Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WyldRage Quote
It's a step in the right direction, but a big "mushroom" on top of the camra is not the best for travelling. I hope they integrate that GPS into their future DSLR bodies, like Sony with their A55.
I think this is a suggestion of where Pentax wants to take their pro-level system. I'd say there is at least a possibility down the road their future DSLRs will have GPS. Although I don't think it will be their next model because they have this accessory. Unless they decide to have GPS and non-GPS versions like they are doing with the new digicams. That way people could have in-body GPS, or use this accessory for GPS as needed (assuming they bought it for the K-5 and wanted to use it for the K-3 or whatever).

06-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

GPS looks really interesting

From the press release information it does look like I will be getting one of these Pentax GPS units. It looks really cool, especially the astro function. I wonder what else will be in the next FW update .
06-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
DAZ
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I wonder what else will be in the next FW update .
Pure speculation on my part but it would seem if you can have this kind of control of SR, have up to 9 blended in camera photos and do lens corrections in the camera then you should be able to do resolution addition and get more MP.

DAZ
06-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Hmm, this is cool. Unfortunately it doesn't support my K20D...incentive to get a newer model

06-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Meh. It doesn't support GLONASS.

Pentax is doomed.
06-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #21
juu
Veteran Member

So is this thing going to be more accurate than built-in GPSes other cameras have?
06-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #22
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why no support for K-7?
06-02-2011, 01:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The astrotracking tech sounds good, I have never been interested in gps/geotagging and never wanted a GPS camera add on, but with the Astro-tracking tech, I have to say I want one now

06-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

At the rate they are going I'm expecting my next DSLR to make me breakfast in bed. ;P
06-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #25
DAZ
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
So is this thing going to be more accurate than built-in GPSes other cameras have?
It is probably going to be more accurate as it has more GPS augmentation system it supports then probably any other camera with GPS. As the other systems that do have GPS augmentation donít have the ability to add in what direction the camera is pointing this would make the Pentax (for the time being) unique.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
why no support for K-7?
People have been complaining about the flash speed for years. As you build to the slowest component that was probably the shutter so the on board electronics and the hot shoe flash were built to go no faster than the shutter. With the new camera having a faster shutter it could probably have a faster flash speed but then the limit is the hot shoe flash and the on board electronics. The on board electronics not only have to be faster but also talk to a new faster flash and the flash has to talk back (so the camera knows that the flash can us a faster shutter speed). There is no reason to build a faster flash if there is no camera to us it on. So it is the hardware not just software that makes it possible to add the new GPS. So even thou Pentax may or may not have an interest in add the GPS to older cameras the older cameras probably just donít have the hardware.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Meh. It doesn't support GLONASS.

Pentax is doomed.
Oh no, it doesnít support Galileo. The EU is DOOMED.

DAZ
06-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

This is almost to funny. About a week ago I came up with this idea to use the SR to track stars while doing astro photography. ( I posted about it on the other forum as a firmware upgrade suggestion.)

I actually thought about mailing Pentax about it, but it turned out that they already had a patent describing it, and five days later the product is announced.

I think I almost have to buy it now...
06-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

A very clever idea from Pentax (and Gimbal). I'm glad to see them engaged in more innovation. Just think, in a few camera cycles, they may be able to build this into the camera. Now if only reviews would start noticing more of these interesting features....
06-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The astrophotography features look really useful.

Nothing else in there warrants the $150+ price premium over MTK2-based dataloggers (under $100) which, unlike this unit, have a chipset with proven performance. (This may have a chipset with proven performance, but the actual chipset used is undocumented.) 50 channels implies it might be a u-Blox 5 in which case it'll be decent, otherwise - who knows?

Recording camera heading is somewhat useful, but I wouldn't find it of enough use to warrant the price premium.

This unit is going to add a protrusion to your camera that will cause it to be prone to damage when in its bag, and it will also suffer accuracy degradation from improper antenna orientation during portrait oriented shots. A standalone logger can be velcroed to the top of a pack/bag so it's always in the optimal orientation.
06-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would gladly give this up for a teleconverter. I hope pentax did notr waste too much on this because any serious hiker has a gps unit any way and will use it to geotag his photos during post processing. I have geotagged my photos since the software became available,
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

This is great news. I want one.