Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #2341

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I used to do that with my MX! And I do that with my Q and the 03 Fish Eye:

But the Nikon 1 AF is so blazing fast that I don't have to resort to antique methods LOL.

AFAIK, Sony has introduced PDAF on one of their NEX cameras, and it's slow. And Canon's just released something using technology similar to the Nikon on-chip PDAF, so we'll see if the smaller CX sensor has in some way helped the V1 AF or if the technology can evolve to larger sensors.

And that's the reason why I brought up the V1 in the first place, to counter perceptions that mirrorless/EVF cameras can't shoot action. My experience with the Nikon V1 is that this first generation technology is already faster and more reliable than my K-5. I certainly hope that Pentax is looking into similar technology, lest they fall even further behind the AF curve.

At the end of the day, the V1's usability is quite poor for someone like me that is used to setting everything manually. If it had typically slow mirrorless AF.C I might have ditched it by now. But lightning fast AF is quite compelling, enough to keep me on board. For soccer moms and dads, fast AF may very well be the killer app.

Hi, Is that a Honda NC700X?
looks like it...I just got one a couple of days ago.
Just curious.

08-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #2342
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaibil1 Quote
Hi, Is that a Honda NC700X?
looks like it...I just got one a couple of days ago.
Just curious.
Why yes it is!
08-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #2343

Why yes it is!
Hi,
I just got one a few days ago. I actually did it to go to more places to take pictures and enjoy the ride at the same time.
Really excited to find one here .
btw, how and where do you place your camera in order to take a pic like this?
I will send a private message if I have more questions so I dont use the wrong thread for this.
08-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #2344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Whatever sensor they decide I hope we see a much faster & more accurate AF. A larger and brighter VF.
I think the speed has now caught up Nikon. I've tried my K-30 out against a D7000 and there was no difference. MOst difference I noticed were in the lenses where my 18-135 was just as quick as Nikon glass and screw drive fast 50's were actually a bit bette in favour of Pentax (with in-body SR).

AF tracking, that's better with Nikon IMO. Those predictive algorithms and sub-sensors are something Pentax desperately needs.

How do you get a larger and brighter VF than 100%? They've given up magnification to get there and with a rear LCD and Live View 100% is where all DSLR OVF's should be with the option of a further magnifier like the O-ME53.

08-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #2345
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I think the speed has now caught up Nikon. I've tried my K-30 out against a D7000 and there was no difference. MOst difference I noticed were in the lenses where my 18-135 was just as quick as Nikon glass and screw drive fast 50's were actually a bit bette in favour of Pentax (with in-body SR).

AF tracking, that's better with Nikon IMO. Those predictive algorithms and sub-sensors are something Pentax desperately needs.

How do you get a larger and brighter VF than 100%? They've given up magnification to get there and with a rear LCD and Live View 100% is where all DSLR OVF's should be with the option of a further magnifier like the O-ME53.
That may be. I still have the K-5 and it can't track a 7 week old puppy that can't even run yet.

Coverage doesn't have anything to do with brightness. I can change screens and get a brighter VF.
08-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #2346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That may be. I still have the K-5 and it can't track a 7 week old puppy that can't even run yet.

Coverage doesn't have anything to do with brightness. I can change screens and get a brighter VF.
Coverage can impact brightness substantially, and so can changing a screen, but overall brightness has no objective measure:

Understanding Viewfinders

For AF comparison, the most objective test EVER:

I list upgrades to the AF as the #1 technical issue for Pentax, above even FF. This has long been the Achilles' Heel of the system, sadly continued with the K-500 and the loss of focus indicators. Terrible, brand-wrecking penny pinching.
08-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #2347
Closed Account

That may be. I still have the K-5 and it can't track a 7 week old puppy that can't even run yet. .
It only works on big dogs;

08-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #2348
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
It only works on big dogs;
F/9.5 with a 58mm lens is going to yield a a huge DoF with APS-C. Shoot that at F/2.8 and see how many you get.
08-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #2349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaibil1 Quote
Hi,
I just got one a few days ago. I actually did it to go to more places to take pictures and enjoy the ride at the same time.
Really excited to find one here .
btw, how and where do you place your camera in order to take a pic like this?
I will send a private message if I have more questions so I dont use the wrong thread for this.
These threads wander like singletrack over a mountain pass, so I don't think many will mind a little moto talk....

I had the NC700x for a story I was doing in Ontario. Fun little thing; I enjoy bikes that you can cane and whip on the street WFO, much more involving than the uber-powered bikes.

In case anyone is wondering what we are talking about:

Regarding how to get that first shot. You've got to rig up a mounting system that puts the Q over your shoulder. Set the intervalometer, ride like the wind, and hope you get something. I'll often mount on my body vs the bike; the body absorbs bike vibration.
08-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #2350
Closed Account

F/9.5 with a 58mm lens is going to yield a a huge DoF with APS-C. Shoot that at F/2.8 and see how many you get.
It was a brilliant Sunny day so shutter speed of 1/1500 to stop action & aperture around f8, the sweet spot of most lenses. I was concerned only with the dog. The lens was a 50-135 SDM.

But okay, here's a 2.8 example. Low tungsten light so ISO 6400. Same 50-135 SDM at 135 & K-5 body. I tracked her the same as the dog.
Attached Images

08-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #2351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
It was a brilliant Sunny day so shutter speed of 1/1500 to stop action & aperture around f8, the sweet spot of most lenses. I was concerned only with the dog. The lens was a 50-135 SDM.

But okay, here's a 2.8 example. Low tungsten light so ISO 6400. Same 50-135 SDM at 135 & K-5 body. I tracked her the same as the dog.
Both great shots.. makes me want to grab another 50-135, especially since Pentax now has a two year warranty in OZ.
08-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #2352
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax now has a two year warranty in OZ
This is good news. Someone should tell camera retailers though, as all that I've looked at recently still say 1 year.
08-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #2353

These threads wander like singletrack over a mountain pass, so I don't think many will mind a little moto talk....

I had the NC700x for a story I was doing in Ontario. Fun little thing; I enjoy bikes that you can cane and whip on the street WFO, much more involving than the uber-powered bikes.

In case anyone is wondering what we are talking about:

Regarding how to get that first shot. You've got to rig up a mounting system that puts the Q over your shoulder. Set the intervalometer, ride like the wind, and hope you get something. I'll often mount on my body vs the bike; the body absorbs bike vibration.
Wow!!
Sweet ride !!
Thanks for the information and taking the time to reply.
08-08-2013, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #2354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karryuunf Quote
there is no Moore's Law. You're trying to extend something which doesn't exist to the EVFs, nice try but it won't work
"Moore's Law" (over 12 million hits on Google) is a term that identifies technology and industry trends recognised worldwide over decades. If you are denying what is described by the Wikipedia article, the onus is on you to provide the evidence and analysis for your case.

If you are claiming that these established trends in electronics don't apply to electronic viewfinders, again the onus is on you to provide the evidence and analysis! (The year by year improvements in EVFs are compatible with Moore's Law, and obviously haven't stopped).

See "Why Moore's Law Applies to Photography". Perhaps you have a response to that article?
08-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #2355
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
"Moore's Law" (over 12 million hits on Google) is a term that identifies technology and industry trends recognised worldwide over decades. If you are denying what is described by the Wikipedia article, the onus is on you to provide the evidence and analysis for your case.
You just lost any credibility. Bye bye.