Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q small-sensor mirrorless camera announced and previewed

Pentax Q small-sensor mirrorless camera announced and previewed: Digital Photography Review

06-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting form factor, though I suspect a lot of people will hate it and deplore the "waste" of Pentax resources on this rather than full frame.

I guess only time will tell how successful this will be.
06-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Interesting form factor, though I suspect a lot of people will hate it and deplore the "waste" of Pentax resources on this rather than full frame.
Count me in
06-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh well. New mount type, smaller sensor, and silly features like "bokeh control filter" and funny colour settings.

Guess I am not the target audience for this product.

I don't care very much. I just want to be able to afford a k5.

06-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #5

If this is all pentax have for mirrorless market – they lost this battle without battle. With this sensor, not DOF control in available, diffractions will be much bigger then on asp-c and m4\3. I mean what is a purpose of interchangeable lenses if the quality will be killed by small sensor? I’d rather buy compact ultra zoom.
06-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I think you guys are missing the point. This camera is not targeted as a competitor for MFT/NEX/NX. This is an advanced compact camera with interchangeable lenses, not an SLR without the mirror. There's nothing like this on the market! Along with the toy lenses, this is most likely a camera aimed to be a digital LOMO rather than a camera for serious photographers. I could have a lot of fun with this next to my K-7.

The most important bit is: the price! This camera should cost less than an MFT/NEX/NX camera. I'm very afraid though, that Pentax will make this too expensive to be a fun camera.
06-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah. I will bring a "fun" camera on my travels. I will bring a WG-1: Lots of fun, and it goes where my dSLR won't.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10485935/2009_04_01_IMGP0027.JPG

I don't know: Maybe if I was less of an outdoor person, more of a city person, cared more about appearance and wanted something to fit in my handbag. I don't even have a handbag.

I'm just not the audience. I care for two things in cameras: Image quality and ruggedness. Pentax has a camera for each of these needs: k5 for IQ, WG1 for fun. I guess they did not need to make another one for me...

06-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

$800
06-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Count me in

me too!
06-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #10
Forum Member

Not really for me, maybe if it were cheaper it'd be a nice alternative to a GRDIII or LX5... My girlfriend would probably love those toy camera lenses though. But then, she's already got the SLR Magic Toy lens (52mm equivalent, f/1.4) for m43rds.

I get what Pentax was trying to do, and the fact that they announced two 'Toy Lenses' means this definitely isn't the Pentax mirrorless we've all been waiting for. Although I do kind of like the Q, and unlike most people, the small sensor doesn't bother me at all - Two things bother me though - first is the price, and the second are the lenses.

I think they could've pushed the design on the lenses more - after all, that is one of the rare advantages of a smaller sensor. Why not a small f/1.4 prime for example? That at least would've meant something that no compact currently has.

And the zoom is just boring, and way too big for a 28-83 equivalent. Something like a smallish 28-300 equivalent would have been more interesting, or maybe a 24mm-xxx equivalent long zoom.

I'm pretty sure there would be another 'more serious' mirrorless coming out in the near future - but this leads me to believe that Pentax would probably be using the same Sony made sensor that Nikon will be using for their rumored 2.6x crop mirrorless as well. Which means, if they announce the same time as Nikon launches theirs, the Pentax won't get as much attention since most press will be all over the Nikon. Unless the other Pentax mirrorless really has something different going for it.
06-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
Forum Member

If I have read and understood this correctly, the standout feature is a sensor using backside illumination. Sony have been doing a lot of work on this kind of sensor. If that is the case, it can make use of incident light (in the same way that film does) rather, than only light that is arriving perpendicular to the sensor. This would account for its alleged superior performance under low light.
06-23-2011, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I have no doubt that this will take the market by storm.

Just like the Ricoh GXR and Sigma DP1 have taken the market by storm.

I see no point. For anyone.
06-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter

The worlds first interchangeable lens system with a price tag actually larger than its sensor.
06-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a NEX because of the articulating LCD, which for me is very important for street shooting among other applications. Without an articulating LCD, the new ML Pentax will be of no interest to me. I have enough cameras like that. That is also the only reason why I passed on the X-100.

The other concern is lenses. You can pretty much mount anything on a NEX. Doesn't seem to be the case with ML Pentax. Moreover Zeiss announced an AF 24mm f2.0 pancake for the NEX!
06-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The worlds first interchangeable lens system with a price tag actually larger than its sensor.
so, seems as expensive as M9 per milli square meters sensor area.