Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q price rumor - $699

I have heard that before it comes out in the US, the price of the Pentax Q may well fall by up to $100!

At the current $799 it's a bit expensive, but if the price would come closer to that of the competition, do you think Pentax would be in business with this whole idea?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Interesting. It would have to provide some quality and control improvement over a P&S and would def have to be cheaper.

Then again something like this could easily become "popular" with the masses especially if pentax sells it in a ton of colours
06-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
t in the US, the price of the Pentax Q may well fall by up to $100!
Even at $699 I think people would still be hesitant to buy one. In my honest opinion, the price drop would have to be around $150 to $200 before it can really contend. The size and form factor makes it appealing. However the price is what is off putting. But it a move in the right direction.
06-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There you go.
Top end P&S with interchangeable lens, video & magnesium body.
Price will soon be competitive and start to raise eyebrows for what the system is...

06-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I suspect that to entice the mass market retail consumer it will need to drop by a lot more than that. The average consumer takes pictures with their cell phone and posts them in all their glory on FB or another web site. The don't know quality from a hole in the ground.

A P&S fits in a shirt or pants pocket or totes easy in your purse for less than $200 with a 10X combined zoom, no need to buy or changes lenses.

I hate to be be a pessimist for a brand I love but they are ...... into a headwind with this one.

06-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I hate to be be a pessimist for a brand I love but they are ...... into a headwind with this one.
I think a lot of people felt that way when Pentax started releasing colorful DSLRS... look where it's gone—it's probably kept Pentax going.
06-24-2011, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not think this will be a success in the USA. I do think it will do well in other markets.

We Americans need to remember that Pentax is a global company and designs for the markets it thinks it will do best in. I can imagine this selling well in Japan, especially if offered in colors. And if it gets legs as the stylish new thing to have it might really take off. Also, think about China which is a huge market with a growing middle class that can afford this.

This is a point & shoot built to extremely high standards. And in America, sadly, we seem to only want cheap. If this gets to retailer shelves it will be in the case with a dozen P&S cameras at half the cost. Few will care about changeable lens or build quality. They will see $699 or whatever, and take the $299 P&S which is "just as good" or the much "bigger" DSLR which gives "more" camera for the same price.

06-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow, nice - I was planning for the $800 purchase, now even better

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
his is a point & shoot built to extremely high standards. And in America, sadly, we seem to only want cheap.
I have no problems paying premiums for a quality piece...

---
06-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Wow, nice - I was planning for the $800 purchase, now even better

I have no problems paying premiums for a quality piece...

---
If the quality is good, I will be doomed. Can I strap this to my 2000mm reflex to take a picture of mars though...
06-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I acquired a Panasonic LX3 a couple of years ago for traveling when it was just not practical to take along my K20. The new Pentax Q and the LX3 appear to be reasonably close in physical dimensions, with the Q being a bit smaller. The other central point is that both the Q and the LX3 have the same sized sensor. The price I paid for the LX3 was $400.

I see a market position for the Q - high end, small physical size, and [hopefully] with a high image quality. The LX3 has a Leica f2 lens 2.5x, and if you keep the ISO below 800 you will do ok. Better IQ is achieved at ISO 80 and 100.

You see a lot of folks looking for P&S with very large zoom lens ranges - the super zooms and the bridge cameras. The Q's interchangeable lenses will cover that need to the extent of the available lenses.

The cost of the body and a kit lens of $800 is a bit rich. Even with a reduced price of $700 it is still pricy. The LX3 was somewhat of a specialized camera - wide angle low light, and had sold out of stock several times over the last couple of years, thus pushing the units price to a rather high premium. So the demand can be there, if the buying public perceives the quality and convince. Now the economy has turned for the worse, but I think that the market is still there - probably to a smaller degree, however more in the $500 to $600 range, I would think.

I really do not think that it helps with the perception of Pentax to have the "toy" label attached to the lenses. That is just plain self defeating....

If you are going to look at the Q, then you are probably looking at the Olympus EP1 and EP2, along with Sony NEX. When all is said and done, I do not see the smaller sensor Q being able to maintain an equivalent prices with the u43 cameras, especially when you factor in the lenses.....

06-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I acquired a Panasonic LX3 a couple of years ago for traveling when it was just not practical to take along my K20. The new Pentax Q and the LX3 appear to be reasonably close in physical dimensions, with the Q being a bit smaller. The other central point is that both the Q and the LX3 have the same sized sensor. The price I paid for the LX3 was $400.

I see a market position for the Q - high end, small physical size, and [hopefully] with a high image quality. The LX3 has a Leica f2 lens 2.5x, and if you keep the ISO below 800 you will do ok. Better IQ is achieved at ISO 80 and 100.

You see a lot of folks looking for P&S with very large zoom lens ranges - the super zooms and the bridge cameras. The Q's interchangeable lenses will cover that need to the extent of the available lenses.

The cost of the body and a kit lens of $800 is a bit rich. Even with a reduced price of $700 it is still pricy. The LX3 was somewhat of a specialized camera - wide angle low light, and had sold out of stock several times over the last couple of years, thus pushing the units price to a rather high premium. So the demand can be there, if the buying public perceives the quality and convince. Now the economy has turned for the worse, but I think that the market is still there - probably to a smaller degree, however more in the $500 to $600 range, I would think.

I really do not think that it helps with the perception of Pentax to have the "toy" label attached to the lenses. That is just plain self defeating....

If you are going to look at the Q, then you are probably looking at the Olympus EP1 and EP2, along with Sony NEX. When all is said and done, I do not see the smaller sensor Q being able to maintain an equivalent prices with the u43 cameras, especially when you factor in the lenses.....

Good points.

I almost bought an LX3, but its low-light options were not there for me, spoiled as I was was by my Fuji.

The LX5, however, was excellent.

The current trend in higher-end compacts is wide angle lenses (eq. 24mm @ 135) with higher ISO's for indoor, up close photos.

I peg the MSRP of the Q should be $649 with street up to $120 below that.

The hot trend in youth camera use is for playful, fun, social photography, not serious photography all technical-like. The toy lenses play to a younger crowd.

Price is really the issue it is to compete with the LX5 crowd. What is the premium for interchangeable lenses going to be worth.

Ever watch Steve Jobs announce a price much lower than analysts expected, and then Apple struggle to produce enough stock? That's how you make a hit an re-establish a brand.
06-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
Forum Member

for 800$ i can have a DSLR. anyway it looks interesting as a fun camera. if the price will get around 300-400EUR i might be interested in buying PSILC (Point&Shoot interchangeble lens camera
06-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At PMA, I was told the Q will be available for sale sometime in July for A$799.

This is a good price, since according to Panasonic the GF3 (closest competitor to the Q) will probably be A$799 body only and A$999 with a twin lens kit.

I think based on these prices, the Q may be better value than the GF3, and street prices may well be $100 lower.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 06-25-2011 at 12:38 AM.
06-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
nice advanced new camera

why is it priced above $10

????
06-25-2011, 04:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pre order is up for those not on the mailing list

PentaxWebstore Q Kit Black