Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What most people want is a Fuji X100 with interchangeable lenses. That piece of market is still up for grabs.

07-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
What most people want is a Fuji X100 with interchangeable lenses. That piece of market is still up for grabs.

Not sure about most people per se, but yes this would be a hot item (though it loses it's optimized sensor advantage and becomes susceptible to dust as well) Adding and interchangeable mount may well make the x100 larger as well, I believe the current lens is partially within the body of the camera
I really like the X100, though the lack of price competition due to the stock scarcity stops me at the moment (that and my wife saying don't you already have 15 cameras )
07-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Fuji keeps losing over $400 million a year and Fuji will be up for grabs. Maybe Ricoh will by the X100 and give it to Pentax for Christmas.
07-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Fuji keeps losing over $400 million a year and Fuji will be up for grabs. Maybe Ricoh will by the X100 and give it to Pentax for Christmas.
I'm not sure where you get this number i just looked at the 3rd quarter 2010 balance sheet and they have had dramatic improvements over 2009 and project an overall year end net profit of 16 billion yen
Fuji is a widely diversified company. The camera division has not done overly well but they have stated a renewed focus including the possibility of a return to ILC camera production (I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them return to the Medium format market with a unique digital offering - they've made some very fine and very unique Medium format cameras over the years. Given the huge response to the X100 I could see them developing a basic RF type lineup based on that as well (they certainly have the resources to do so) the reason I think the camera division declined in profits was the focus on mass market point shoot at low prices (and the accompanying razor thin margins) not really a market you want to be in now with the strides made in cell phone cameras which for many people are "good enough" already (i'm always astounded at how few people in the scheme of things actually print their images. if Web use is all you need then cell phones are now pretty much good enough
(personally i'm hoping - read fantasizing- Fuji will partner with Cosina on an RF taking advantage of the X100 finder tech. )

07-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'm not sure where you get this number i just looked at the 3rd quarter 2010 balance sheet and they have had dramatic improvements over 2009 and project an overall year end net profit of 16 billion yen
Fuji is a widely diversified company. The camera division has not done overly well but they have stated a renewed focus including the possibility of a return to ILC camera production (I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them return to the Medium format market with a unique digital offering - they've made some very fine and very unique Medium format cameras over the years. Given the huge response to the X100 I could see them developing a basic RF type lineup based on that as well (they certainly have the resources to do so) the reason I think the camera division declined in profits was the focus on mass market point shoot at low prices (and the accompanying razor thin margins) not really a market you want to be in now with the strides made in cell phone cameras which for many people are "good enough" already (i'm always astounded at how few people in the scheme of things actually print their images. if Web use is all you need then cell phones are now pretty much good enough
(personally i'm hoping - read fantasizing- Fuji will partner with Cosina on an RF taking advantage of the X100 finder tech. )
Global 500 for 2010

QuoteQuote:
359 Fujifilm Holdings 23,497 (revenue in millions) -414 (profit in millions)
Global 500 2010: Global 500 301-400 - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Edit: http://pmanewsline.com/2010/07/30/fujifilm-returns-to-profits-in-first-quarter/

http://www.tradesignalonline.com/en/charts/news.aspx?id=789940&filter=&catid=0

http://pmanewsline.com/2011/01/31/fujifilm-returns-to-profit-in-third-quarter/

Restructuring has helped profits to some degree.

http://pmanewsline.com/2010/07/30/fujifilm-returns-to-profits-in-first-quarter/

Last edited by Blue; 07-05-2011 at 07:03 AM.
07-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

if you look at the last one which is the most current # by far (april this year) you will see they returned to an operating profit. the prior year took a big restructuring hit, so a loss is not unusual in that situation

"Having launched a broad overhaul of its operations to offset a slump in business during the global economic slowdown that hit electronics companies in 2008 and 2009, Fujifilm reported a net profit of Y5.45 billion for the quarter ended March, compared with a net loss of Y31.5 billion a year earlier.

Revenue fell 3.3% to Y565.4 billion from Y584.6 billion. But Fujifilm recorded an operating profit of Y13.9 billion versus an operating loss of Y39.7 billion a year earlier.

The company booked restructuring costs of Y19.9 billion in the quarter ended March, compared with Y77.7 billion a year earlier. "