for front/back OOF areas (red/green) or selected color for sharpest point.

some are possible others maybe not at this time.

Last edited by bossa; 05-30-2013 at 04:28 PM.
05-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #1829
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

Nonsense. The K-30 and the K-5II are two separate models, clearly differentiated by features, components and price targets.

I mentioned the K-5 II and IIs as differing only by the AA filter, despite everyone here knowing that, because they indeed can be counted as minor variations of a single model; while I was correct to say 3 DSLRs were announced in 2012, counting only 2 models is also correct IMO.
But that's irrelevant; the point was to show that Pentax launches only few DSLRs each year, and that there is enough time for that in the remaining 7 months. The later will be confirmed by Pentax, I have no doubts.
05-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #1830
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
One? Is that a joke? Two, right, but one ?
There's a styling difference. One uses 12-bit processing, the other uses 14-bit.

They both have two dials, use the same sensor, appears to be the same size AF sensor if not exactly the same AF sensor, buttons in roughly the same spots, same physical size of camera, same weight, both WR...

What are the big differences between any of the K-5, K-30, and K-5II? A low-light AF improvement? Focus peaking?

To me those are firmware-update levels of improvement, not a 'new' camera.