Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member
joele's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,309
Love my F*300.... Would hate if they took my * away

12-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Just to show my ignorance, I didn't realise til now there was DA and there was DA*. Bloody Pentax and those * !! I thought they would have learnt from the stupid naming of the D series that *'s just lead to trouble!
Ah but the * in lenses is a quality sign!!!! Except for the limited edition lenses these are the best you can get from Pentax....
The * lens line is quite old.
Just look at Bojidar Dimitrovs site.... and Stans site
12-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Wethphotography's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, D.C., USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
The 50-135 would be just a perfect range to compliment my sigma 17-70mm. I wish I would have the money, but I doubt it. anyone to guess the price of such a lens?

thanks

randy
Given the price of Nikon zooms and the Pentax 12-24, I would guess $15000.00 at BH.
12-19-2006, 03:19 AM   #19
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,041
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Given the price of Nikon zooms and the Pentax 12-24, I would guess $15000.00 at BH.
I would think you are way to high for price even for new ultrasonic lenses. I would say under $1000.00 US

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

12-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Wethphotography's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, D.C., USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I would think you are way to high for price even for new ultrasonic lenses. I would say under $1000.00 US

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
I hope you are right!
12-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #21
Senior Member
KFrog's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Katy, Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 294
Hoya/Pentax

I don't think the news of the Hoya Pentax merger will effect the release schedule of the three new DA* lenses but after that it will be interesting to see what is in store for furture lenses.
12-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 736
QuoteOriginally posted by KFrog Quote
I don't think the news of the Hoya Pentax merger will effect the release schedule of the three new DA* lenses but after that it will be interesting to see what is in store for furture lenses.
I think this mayhelp speed up the process of getting lenses out. Hoya (tokina) has an intrest in getting new lenses out to compeat with sigma and this gives us axcess to 2 groups of lens designers. Pentax will probaly lead the camera lens division and of course the camera devision, Hoya will lead filters and other optics probaly.
12-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
Brendan:
I'd be VERY surprised if the lenses were not completely designed by now. I would imagine the if they are talking about a March release date, that R&D has been finished and pilot plant testing is starting or about to start. It takes a fair length of time to get something new to market. Don't forget, it's not only the optics but the USM, weather seals etc etc. There are ALWAYS bugs that need to be ironed out in the mfg process.

NaCl(bug fixing takes time)H2O

01-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 736
I will say this. I know all the "samples" that have been shown were non-working mock-ups. The design the last time they were shown (Photokina) was not 100% final.
As for the hoya pentax stuff... Pentax just has finished a huge lens plant in vietnam and theyr body facility was enlarged too. Pentax's capacity has been almost tripled from the days they were 100% in Japan
01-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #25
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,414
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Just to show my ignorance, I didn't realise til now there was DA and there was DA*. Bloody Pentax and those * !! I thought they would have learnt from the stupid naming of the D series that *'s just lead to trouble!
Actually Pentax have had lenses with "*" in the name since at least as far back as the eighties, if not the seventies. The first ones were A*, then FA* in the nineties. There are also not the only ones to use such icons to indicate a higher end product. Carl Zeiss has T* lenses.

Also, on the ist cameras it was a *, on the lenses it is a 5 point star.
01-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 230
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
...... anyone to guess the price of such a lens?

thanks

randy
Depending on the disposition and age of your kids I'd guess 2 kids, a dog, and your left leg, but I'm still dreamin that I can come with enough to get me the new 50 - 135, and on a really good day I can very briefly conjure up some sorta fantasy about the 60 - 250.

Maybe we should get a couple pools going and the winner gets the lens in the pool they buy into. Or maybe I should just start figuring out how to play the lottery and buy a ticket. Or just as likely finding a rich uncle, about to die that wants to adopt me, and bestow an inheritance on me equal to the cost of either or both of those 2 that I have my puppy dog eyes on.
02-03-2007, 03:28 AM   #27
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 38
Received an e-mail yesterday from Pentax Scandinavia. They say that they expect to receive details about weight, filter size, price, and other details aroung the begining of April and that the two shorter zooms will be available by the end of April. It sound to me like it is very likely that the 60-250 will not be available sooner than mid-summer or early fall / autum. Pitty...
02-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #28
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Just to show my ignorance, I didn't realise til now there was DA and there was DA*. Bloody Pentax and those * !! I thought they would have learnt from the stupid naming of the D series that *'s just lead to trouble!
Pentax have used the * (star) designation for many years as their top end professional quality lenses. Traditionally they have been among the best lenses of their type made by any maker. There has been a range of A* (manual focus), F* and FA* (auto focus) lenses. All are exceptional.

They were originally introduced as complementary to the professional grade LX film SLR back in 1980. You can investigate everything about Pentax K mount lenses and bodies in Bojidar Dimitrov's website Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page

I've been very reliably informed that the new DA * (star) series lenses will be up to the same high (and expected!) standard.
02-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 593
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Pentax have used the * (star) designation for many years as their top end professional quality lenses. Traditionally they have been among the best lenses of their type made by any maker. There has been a range of A* (manual focus), F* and FA* (auto focus) lenses. All are exceptional.

They were originally introduced as complementary to the professional grade LX film SLR back in 1980. You can investigate everything about Pentax K mount lenses and bodies in Bojidar Dimitrov's website Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page

I've been very reliably informed that the new DA * (star) series lenses will be up to the same high (and expected!) standard.
If your "reliable source" is correct and they are up to the standards of the FA*28-70 and FA*80-200 I will be over the moon, Richard. You will not be able to wipe the smile from my face, nor the faces of all the Pentax DSLR users.
02-11-2007, 03:44 AM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
If your "reliable source" is correct and they are up to the standards of the FA*28-70 and FA*80-200 I will be over the moon, Richard. You will not be able to wipe the smile from my face, nor the faces of all the Pentax DSLR users.
My "reliable source" is almost bound to say that, aren't they? Especially as you know who they are!

Last edited by Richard Day; 02-11-2007 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Punctuaion ommission
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*, f2.8, lenses, pentax, pentax da*, pentax news, pentax rumors, release date
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax 18-135mm - Release Date? conradcjc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 11-10-2010 03:16 PM
Release date for DAL 35mm? Steve Beswick Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 10-13-2010 06:08 AM
Release date of the Pentax K-5! johnmflores Pentax News and Rumors 25 10-10-2010 01:47 AM
K-x US release date? caseygtc Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 10-13-2009 03:22 PM
Release date ACImages Pentax News and Rumors 12 12-28-2007 08:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top