Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #2416
Forum Member

It is very very sweet and not being named K-3 ! One should be looking forward to this late fall leaves Ffalling. Read between the lines somewhere. K-mount BTW.

08-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #2417
Pentaxian

Huh. I'm not sure I get it. What do you think, ffolks?
08-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #2418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
To me, the interesting change about watches is how the smartphone has reduced the wearing of watches altogether by those under about age 30.
I still wear mine - my luminox watches don't need to be recharged like a smartphone does, also the illumination of the watch face isn't detrimental to your night vision like the invariably bright screens on smartphones. I like watches, which puts me in a bit of a minority..but I couldn't care less.
08-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #2419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pento57mm Quote
It is very very sweet and not being named K-3 ! One should be looking forward to this late fall leaves Ffalling. Read between the lines somewhere. K-mount BTW.
Finally some actual K-3 speculation. More details pls. Give us what you've got.

08-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #2420
Veteran Member

To me, the interesting change about watches is how the smartphone has reduced the wearing of watches altogether by those under about age 30.
Under 30? I'm close to 50 and stopped wearing a watch the day I got the first cell phone with a clock. Around 1995 or so. And I don't think I know that many people my age who wear watches.
08-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #2421
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Under 30? I'm close to 50 and stopped wearing a watch the day I got the first cell phone with a clock. Around 1995 or so. And I don't think I know that many people my age who wear watches.
In my case I stopped wearing watches because the wristband usually causes uncomfortable typing on my PCs keyboard. So there's not necessarily a connection with mobile phone usage.
08-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #2422
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wear a watch for the second hand, as I work in the medical profession -- handy for counting pulse rates, etc. A smart phone (or even a digital wrist watch) can't do that.

I guess Apple is looking at smart wrist watches in the future, though? Sounds like Dick Tracy to me.

08-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #2423
Pentaxian

Sony launched its second version of their SmartWatch. It's a multi-function device which, apparently, also shows the time.
By the way, there are smartphone apps which measures pulse rates - you'd just have to put your finger over the camera.

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-11-2013 at 03:13 AM.
08-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #2424
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The question really isn't if the cat can be in a superimposed state but if the human conscious mind can be.
Well, I'm with Schrödinger here (as opposed to Wigner).

Somewhere superimposition stops and I feel it is much more likely that it is an issue of scale/complexity (macroscopic vs quantum-scale) rather than "unconcious vs concious").

The cat will be dead at some point, whether Wigner or his friend know (observe) it or not. Questioning this, is not helpful, AFAIC.

Or is it impossible for drunk people to (really) die alone, because they are not concious enough to observe their own death?

Anyhow, we probably won't solve the problem in this thread.
08-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #2425
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To the user, the utility of knowing the time by viewing the position of the hands on the face has become intuitive. Reading the digits is cognitive. Intuitive is faster and more comfortable.

Yes, the analog nature of a watch is more intuitive for us. Watch makers came out with non-mechanical analog watches which displayed the hands. Basically they were a flop so there's an example for Barry where electronics were rejected in a traditionally mechanical application.
08-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #2426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Yes, the analog nature of a watch is more intuitive for us. Watch makers came out with non-mechanical analog watches which displayed the hands. Basically they were a flop so there's an example for Barry where electronics were rejected in a traditionally mechanical application.
And glass cockpits on planes are (mission critical) examples where both analogue and digital readouts are provided electronically, not mechanically.
08-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #2427
Pentaxian

Glass cockpits... aren't those some sort of optical viewfinders?
08-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #2428
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
And glass cockpits on planes are (mission critical) examples where both analogue and digital readouts are provided electronically, not mechanically.
How many backup systems are in place in cockpits? Each implementation of each technology is assessed through associated risk that goes with it. You wearing a watch for the film premiere, taking a snapshot of a cat by looking through the EVF of a camera, and an intercontinental passenger airplane, are three different systems, with totally different risk matrices.
08-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #2429
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. K-mount FF to EVF to Godwin's Law to wristwatches to head-up displays in 4 pages.

The Tamron Adaptall-2 52B 90/2.5 Macro has the most impressive "snap" into focus I've ever seen. Through a matte/ring prism analog viewfinder, too.
08-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #2430
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Are you suggesting that electronics can replace mechanical systems in many cases? Yeah, we got that. That doesn't mean people will choose an electronic alternative in every case.