Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Why?

Anyone can take a technically excellent photo with AF and today's precision sensors.

A creative photo is another story.

What may be excellent technical IQ to one is simply not creative to others who want it all messed up....like their hair.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
This is exactly correct.

And I might add Pentax makes two very good cameras for the I need everything automatic crowd. Just don't buy this one if you don't want it. Or you can buy a Canon or Nikon. I wanted an X100 and didn't whine about Pentax not making one. I just bought the Fuji. Ditto on M4/2, I got an Olympus.

I really like the toy lens idea so I'm probably going to be very tempted by this.
So the target market for this system is the creative photographer?

06-23-2011, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
You really want Pentax to die. Think before you post such stuff.
If Pentax's viability and sustain ability has been linked to this camera & system, they are screwed.
06-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If Pentax's viability and sustain ability has been linked to this camera & system, they are screwed.
06-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Seriously, I think there may be a fairly good market for this, but I'm sure they're smart enough not to bet the farm on any one product.

06-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a market for this camera...lets see the initial reviews....
06-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
Banned

Is Pentax dropping the 645D, K-5 etc ? Pentax needs to think outside the box and not clone another company's camera. This camera will get shelf space at BestBuy faster than any other Pentax camera because Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus etc don't have one. I think most people here are clueless about the consumer camera market.
06-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So the target market for this system is the creative photographer?
Or how about this— "the target market for this system is for making photographers creative" (think the new electronic "bokeh control")?

Definitely aimed at the consumer market.

06-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
Banned

If consumers would buy the Smart car then they would also buy the Q.

06-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Is Pentax dropping the 645D, K-5 etc ? Pentax needs to think outside the box and not clone another company's camera. This camera will get shelf space at BestBuy faster than any other Pentax camera because Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus etc don't have one. I think most people here are clueless about the consumer camera market.
That wasn't really the jist of my quip. I don't think it will be something that will eclipse their dSLR system. This system could catch on and be a phenomenon or the next "fad." No way to know that for sure. However, don't underestimate the Hoya marketing of Pentax to drop a pallet of these things on their big toe.
06-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #25
Site Supporter

If consumers would buy the Smart car then they would also buy the Q.
Those things haven't sold all that well any many areas and have serious limitations. In some areas here we call them Box Kites . . . put a string on them and fly them at the beach.
06-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #26

With a sensor that small, they should make a super duper big aperture lens, something bigger than the noctilux, at a fraction of the price.
06-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #27
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think most people here are clueless about the consumer camera market.
I may be clueless but I'm pretty sure the consumer camera market doesn't drop $800 bucks on cameras very often...
06-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #28
MSM
Veteran Member

I will say I am with the wait and see crowd. I haven't been with Pentax as long as others here. But, I do remember the days before all the colored models of the Km were released in addition to the various limited K20, K7 and now K5 models. You would of thought this forum was going to implode at the thought of the 100 choices of the Kx. That decision, though severely ridiculed here and else where, may have been just what saved Pentax to continue to fight on. Just sayin...
06-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #29
MSM
Veteran Member

As this is a thread on the lenses for the Q, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the great news. A Pentax digital first, the shutter mechanism allows for 1/250 s sync speed!

Also, did anyone see the zoom spec. also includes a built in ND filter? Built in lens 'quiet' AF motors?
06-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's worth reserving judgement.
So easy to dismiss it as an overpriced toy with an underclassed lens system from the size, but we really need to see it in action.

Of course, RRP is not going to be what most people buy this setup at, but being quite novel, it will attract some attention, and Pentax *should* make some decent returns out of the investment they put into the technology before reducing its price.