Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Busiko

What about a new style for Pentax DSLR

Former 35mm bodies were rectangular in shape, because of landscape format and both spools for film winding on each end. DSLRs have followed that with minor restyling. What do you think of a new DSLR body using the square box from the 645(D) scaled down to fit?

11-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Inactive Account

My K10D is the most comfortable body I have ever used, so a redesign wouldn't be something I'd look for. Others might, but not me.
11-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mmm why not. I can't see doing without the hand grip but let's say that at the other end of the camera it should be feasable to cut everything after the mount.

That being said, people love the huge 3" screens and I don't see where Pentax would put it on the camera
11-17-2007, 03:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Remove the LCd screen and show all info in the viewfinder?

11-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #5

Well pentax made one of the great MF cameras that looked like a huge 35mm SLR... why not make a dSLR that looks like a MF camera. I personally want a larger viewfinder than what's on the APS-C cameras... coming from MF and 35mm, it almost makes me feel claustraphobic looking through those things. Soooo.... maybe they should give us the option of a waistevel like I believe they did on the lx.... somehow I doubt it )
11-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

folks, I'm working on it!

It's what I do, design electronics products. I've been reading and noticing comments here, filing them away, and in spare time in 2008 new camera design(s) is forthcoming. Note: physical and mechanical features, not electronic or firm/software.

But I'll say this, Luigi Colani is one of my hero's.
11-18-2007, 01:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about a sphere shaped camera where the back opens up like a pod to reveal the lcd inside, they could make the camera focal length specific and utilize the pancake designs where the lens mount can rotate around the front 180 degrees....be perfect for panoramas.
11-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bnack Quote
Well pentax made one of the great MF cameras that looked like a huge 35mm SLR... why not make a dSLR that looks like a MF camera. I personally want a larger viewfinder than what's on the APS-C cameras... coming from MF and 35mm, it almost makes me feel claustraphobic looking through those things. Soooo.... maybe they should give us the option of a waistevel like I believe they did on the lx.... somehow I doubt it )
Pentax takes it name from the pentaprism that got rid of the waist level picture taking. don't look for them to take a 50 retro on that issue.

While we are surely going to get an electronic view inside the viewfinder as this seems necessary to implement the sure to come digital zoom feature, I don't see people wanting to part with the 'big screen' on the camera back, although folks might trade it off for an even larger screen that folded. How about a 4 or 5 inch one that mounted on the flash shoe which could be removed or folded down over the back of the camera----or a 'remote' that not only let you fully control the camera but which also had a viewfinder on it.

IT would seem to me that if the functions associated with the rear screen were on the remote along with the rear screen---they wouldn't need to be mounted on the camera body itself.

11-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
folks, I'm working on it!

It's what I do, design electronics products. I've been reading and noticing comments here, filing them away, and in spare time in 2008 new camera design(s) is forthcoming. Note: physical and mechanical features, not electronic or firm/software.

But I'll say this, Luigi Colani is one of my hero's.
Who do you do that for?
11-19-2007, 06:09 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Luigi Colani is my hero too but I think it was unfortunate that Canon should have hired the streamlining meister for it's 'concept' cameras as his legacy has been much abused and diluted until today we have little choice in the DSLR market other than the 'black plastic blob' styling. Luigi's ideas went SO much further than this. Personally, I don't want a streamlined camera that looks like it can do 600mph,...I would prefer one well designed for making images, that is easy to hold in the hand and with decent sized buttons that are quick to access......

......I would also like a square sensor 23mm X 23mm with horizontal/vertical pressure switch under the left thumb for JPEG....RAW files from the whole sensor for later editing....interchangable viewfinders including remote video finder/feed to laptop.....capture to two memory cards or better still, added provision for a USB memory stick device as well as card.

It's ludicrous that with all this technology you have to actually turn the camera on it's side for vert/portrait,.....I did'nt have to do that for 30 years with medium format cameras.
11-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #11
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by Bnack Quote
With 35mmm cameras you could hold it with both hands, if you liked it. With aps-c ones you have a grip on the right but you have to use the tips of your fingers for the left. The body is now unbalanced to my view. With a body format like MF's I believe it will be more pleasant to see, engineers will be able to arrange the internals in a more efficient way and It would stop reminding me of that joke "Do you remember that guy who lost his whole left side in an accident? He's allright now"
11-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Pentax takes it name from the pentaprism that got rid of the waist level picture taking. don't look for them to take a 50 retro on that issue.

While we are surely going to get an electronic view inside the viewfinder as this seems necessary to implement the sure to come digital zoom feature, ....
Isn't it exciting to have the digital zoom in the viewfinder, then select a particular zone on the image, zoom in and tweak the focus??