Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DxoMark positively reviews 35mm f2.4 AL

Since no-one has mentioned this here yet...DXO has reviewed and tested the new Pentax SMC 35mm f2.4 AL, and they like it very much:
QuoteQuote:
"On the new Pentax K5, this lens has a superb performance, achieving 15 points on the DxOMark score. Looking further, the DxOMark map remains green for almost all apertures up until f8. This indicates that coupled with a Pentax K5, it will produce excellent image quality on even the most difficult conditions."
etc etc with only a slight niggle about resolution, which isn't actually matched by the data they present.

Lots of comparisons and more details here:
DxOMark - Pentax smc 35mm f2.4 AL, a new 35 mm available for comparison

fyi

05-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is great to see, as all the Pentax glass on DxO seems to regularly score in the single digits, while Tamron and Sigma lenses of the same type are in the teens. I suppose a lot of this has to do with the fact that the Pentax lenses often get tested on a K10D when the rest are on 12 and 15mp CaNikons.
05-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
This is great to see, as all the Pentax glass on DxO seems to regularly score in the single digits, while Tamron and Sigma lenses of the same type are in the teens. I suppose a lot of this has to do with the fact that the Pentax lenses often get tested on a K10D when the rest are on 12 and 15mp CaNikons.
Yeah, all of the really high-scoring lenses are tested on the high-MP full-frame bodies. There's a definite interplay between sensor and lens in these results (as you'd expect).
05-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

cool, I just got this lens a few days ago and I can confirm

05-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

yeah me too.. this is my favorite lens so far..
05-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
Banned

This a very descent score. Look at this comparison of budget lenses (50mm for Canikon).

DxOMark - Compare lenses

Change the camera's to D7000, 7D and K-5 to make a good comparison on all current body's.

Pentax has don a good job!
05-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yea and hooray!

I knew there was a reason why I like it better than the FA 35mm F/2.0.

NaCl(nice to see my subjective preferences objectified!)H2O

05-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

DxOMark - Compare lenses

I don't know, with the d7000 + 35 f/1.8, 7d + 50 f/1.8 and the K-5 + 35 f/2.4, it isn't all that impressive looking. Lowest score, bad light transmission, middle of the road sharpness, most expensive.
05-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
DxOMark - Compare lenses

I don't know, with the d7000 + 35 f/1.8, 7d + 50 f/1.8 and the K-5 + 35 f/2.4, it isn't all that impressive looking. Lowest score, bad light transmission, middle of the road sharpness, most expensive.
But the K-mount can be stabilized, not so the Canon or Nikon's.

That's worth more than a stop and plays right to Pentax's strength which is small, compact primes that can be stabilized.

Price is a problem.
05-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
But the K-mount can be stabilized, not so the Canon or Nikon's.

That's worth more than a stop and plays right to Pentax's strength which is small, compact primes that can be stabilized.

Price is a problem.
Stabilizing a 35mm isn't that big of an issue. It is small and compact, but not sure if its moreso than the nikon 35 or canon 50.
05-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stabilizing a 35mm isn't that big of an issue. It is small and compact, but not sure if its moreso than the nikon 35 or canon 50.
As a 35mm it is smaller than Canon's 50mm. That's quite a feat, likely only achievable by limiting to f/2.4. In-body IS allows for weight savings in the lens which it is clear the Nikon cannot achieve without adding even more weight. The Canon EF 35/1.4 USM is a monster.

Stabilization is a HUGE when it comes to exposure. It's the raison d'etre of the Pentax lens line-up and focus (sic) on primes. In a real life shot at 35mm FL that's an easy 2 stops and provides a clear advantage over the Canikons.

What I sacrifice in light I gain in sharpness; and what I gain in ISO with new bodies I make up the difference easily (ISO 400 is the new 200, etc.) One simply needs to stop this lens down less to achieve excellent sharpness than one would with Canikon. That's the Pentax design concept.

DxOMark scores are very useful but are no substitute for real world situations where IS makes sharp shots readily available. This is simply an advantage Canikon cannot get to in any way with primes. I shoot both Pentax and Nikon and this a definite Pentax advantage.

Everyone gripes it is not faster, but then it would weight substantially more negating some of its size and distortion advantages.

I wonder if the t-stop difference between the Pentax and the Canikon's has anything to do with the coatings, like those we see on the DA 15 with its stellar flare resistance.

I'd say the Pentax DA35/2.4 is US$20 over-priced MSRP.
05-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Stabilizing only helps camera shake, not to freeze subject movement. I know SR can help up to 4 stops, but thats only for static subjects. f/2.4 is f/2.4 -- if thats not enough to give you the shutter speed you need, then SR doesn't matter.
05-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stabilizing only helps camera shake, not to freeze subject movement. I know SR can help up to 4 stops, but thats only for static subjects. f/2.4 is f/2.4 -- if thats not enough to give you the shutter speed you need, then SR doesn't matter.
Who said IS freezes subject movement? There are always 2 movements: one holding the camera and everything reflecting light.

Stabilization mitigates the former substantially, but only on a Pentax 35mm, not Canikon. It helps to have a light lens as well. Your 50% better off with the Pentax making it a sharper lens for real-life performance.

IS (SR is Canon; you're in a Pentax forum) allows for a slower shutter speed than you would normally need for any handheld shot. I get IS "go" tracking BIF. It gets me a sharper shot. If I want lower light performance, ISO is the way to go. Faster glass is heavier (working against IS systems), much more expensive, less portable, etc.

The DA35mm/2.4 is specifically designed for high-ISO, low-weight, in-body IS cameras. It has considerable advantages over what Canikon offers.
05-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
IS (SR is Canon; you're in a Pentax forum)
Damn, I thought I bought Pentax K-x, but since it has clear "SR" written white on red, I guess it is either made by Canon, or more likely, it is Chinese counterfeit.
05-26-2011, 03:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxOMark - Compare lenses

Why do you say that? If we forget about the not very comparable Canon 50mm for a while, the Pentax lens better or equal to the Nikkor in all aspects except transmission. And given that SR wins back that difference (and more - and you get the much lower weight as a bonus, too) the ONLY reason to prefer the Nikon out of these two lenses (with very similar prices) is if you're a hound for shallow DoF and find f/2.4 unsatisfying.