Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Groupon likes Pentax (or K7, at least)

My daily Groupon email today was for a beginner's photography class from a company called Chimpsy. At the top of the email was a photo of a DSLR, and it was a K7! They 'shopped out the Pentax on the front, but the K7 was left intact. You could also still see part of the brand name on the front of the lens (a 17-70). The photo was pretty obviously just stock, but still, what are the odds? Maybe someone thought that Pentax DSLRs are prettier/more interesting than others. Or maybe it was just random, who knows?

BTW, "Chimpsy" is obviously derived from "chimping", and I'm sure most know what that refers to, but according to this company's website, Chimp is an acronym for CHeck IMage Preview. Makes sense until you realize that the screen actually provides for image Review, not Preview. Just thought that was interesting.

06-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe it's because CHimpsy is about 16 miles away from Pentax Corporate offices :-)

By the way - I wonder if they're trying to coin a new term a la Google

From the Chimpsy site:

chimpsy ( chĭmp • sē ) adj. – a colloquial term used in digital photography to describe the habit of checking every photo on the camera display immediately after capture. Chimp is an acronym for CHeck IMage Preview.

From Wikipedia:
Chimping is a colloquial term used in digital photography (especially when using a digital single-lens reflex camera) to describe the habit of checking every photo on the camera display (LCD) immediately after capture.
Some photographers use the term in a derogatory sense to describe the actions of amateur photographers, but the act of reviewing images on-camera is not necessarily frowned upon by professional or experienced photographers.
06-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote

By the way - I wonder if they're trying to coin a new term a la Google

From the Chimpsy site:

chimpsy ( chĭmp sē ) adj. a colloquial term used in digital photography to describe the habit of checking every photo on the camera display immediately after capture. Chimp is an acronym for CHeck IMage Preview.
Yeah, I thought that was weird, too. I just thought maybe I hadn't heard the word in that form before, but that others say that. I've only ever heard of "chimping."