Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PMA 2011 Sydney (includes photos of the Pentax Q)

Look, but no touch - apparently they are not allowed to let people touch the camera and take photos (it's a beta version of the firmware), but the Q will be available in Australia "sometime in July" retailing for A$799 with the prime lens (which is a very good price compared to GF3 - A$799 body only, Canon S95 A$599):

This is the size of the camera compared to my hand (by the way, that's the zoom lens on the camera, not the prime, which is considerably smaller):

I am not sure I like the white - it's slightly creamy in colour and looks a bit cheap (the black looks better but boring - how I wish they had made it in silver):

The pink K-r on the other hand definitely looks cheap and tacky - I'm glad I didn't buy it, it looks like an oversized cheap toy:

The new Panasonic GF3 in my hand - not much bigger than the Q - I would consider the GF3 to be the closes competitor to the Q:

The G3 is significantly bulkier than the Q or the GF3 - not in the same league. It's definitely way too big for my needs - it looks like a slightly cut down SLR and definitely not pocketable (or handbaggable):

On the plus side the G3 has a reasonable number of SLR-like controls at the back:

The Sandisk Extreme Pro booth babes (they were impressed I was actually using an Extreme Pro card in my K-5):

Canon high end telephotos:

Finally, a photo of me at PMA:

06-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oops, forgot to include two nice Jill-E bags:

06-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw today as well at the expo...its very very small ! I think I would find it too small for my use.
06-25-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
juu
Veteran Member

The Q looks better in your shots than in official Pentax marketing pictures.

06-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
The Q looks better in your shots than in official Pentax marketing pictures.
Yes, it does. nice shots Christine.

The Q's werent mock up (so CRK said) and were working "beta" models. I figured they wouldnt let anyone stick a memory card in one but, I was hoping to at least hold one to see it was built nicely (like a Fuji X100). I was told that they were under strict instructions to keep them locked up. I thought that might be because I looked a bit dodgy.
I think July might be a bit optimsitic.

I wasnt expecting much from CRK but was a still a bit disappointed.
Played with a K-5 +17-70 (felt heavy) & 645D (felt realllllly heavy) but there was no 50-135 no 15,35,40 or 70 (but 3 silver FA & a 21) and no 18-135. The prices they were quoting were all RRP.
If wanted to test lenses for potential purchase I'd have been better off going to DCW.

I was going to whip out my Extreme Pro (SD card) for the Sandisk girls but I've only got a small 8Gig one, so they'd probably just point and laugh.

I think the guys with the Cannons were checking out the lower portion of those 2 Sandisk promo girls.

Worth going to, but I spent more time looking at the photo awards and print displays.
06-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hold on!

The K-r is the same colour as the Jill-E bags :-)

Pantone has been busy at one end of the spectrum.

The Canon S95 street price is ~US$360 now, so A$350. Almost 40% off list.

The Q kit could be sub-$500 by Christmas.

We all need to hope the Yen starts tanking.
06-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Hold on!

The K-r is the same colour as the Jill-E bags :-)

Pantone has been busy at one end of the spectrum.

The Canon S95 street price is ~US$360 now, so A$350. Almost 40% off list.

The Q kit could be sub-$500 by Christmas.

We all need to hope the Yen starts tanking.
Australia still has inflated prices in stores:

Even though the Q "defies" comparison here a some local comparisons which I looked at at PMA today.

Canon S95 is about A$510
Panasonic LX5 (24-90zoom) about A$620
Panasonic GF2 +1lens about A$820
no prices on the GF3 yet
Sony NEX5 +18-55 about A$850

but...Fuji X100 about A$1200 same as the U.S.

06-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Look, but no touch - apparently they are not allowed to let people touch the camera and take photos (it's a beta version of the firmware), but the Q will be available in Australia "sometime in July" retailing for A$799 with the prime lens (which is a very good price compared to GF3 - A$799 body only, Canon S95 A$599):
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
The Q's werent mock up (so CRK said) and were working "beta" models. I figured they wouldnt let anyone stick a memory card in one but, I was hoping to at least hold one to see it was built nicely (like a Fuji X100). I was told that they were under strict instructions to keep them locked up. I thought that might be because I looked a bit dodgy.
I think July might be a bit optimsitic.
Same thing happened to me and "kyteflyer", as mentioned in the PMA thread: we could look at them, but they weren't moving out of their display case. I guess we all look dodgy
I was also told a July release, but the Q isn't something that interests me.

Even though the Q "defies" comparison here a some local comparisons which I looked at at PMA today.
Were they the "RRP"s that you were looking at? Street price tends to be a bit lower then the RRP/MSRP. I mean, the 645D had RRP as A$13000, but you can buy them for around A$11000 in stores.
06-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote

Were they the "RRP"s that you were looking at? Street price tends to be a bit lower then the RRP/MSRP. I mean, the 645D had RRP as A$13000, but you can buy them for around A$11000 in stores.
The pricing sheets on the CRK stand were all RRP. ie much more than store price like you said, so I didnt take much notice of them.

For Sydney stores, I Look at DCW or digidirect or dirtcheap or camera-warehouse or vanbar for online prices.
The compact camera prices S95, LX5 etc I listed came from those.

The US stores list these cameras much lower so the Q at $700US seems way overpriced in comparison. A$700 in store here is kind of in the middle above the S95 and LX5 non interchangeble lend and the 4/3's camera.

Comparison, in price only I am talking about. Yes, the sensor is tiny but if it were bigger then it would be NEX or GF2 sized and more expensive.

The Pentax Q doesn't have any directly comparable competitors but probably doesnt have a direct market either. If the sensor really IS very good in the Q (ie better than the other Sony compacts) then maybe.
06-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Same thing happened to me and "kyteflyer", as mentioned in the PMA thread: we could look at them, but they weren't moving out of their display case. I guess we all look dodgy
No, they were really under strict orders, I'm sure you guys looked well ... like photographers.

I know both Anthony and Corey at the stand, and they have no problems letting me borrow expensive lenses for a test in the past, and they said they would have been shot just for unlocking the display cabinet.

I even pleaded with Robert Kennedy to allow me to just hold it in my hand (and hold my Hello Kitty K-5 as ransom) but he wouldn't do it.
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no prices on the GF3 yet
I think you need to speak to Aki at the Panasonic stand - she has firm pricing on the GF3 (I think she is higher up on the totem pole than the other gophers manning the stands) - she gave me firm prices on the GF3 ($999 with the twin lens kit) - because I told her I was very keen to buy one.

She also let me play with her GF3 and the two Leica lenses, which wasn't locked and tethered to a pole. AND she let me put my SD card into her GF3.
06-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Banned

Great work Christine! A picture of a yellow K-r?
06-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Great work Christine! A picture of a yellow K-r?
Sorry, no yellow in Australia - only black, white, red and pink.
06-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
she gave me firm prices on the GF3 ($999 with the twin lens kit) - because I told her I was very keen to buy one.
Whether you're really keen to buy one, or it was just a ploy to get to play with the GF3, I'd hold off till at least Thursday; the Olympus rep mentioned that they'll have an announcement regarding their next M4/3 cameras, and from what he said, there'll be lens announcements as well as the camera announcements.
06-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whether you're really keen to buy one, or it was just a ploy to get to play with the GF3, I'd hold off till at least Thursday; the Olympus rep mentioned that they'll have an announcement regarding their next M4/3 cameras, and from what he said, there'll be lens announcements as well as the camera announcements.
Yeah, I got the same info from the Olympus rep.

It's kind of embarassing actually - the rep was extolling the features of the current generation to a random newbie, and I walked up to him and said "Look, I know I shouldn't be asking this, but when are the new models going to be announced???"

He stammered, uhmed and ahhed a fair bit before whispering "Thursday."

Upon which the newbie said "Why didn't you tell me new models are going to come out???"

Oops.

I said to him "You should really have the new models on display." The poor rep agreed with me and said "I know. We tried, but Japan wouldn't let us."