Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #2701
Pentaxian

It depends on the sensor read-out speed, and how fast it can write the data to the buffer/RAM (besides the mechanical limitations).
Adding a second processor would speed up processing of the already buffered data, thus not impacting FPS. Adding more RAM would just increase the buffer size (and it's the slowest module which sets the speed). Anyway, I doubt that memory found on a grip, accessed via a limited pin count connector, could be faster than the tightly integrated buffer from the same circuit board.

How about:
+ a better power supply, allowing for higher fps (Nikon-style), effectively "overclocking" the camera?
+ integrated storage, e.g. for movies, with WiFi for uploading the data to a server

09-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #2702
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How about:
+ a better power supply, allowing for higher fps (Nikon-style), effectively "overclocking" the camera?
+ integrated storage, e.g. for movies, with WiFi for uploading the data to a server
I like!
09-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #2703
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
True enough, but I dont think there is any shortage of venting on these forums. Someone at my workplace once suggested a no complaining policy, you can only imagine how much the complainers complained about that suggestion.
No shortage of venting, indeed! But having it all in one place would make a great late night read.
09-19-2013, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #2704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
No shortage of venting, indeed! But having it all in one place would make a great late night read.
Very dangerous! Concentrating all the venting into just one point will rupture space/time and create a wormhole.

09-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #2705
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Very dangerous! Concentrating all the venting into just one point will rupture space/time and create a wormhole.
And typically, Pentax haven't provided FF for wormholes. The whole universe is going to the dogs.
09-19-2013, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #2706
Pentaxian

All this super concentrated venting will radically shift the solar winds causing our sun to implode ! We + Pentax = DOOMED !!!
09-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #2707

OK, but still, I personally find them extremely difficult to use in bright light situations, compared to any DSLR i have ever used? I would never want to use one at a wedding where changing light situations and fast action would make a mirrorless camera more of a project than a help.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Well, based on my K-01 experience:

1. No mirror slap, so you can use lower shutter speeds hand-held,
which is great in low light.

2. You can get precise manual focusing, even with a lens at f/1.2,
which is great in low light. (Did I say that already?)

3. CDAF focuses accurately with lenses like the Tamron 17-50,
which are hard to get adjusted properly for PDAF on a DSLR.

4. You can use lenses that would foul the mirror on a DSLR.

5. You can photograph from angles and places
where you couldn't get your head behind the eyepiece of a viewfinder.

YMMV.

09-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #2708
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
And typically, Pentax haven't provided FF for wormholes. The whole universe is going to the dogs.
LOL! A crop wormhole... so... a "maggothole" then?
09-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #2709
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
On my local Q colour configurator it says: "Wait for approximately 5 weeks for your camera to be specially made for you and delivered."

I'm not sure why it should be automatically assumed that Ricoh will be able to put a kiosk in all those stores where it currently does not offer physical cameras. Why would those stores want kiosks rather than cameras? And why would the store want a Ricoh kiosk when everyone else is doing kiosks as well, which they will if BTO is the no-brainer financial winner some seem to think it is? The logic here leads inexorably to online-only sales, it seems to me.

Apart from the small matter of Ricoh needing to make huge investments in back-end systems and modular hardware design, for which there doesn't seem any public evidence, you are making BTO sound as easy as falling off a log. I don't believe it is. In my country, I have to search high and low and travel for hours to find a physical selection of Ricoh items. If the same applies to a BTO kiosk, then as a customer I am no better off. BTO may make it more profitable for Ricoh to sell things but the key is making it easier for the customer to buy those things.
I've said many times here that Ricoh's objectives are measured over the intermediate term, which is 5-7 years. Ours are measured over 5-7 weeks. At this time Ricoh might state there is a 5 week lead time but that isn't necessarily a permanent condition. If BTO becomes a Ricoh differentiator - a manufacturing hallmark - and one reason that might happen is because they are not captive to their existing capital commitments the way the majors are - it will happen because computers and robots allow it to happen and because Ricoh, the 279th largest company on earth, chooses to exploit opportunity..
09-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #2710
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
All this super concentrated venting will radically shift the solar winds causing our sun to implode ! We + Pentax = DOOMED !!!
Great to see some sci-fi geekery here!
09-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #2711
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Great to see some sci-fi geekery here!
Welcome to the Q continuum.
09-19-2013, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #2712
Pentaxian

All of this has happened before, and will happen again.
09-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #2713
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I'm pretty sure the D800 shutter mechanism is capable of much more than 4 fps. The limiting factor seems to be the amount of data that has to be shifted and processed. I could be linked to the sensor read-out speed, as you say, but adding a second processor would probably speed things up. So would a larger, faster buffer. Not everyone needs 10 fps, but those needing it could then invest in the appropriate grip with the necessary processing boost.<br />
<br />
And since we're dreaming, I'd like a new sports car, too.
<br />
<br />
According to Hogan article the Processor used by Nikon and Pentax can NOT work with a second one
09-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #2714
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
According to Hogan article the Processor used by Nikon and Pentax can NOT work with a second one
Not even future processors?
09-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #2715
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Not even future processors?
Nikon has a separate subsidiary with Fujitsu who make the processor. It's a separate product only for Nikon.