Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New Pentax Marketing?!

Here is the story folks and I know it's long and filled with how the world looks through my eyes, but it's still news from Pentax.

So I walk into work today at the camera store and settle in for the long haul (8 hours on the sales floor is a little rough you know) and setup my laptop to continue my research and finish my powerpoint presentation on the K10D. UPS arrives at around 12pm noontime and drops off a stack of packages and I'm not too excited because I knew we didn't order anything from Pentax for me to play with. So I continue to work on the powerpoint and deal with some customers when I walk over the the shipping/receiving station to grab some paper and happen to glance at a box. I did a double-take and had to question what I had just read... Pentax Imaging Traffic Dept? "Huh, what could that be," I asked myself.

I finished up with my customers and decided to do shipping and receiving today and of course cut into the Pentax box first. To my amazement we got some marketing from Pentax... marketing from Pentax!? In case you didn't know Pentax doesn't market their product and the little they do is little stands for lenses and such.

I take everything out of the package and first is a holiday bag, big white thick plastic bag with "PENTAX" written in bold red letter across the side of it. Wow, this is definitely new, but then I noticed the box contained more goodies. Inside another box within the main package was a stack of 2008 calendars!?!?!?! WHAT! Pentax calendars to give away for free to costumers?!! These aren't your average calendar, these are those huge desk calendars with big bright colours and great images taken by a Pentax Pro Photographer!?!?!?!

I opened the calendar to find some of the most beautiful landscape images taken of the European landscapes. I was just amazed at the quality that went into this and they are FREE! All made in Japan and the images are taken by one Toshinobu Takeuchi and his work it breathtaking!

So if we are like any other camera store I'd start checking in at the local dealer to see if they had any arrive because it is totally worth having one of these just for the images alone.

Thought I'd share my little tidbit with all of you and hope to start a trek to the nearest camera store for your own copy of this masterful FREE gift from Pentax Marketing!

11-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
re:marketing

Chris, thanks for the info. I'll be sure and check out my local camera store!
11-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Here is the story folks and I know it's long and filled with how the world looks through my eyes, but it's still news from Pentax.

So I walk into work today at the camera store and settle in for the long haul (8 hours on the sales floor is a little rough you know) and setup my laptop to continue my research and finish my powerpoint presentation on the K10D. UPS arrives at around 12pm noontime and drops off a stack of packages and I'm not too excited because I knew we didn't order anything from Pentax for me to play with. So I continue to work on the powerpoint and deal with some customers when I walk over the the shipping/receiving station to grab some paper and happen to glance at a box. I did a double-take and had to question what I had just read... Pentax Imaging Traffic Dept? "Huh, what could that be," I asked myself.

I finished up with my customers and decided to do shipping and receiving today and of course cut into the Pentax box first. To my amazement we got some marketing from Pentax... marketing from Pentax!? In case you didn't know Pentax doesn't market their product and the little they do is little stands for lenses and such.

I take everything out of the package and first is a holiday bag, big white thick plastic bag with "PENTAX" written in bold red letter across the side of it. Wow, this is definitely new, but then I noticed the box contained more goodies. Inside another box within the main package was a stack of 2008 calendars!?!?!?! WHAT! Pentax calendars to give away for free to costumers?!! These aren't your average calendar, these are those huge desk calendars with big bright colours and great images taken by a Pentax Pro Photographer!?!?!?!

I opened the calendar to find some of the most beautiful landscape images taken of the European landscapes. I was just amazed at the quality that went into this and they are FREE! All made in Japan and the images are taken by one Toshinobu Takeuchi and his work it breathtaking!

So if we are like any other camera store I'd start checking in at the local dealer to see if they had any arrive because it is totally worth having one of these just for the images alone.

Thought I'd share my little tidbit with all of you and hope to start a trek to the nearest camera store for your own copy of this masterful FREE gift from Pentax Marketing!
OK, if my local store doesnt' carry it, I'M COMING TO YOUR TOWN!!!

That's very good news, I am pleased that the Pentax USA management changes, coupled with Hoya's good intentions is starting to show.

BTW, there were TWO (yes, the number 2) Pentax ads in the Nov./Dec. issue of American Photo - pages 27 and 29.

Pg 27: The Little Geek who always wins the Technology Fair
Pg. 29: Spotlight on Kerrick James, pro photographer and mentions the PENTAXIAN.com | The Community for PENTAX Users website.

Cheers,
Marc
11-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #4

Pop photo did a review of the 50mm 1.4 this month too. That'll probably get some interest going as well.

11-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Yeah, I have also seen "The little geek who always wins technology fair" ad on magazine, that was very cool! The best magazine ad Pentax ever did, in my opinion! I almost cried when I saw that on air plane. Of course, there are tough competition ahead, but I can definately see good change in Pentax that makes me totally believe that Hoya is backing them up! I am glad to make a decision getting DA*50-135mm that I got last week. The lens is amazing people! I am even thinking taking money off 401K to get DA*16-45 now.

zenzenyoyo
11-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Any chance I can get you to mail me a calendar . No way my shop in town will get one. Great news.
11-14-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Recently I got a Pentax raincoat, a Pentax vest, a Pentax T-shirt and a Pentax cap for free!
After investigating I was told that I am a "multiplier". Hmm ...
Interesting thing was that everything came one by one, a parcel a day.
Very funny. My wife was already kidding me "Again from Pentax?"
11-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I hate you

11-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Recently I got a Pentax raincoat, a Pentax vest, a Pentax T-shirt and a Pentax cap for free!
After investigating I was told that I am a "multiplier". Hmm ...
A multiplier? LOL that's a nice one
11-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Good Lord, with all this new "marketing" business, you'd think Pentax actually wanted people to buy their products! Even people who never owned a Spotmatic! Whatever next...

This is definitely good news. I like my little local camera shop too; last time I went to pick up some chemicals they were put in a big black Pentax bag.
11-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A multiplier? LOL that's a nice one
As long as its not the same meaning as in "go forth and multiply"...
11-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I stopped at a gas station Monday on the way to work, and just as I was getting out of my car, I looked over, and a PT Cruiser pulled beside me, On the side of it was a huge PENTAX in red letters, and a pic of a K100D Super. I did a double take !! It was a vehicle for Creve Coeur camera, a local shop with 6 or 7 branches scattered about the St Louis area, I was beaming with pride when I saw it, and what made me feel even better, is there was not 1 Canon or Nikon on there, lol I just wish I would have had my camera with me so I could post it here for my fellow Pentaxians !! Creve Coeur Camera, Digital Cameras, Binoculars, and more!
11-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I stopped at a gas station Monday on the way to work, and just as I was getting out of my car, I looked over, and a PT Cruiser pulled beside me, On the side of it was a huge PENTAX in red letters, and a pic of a K100D Super. I did a double take !! It was a vehicle for Creve Coeur camera, a local shop with 6 or 7 branches scattered about the St Louis area, I was beaming with pride when I saw it, and what made me feel even better, is there was not 1 Canon or Nikon on there, lol I just wish I would have had my camera with me so I could post it here for my fellow Pentaxians !!
OK, you know this means nothing until you post an image, right....!!???

That sounds very interesting and a sign of things to come (no pun). Perhaps a short reconnaissance mission is in order. C'mon, you need to provide proof!!

Cheers,
Marc
11-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, they are having a big expo saturday, i may go check it out, reps from all the big names will be there, and i am sure that car will be there too, lol, I'll see what i can do !!!
11-15-2007, 01:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
As long as its not the same meaning as in "go forth and multiply"...
"Leave everything and follow me, Steve!"

And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
"Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is the K1, or there; believe it not.
For there shall arise false cameras, and false lenses,
and shall shew great dynamic range and wonders;
insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

And great crowds followed him ... even from beyond the Jordan.

Behold, I have told you before.