Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samsung releasing an 85mm soon? and some personal opinion.

some news regarding the Samsung 85mm just got in today. a beta-tester got a first-hand experience with the lens. with the way how things work with regards to testing the lens in the wild and releasing it thereafter in the market, as long as there are no complaints about it. so far, the news has been so far positive in the high degree, which is great news.

the supposed 85 seems to have much faster AF,silent, moderately priced, no CA (I got to see this), lighter and a bit more compact and smaller in size compared with other fast 85s in the market.

rumors has it that the lens will be available early this coming July/August or later this year.

here are my thoughts regarding Samsung's move,

Samsung is really serious about getting involved in the camera market with these developments and not just a plan without fruition. they have invested a lot of on R&D.

I can only speculate as to what Pentax is doing or their intentions are with regards to lens development, but it does look apparent that Pentax has somehow fell behind in this area. Pentax new lens offerings have somewhat fell under mediocrity and not better than what Samsung has recently offered. Pentax has offered a cheaply built 35mm meant for the budget conscious entry level market and a somehow overly priced weather-sealed consumer zoom with a new motor which it's performance lacks consistency on most parts of the zoom range thereby not making the lens any better than 16-45 + 55-300 combo in terms of optical performance. for the money, it's better for the Pentax users to just have those 2 zooms if they don't mind carrying 2 lenses. on the otherhand, Samsung made a better build and pancake style 30mm, aside from the fact that it is faster and just might be slightly better than the 35mm Pentax. for a few more bucks, you get yourself a better lens. aside from that, Samsung also offered a faster 20mm pancake compared to Pentax slower 21mm. an upcoming faster 16mm/2.4 (). looks like Samsung is releasing their own lighter counterpart versions of the pancake LTD but with faster aperture speed and a faster AF system, not to mention way cheaper and more affordable. aside from the fact that they are releasing a 60mm macro and fast 85mm which both will be great for portraiture and macro use and a 300mm for telephoto purposes. nice focal length lineup distribution if you would ask me.

from my perspective, Pentax seems to have concentrated more on camera development and possibly going mirrorless as Samsung already had. I don't think that Pentax would develop a sensor and is pretty much contented on using a Sony or other company manufactured sensor. Pentax would be pretty much be concentrating on functionalities, ergo, optimizing the sensor, and might probably improve the viewfinder and replacing the mirror.

Samsung on the otherhand could work and improve on their sensor design which is a priority if they want to stay and be competitive in the market. it is the one area that I have some issue with that can be improved. aside from that, the VF needs some work as well since I find it unsatisfactory in comparison with other cameras which have a fast, Large and really bright VF. AF can still be improved and such improvement will be beneficial for other uses such as action/sports photography where Pentax AF has poorly performed.

personally, on certain lenses, the Samsung system is worth considering for those who want a more compact or smaller APS-C system, thanks to the MILC concept. the only concern now is what Samsung has to offer next on their NX10 successor.

I would think that Samsung had gained more from their partnership with Pentax with the exchange of technology and possibly lens design. I guess the only difference that Samsung had explored and taken advantage of what design they inherited from Pentax and made it their own by improving on them. I guess Pentax offered those in exchange for finances from Samsung.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 06-07-2011 at 10:35 AM.
06-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The NX20 looks interesting. If the new 18MP Samsung sensor is comparable to the 16MP Sony it will be a big success. I still question Samsungs long term durability. Can someone expect the camera to last for 150K images?

I like the size and potential of the NX series. I like the direction Samsung appears to be going with their lenses. Really looking forward to see some images from the new 85mm f/1.4.

If they can create a 60mm macro that matches the Olympus 50mm f/2 with faster AF it will be a pretty amazing accomplishment. The Olympus 50mm f/2 is a very good lens, but with very slow AF.
06-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The NX20 looks interesting. If the new 18MP Samsung sensor is comparable to the 16MP Sony it will be a big success. I still question Samsungs long term durability. Can someone expect the camera to last for 150K images?

I like the size and potential of the NX series. I like the direction Samsung appears to be going with their lenses. Really looking forward to see some images from the new 85mm f/1.4.

If they can create a 60mm macro that matches the Olympus 50mm f/2 with faster AF it will be a pretty amazing accomplishment. The Olympus 50mm f/2 is a very good lens, but with very slow AF.
the 60mm is 1-stop slower at f2.8. although the rumors that are circulating suggests that it performs just as good as the Oly macro in terms of IQ. AF would really be a defining factor here so to speak. and yes, f2 would have made it really really nice. maybe Samsung could and would design a longer macro with F2 aperture in the near future?
06-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

I have the NX100 and its build quality is very high. It is predominantly plastic, but it feels very dense and weighty in the hand.

I concur regarding the Samsung NX roadmap. I felt that Samsung has a stronger roadmap than m4/3 or NEX, and they certainly have the assets to execute on that plan. That is one of the primary reasons I took the plunge into NX.

I am also eagerly awaiting the 60mm Macro. I will be happy if its image quality and handling manages to trump the Leica-branded Lumix 45mm Macro for the m4/3 mount.

06-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still question Samsungs long term durability
Samsung is an electronics juggernaut, they have always done things right - even low end standard consumer grade Samsung products have the feel and quality of competitors higher end models. Samsung customer service is near perfection, if you have an issue on most items, they resolve it in no time with no hassle.

In whole on the electronics front, there is only one competitor with Samsung, and that is Sony. If either one of these two giants (Samsung/Sony) were to get really serious in the DSLR market, it is a near guarantee that they will over take the market in no time.

This could be a good thing that Samsung is focusing on the DSLR, or it could be a bad thing. Pentax has a good knot tied with BOTH Samsung and Sony (again, two largest electronics companies in the world, by a huge margin), I think the way the market is going its only a matter of time before Hoya inks a deal with one of these two companies to take over the Pentax division. Me personally, I like being the only one on the block shooting with Pentax, if Samsung or Sony were to take over the Pentax division, me being the only one on the block shooting with pentax will be a thing of the past...

---
06-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I might consider Samsung depending on what their plans are regarding their next line of affordable prosumer cameras. that is the only thing that I'm left wondering about and leave me open for other options. if they can improve on the things that are lacking or are unsatisfactory on their previous product, then that would be great. as far as their lens offering is concerned, I have pretty much nothing to complain about. maybe Pentax can learn from Samsung, or they just needed some big-time financier.
06-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well if the lens is smaller, they probably made a new design making it not FF compatible but a real APS-C size lens. I would want that from Pentax aswell (O chips, I have the FA*).
06-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
its only a matter of time before Hoya inks a deal with one of these two companies to take over the Pentax division
I wonder why this hasn't happened before now. I'm not sure that there are any interested buyers out there.

06-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I think the way the market is going its only a matter of time before Hoya inks a deal with one of these two companies to take over the Pentax division
IMHO, the window for a Pentax purchase is pretty much closed. Sony has no need of Pentax knowledge anymore, and Samsung seems to be strong enough to go on without Pentax.

Anyway, I like Samsung's lens roadmap. Small, fast, and affordable pancakes.
06-07-2011, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think you will see Samsung or Sony express any interest in acquiring Pentax.

In the long run the OVF is dead. Mechanical shutters and mirror boxes are dead. Why spend millions of dollars to buy old technology? Pentax is going to have to spend millions in R&D to keep up and migrate to new technology while being tied down by a user base that will fight to keep legacy glass.

Samsung is completely free to develop a forward thinking system.

EVF and SLT are not mature enough yet to replace the OVF, but it is only a matter of time before it happens.

CDAF will eventually be faster than PDAF and with no mirror to move and no mechanical shutter cameras will be amazingly fast and vibration free.
06-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Forum Member

Winder, I can't agree with your more.
06-07-2011, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Do you honestly think that a purchase of Pentax would be for (Cough Cough) technology?

What is the absolute quickest and easiest way to overtake a retail market?
A. Build your product from the ground up and hope that it gains consumer confidence...
B. Purchase an established company with somewhat of a market share and expand upon its NAME...

Lets see here:

Press Release, Oct 20th, 2014
Samsung Electronics releases new groundbreaking DSLR Camera... YaDaDaDaDaDa...

-OR-

Press Release, Oct 20th, 2014
Samsung Electronics releases new groundbreaking Pentax DSLR Camera... YaDaDaDaDaDa...

The second one sounds quite a bit better, both for the owning company and for the consumer.

Thats all it takes in a retail market is an established name. So is it far fetched, absolutely 100% not. As for a window of opportunity, that hasn't even opened yet - the current publicity and accolades that Pentax is receiving is more than likely opening eyes. Consumer based companies do not buy or acquire other consumer based companies when they are not doing well, they acquire them on the upswing or at flat bottom (where they can then liquidate the assets and close shop), no in betweens...

---
06-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In the long run the OVF is dead. Mechanical shutters and mirror boxes are dead. Why spend millions of dollars to buy old technology?
Completely wrong. Optical viewfinders will never go away. Just like the e-book will never replace real ones.
Note that cameras with optical finders already have the "new technology".
06-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

As for now the consuming of power and producing of heat in camera is still very high to just swapp to electronics on everything and make it still a professional grade camera. But in time.....who knows.
06-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Completely wrong. Optical viewfinders will never go away. Just like the e-book will never replace real ones.
Yeah just like LCD monitors will never replace CRT ones... oh wait.

Oh and btw:
Amazon's ebook sales eclipse paperbacks for the first time

You may want to choose better examples.