Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Release Date for new Pentax DA* lenses

According to Shutterbug mag. the new DA*lenses are to be released to market in March of 07 These new lenses will be ultrasonic, and will only be able to be used on the new K10D, and future cameras. They will be the new DA*16-50mm f2.8, DA50-135mm f2.8, and the DA* 60-250mm f/4All they will be available in ED (extra low Dispersion) AL (Aspherical) And IF (internal focus).

Sounds like one hell of a year for Pentax.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 12-17-2006 at 07:33 PM.
12-16-2006, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That would be so exciting for sure. I am looking forward to the lenses - 50-135/2.8 and 60-250/4

I want them so bad!
12-16-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Now the question is how much the 50-135/2.8 will cost me..
12-16-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You can best bet the new ultrasonic lenses will be quite salty no matter which lens you want. I would guess we won't find out prices until closer to release.

Good Shooting.

12-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think they will be pretty pricey and hard to get for some time after their release. Kind of like the Nikon VR lenses.
12-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Forum Member

Ok I'm new to slr and I just got a K100d. Why won't the new lenses work on anything other that the K10d?
12-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
According to Shutterbug mag. the new DA*lenses are to be released to market in March of 07 These new lenses will be ultrasonic, and will only be able to be used on the new K10D
Emphasis is mine ... I think this is wrong ... it has been reported that a Pentax person has said that they will have both the USM and the inbody focusing systems in current AF cameras.
To bring out new lenses that wont function on older cameras has not been Pentax's way (well at least not in the past).

QuoteOriginally posted by hmcfly Quote
Ok I'm new to slr and I just got a K100d. Why won't the new lenses work on anything other that the K10d?
Well if the statment is true they use motors in the lens which are driven by contacts on the body ... these contacts are not there on cameras prior to the K10D. The older cameras use "direct drive" focusing where the motor is in the camera body and a small rod engages with the lens and physically turns the focusing mechanism.
12-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyCG Quote
Emphasis is mine ... I think this is wrong ... it has been reported that a Pentax person has said that they will have both the USM and the inbody focusing systems in current AF cameras.
To bring out new lenses that wont function on older cameras has not been Pentax's way (well at least not in the past).

Well if the statment is true they use motors in the lens which are driven by contacts on the body ... these contacts are not there on cameras prior to the K10D. The older cameras use "direct drive" focusing where the motor is in the camera body and a small rod engages with the lens and physically turns the focusing mechanism.
Did You read the whole post?
There will be three types of new lenses and only the ultrasonic lenses (DA*) will work only with the K10D due to the contacts in camera for these lenses and the contacts on the lenses them selves which will drive the ultrasonic motors for the lenses AF system. Plus Pentax has made lenses that do not work with older cameras, but older lenses will work with any Pentax camera.

12-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'll be aggrieved if I can't use them on my DS. I was waiting for the 60-250.
12-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think I will try and give Pentax USA customer service a call tomorrow, and find out for sure firsthand. It does seem strange, but like I said before These lenses were originally to be for the K10D even back in April when the first news came out about new lenses and cameras. nothing was said at that time that would have given a definite as to what cameras they would be used on and If I'm not mistaken Pentax is manufacturing the lenses in DA and DA* So Who knows right now. Again I guess I started Speculation talks, So I will call tomorrow and see if I can get the information straight from customer service.

Good Shooting.
12-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would think they would 'work' on the D,DS,DL,K100d just that they will be manual focus only?
12-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
clm

Shutterbug must have gotten it wrong, then. From Pentax in Japan: "[ Overview of Upcoming Products ]

• Three interchangeable lenses designed for exclusive use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras

♦ [ Product type ] Wide-angle zoom lens

Model name ( tentative ) : smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8ED AL[IF]

Marketing schedule : To be marketed in March 2007

♦ [ Product type ] Telephoto zoom lens

Model name ( tentative ) : smc PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm F2.8ED [IF]

Marketing schedule : To be marketed in March 2007

♦ [ Product type ] Super-telephoto zoom lens

Model name ( tentative ) : smc PENTAX-DA* 60-250mm F4ED [IF]

Marketing schedule : To be marketed in 2007

Other product information :

* These products are designed for exclusive use with PENTAX K- and *istD-series digital SLR cameras. They are being developed as the top-of-the-line star ( * ) lens to deliver exceptional performance and optimal image quality.
* These products will feature the PENTAX KAF2 mount, which incorporates additional electrical contacts to drive a built-in supersonic motor used in autofocusing operation."

Quote is from here:PENTAX NEWS release 2006 : PENTAX to Exhibit Upcoming Digital SLR Camera Products at Photokina 2006 in Germany
12-17-2006, 09:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter

According to Shutterbug mag. the new DA*lenses are to be released to market in March of 07 These new lenses will be ultrasonic, and will only be able to be used on the new K10D, and future cameras. They will be the new DA*16-50mm f2.8, DA50-135mm f2.8, and the DA* 60-250mm f/4All they will be available in ED (extra low Dispersion) AL (Aspherical) And IF (internal focus).

Sounds like one hell of a year for Pentax.

Good Shooting.
The 50-135 would be just a perfect range to compliment my sigma 17-70mm. I wish I would have the money, but I doubt it. anyone to guess the price of such a lens?

thanks

randy
12-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #14
Forum Member

Did You read the whole post?
There will be three types of new lenses and only the ultrasonic lenses (DA*) will work only with the K10D due to the contacts in camera for these lenses and the contacts on the lenses them selves which will drive the ultrasonic motors for the lenses AF system. Plus Pentax has made lenses that do not work with older cameras, but older lenses will work with any Pentax camera.
Yep I read your whole post and understood what you were saying ... My belief was that the statement that the new DA * lenses would not work on cameras prior to the K10D was incorrect ... You might want to check your own facts before accusing someone else of not bothering to read what you said.

Thanks dm for finding the full Pentax release notes that I couldn't find to back up my original statement.
12-18-2006, 01:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Just to show my ignorance, I didn't realise til now there was DA and there was DA*. Bloody Pentax and those * !! I thought they would have learnt from the stupid naming of the D series that *'s just lead to trouble!