Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I don't know how comfortable I'd be shooting action with via a 3" rear LCD held at arm's length. In fact, I cannot imagine it at all. I have enough trouble with a K-5 OVF - I sometimes lose track as it is when the aircraft (or whatever) does something unexpected. Perhaps I'm just close-minded or simply not very good?
I say it's more of the feeling of awkwardness. if I were going to tell my experience, it is more of driving an automatic transmission car from a manual transmission car where you got used to pressing the clutch even if it's not there. it can take a while to get to familiarize with the new habit. the other advantage of having an OVF is for a more stable and secure handheld shooting especially with long and heavy lenses due to the fact that the camera is pressed/resting against your head. the good thing about LV shooting is that you could see the whole scene since your eye is not fixated on the OVF but on the LV screen and the actual environment.

10-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #92
Inactive Account

The camera line is almost a non issue. The lens issue is HUGE. Look at canon. Developed the lens line before they really started delivering a leading FF body. It is a non issue. IF SAMSUNG develops the lenses then they will develop the camera in a world class line very soon. They know it is stupid to have a world class camera system without the lenses to make it a WORD class performer. My opinion.
No one likes my opinions here. Hoya sacked Pentax period. They closed the lens manufacturing which was a drain, while they got what they wanted.

What are the new owners going to do? No one know. There is no way to know until MONEY is spent in the right direction. That is not camera development in my opinion.

But I am really pulling for Pentax and the new owners to get some lenses out. I personally think the colors are the best in the industry. Hands down.

Last edited by garyk; 10-23-2011 at 04:31 AM.
10-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
The camera line is almost a non issue. The lens issue is HUGE. Look at canon. Developed the lens line before they really started delivering a leading FF body. It is a non issue. IF SAMSUNG develops the lenses then they will develop the camera in a world class line very soon. They know it is stupid to have a world class camera system without the lenses to make it a WORD class performer. My opinion.
No one likes my opinions here. Hoya sacked Pentax period. They closed the lens manufacturing which was a drain, while they got what they wanted.

What are the new owners going to do? No one know. There is no way to know until MONEY is spent in the right direction. That is not camera development in my opinion.

But I am really pulling for Pentax and the new owners to get some lenses out. I personally think the colors are the best in the industry. Hands down.
I just can't believe what Hoya was thinking. I would say it didn't have the confidence to get serious with it's Pentax line. having taken control of whatever spoils it got from Pentax, they failed to make use of of the potentiality of the old Pentax lenses. I mean really, how much does it cost to produce an old lens assembly?
10-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #94
Veteran Member

You nailed it exactly.

I do think Ricoh is serious about Pentax as a photography company, but it may take several years to fix the problems.

10-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the other advantage of having an OVF is for a more stable and secure handheld shooting especially with long and heavy lenses due to the fact that the camera is pressed/resting against your head.
If the camera has a tiltable LCD screen, you get a similar advantage by holding the camera against your chest and looking down at it. Of course, you have to give up breathing for a while, but you do get a three-point anchor that is stable.
10-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
If the camera has a tiltable LCD screen, you get a similar advantage by holding the camera against your chest and looking down at it. Of course, you have to give up breathing for a while, but you do get a three-point anchor that is stable.
true, although you also have to give up eye-level composition in most situations. also I'm not sure how far the screen would tilt pressed against your chest which won't be a hindrance to shooting. not to mention glare of course.
10-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #97
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

Terrific post!

I do have to disagree with regarding to the idea that Samsung "gets it" when it comes to lenses. Yes, they have put forth tremendous roadmaps for 2011 and 2012, but it is frustrating and disappointing that they have delivered almost nothing on their 2011 lens roadmap. Only now, 10 months into 2011, are we seeing limited availability on the 16mm, 60mm, and other items.

As for Pentax-Ricoh, I really hope they get back on the horse when it comes to lens production. The DA* are all impressive pieces of glass, and I am quite enamored with my 18-135 WR.
10-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
One of the advantages of the waist level VF or the lilt-able screen is that you can use a good camera strap to support the camera. You can hold the camera very stable by doing this.

10-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thethirdcoast Quote
Terrific post!

I do have to disagree with regarding to the idea that Samsung "gets it" when it comes to lenses. Yes, they have put forth tremendous roadmaps for 2011 and 2012, but it is frustrating and disappointing that they have delivered almost nothing on their 2011 lens roadmap. Only now, 10 months into 2011, are we seeing limited availability on the 16mm, 60mm, and other items.

As for Pentax-Ricoh, I really hope they get back on the horse when it comes to lens production. The DA* are all impressive pieces of glass, and I am quite enamored with my 18-135 WR.
with regards to Pentax, I would rather see them have a little more lens and camera perspective rather than having to come up with Pentax Q, 18-135 and DAL35/2.4. I don't mind the waiting as long as we have an idea of what Pentax has in-stored for us. so far, the only thing they gave us was Hoya selling them to Ricoh.
10-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter

One reason we have not see more Samsung is that the 85mm is scheduled to be released with the NX-20. The NX-20 was pulled back after Samsung saw the AF speed of the EP-3 and the EVF of the NEX-7. The NX-20 was originally slated for a July release. I would hope both are out by Christmas. I think it will be a very capable combination. Hopefully they will implement a MF peeking feature like the NEX-7.
10-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
One reason we have not see more Samsung is that the 85mm is scheduled to be released with the NX-20. The NX-20 was pulled back after Samsung saw the AF speed of the EP-3 and the EVF of the NEX-7. The NX-20 was originally slated for a July release. I would hope both are out by Christmas. I think it will be a very capable combination. Hopefully they will implement a MF peeking feature like the NEX-7.
are you referring to a different type of focus peaking? because the NX100 has one already. although different from that of Sony.
10-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adorama has the 30mm back in stock, what a deal that lens is. The cheap NX100s seem to be drying up though, I was hoping the kit would become too cheap to resist.

Edit, looks like they also have a $100 instant rebate on the nx200.