Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
PMA 2011 Sydney (includes photos of the Pentax Q)

Look, but no touch - apparently they are not allowed to let people touch the camera and take photos (it's a beta version of the firmware), but the Q will be available in Australia "sometime in July" retailing for A$799 with the prime lens (which is a very good price compared to GF3 - A$799 body only, Canon S95 A$599):


This is the size of the camera compared to my hand (by the way, that's the zoom lens on the camera, not the prime, which is considerably smaller):


I am not sure I like the white - it's slightly creamy in colour and looks a bit cheap (the black looks better but boring - how I wish they had made it in silver):


The pink K-r on the other hand definitely looks cheap and tacky - I'm glad I didn't buy it, it looks like an oversized cheap toy:




The new Panasonic GF3 in my hand - not much bigger than the Q - I would consider the GF3 to be the closes competitor to the Q:


The G3 is significantly bulkier than the Q or the GF3 - not in the same league. It's definitely way too big for my needs - it looks like a slightly cut down SLR and definitely not pocketable (or handbaggable):


On the plus side the G3 has a reasonable number of SLR-like controls at the back:


The Sandisk Extreme Pro booth babes (they were impressed I was actually using an Extreme Pro card in my K-5):


Canon high end telephotos:




Finally, a photo of me at PMA:


06-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
Oops, forgot to include two nice Jill-E bags:


06-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 73
I saw today as well at the expo...its very very small ! I think I would find it too small for my use.
06-25-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
juu
Veteran Member
juu's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 680
The Q looks better in your shots than in official Pentax marketing pictures.

06-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member
steve1307's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,128
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
The Q looks better in your shots than in official Pentax marketing pictures.
Yes, it does. nice shots Christine.

The Q's werent mock up (so CRK said) and were working "beta" models. I figured they wouldnt let anyone stick a memory card in one but, I was hoping to at least hold one to see it was built nicely (like a Fuji X100). I was told that they were under strict instructions to keep them locked up. I thought that might be because I looked a bit dodgy.
I think July might be a bit optimsitic.

I wasnt expecting much from CRK but was a still a bit disappointed.
Played with a K-5 +17-70 (felt heavy) & 645D (felt realllllly heavy) but there was no 50-135 no 15,35,40 or 70 (but 3 silver FA & a 21) and no 18-135. The prices they were quoting were all RRP.
If wanted to test lenses for potential purchase I'd have been better off going to DCW.

I was going to whip out my Extreme Pro (SD card) for the Sandisk girls but I've only got a small 8Gig one, so they'd probably just point and laugh.

I think the guys with the Cannons were checking out the lower portion of those 2 Sandisk promo girls.

Worth going to, but I spent more time looking at the photo awards and print displays.
06-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
Hold on!

The K-r is the same colour as the Jill-E bags :-)

Pantone has been busy at one end of the spectrum.

The Canon S95 street price is ~US$360 now, so A$350. Almost 40% off list.

The Q kit could be sub-$500 by Christmas.

We all need to hope the Yen starts tanking.
06-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member
steve1307's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,128
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Hold on!

The K-r is the same colour as the Jill-E bags :-)

Pantone has been busy at one end of the spectrum.

The Canon S95 street price is ~US$360 now, so A$350. Almost 40% off list.

The Q kit could be sub-$500 by Christmas.

We all need to hope the Yen starts tanking.
Australia still has inflated prices in stores:

Even though the Q "defies" comparison here a some local comparisons which I looked at at PMA today.


Canon S95 is about A$510
Panasonic LX5 (24-90zoom) about A$620
Panasonic GF2 +1lens about A$820
no prices on the GF3 yet
Sony NEX5 +18-55 about A$850

but...Fuji X100 about A$1200 same as the U.S.
06-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member
pop4's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: YMML
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,877
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Look, but no touch - apparently they are not allowed to let people touch the camera and take photos (it's a beta version of the firmware), but the Q will be available in Australia "sometime in July" retailing for A$799 with the prime lens (which is a very good price compared to GF3 - A$799 body only, Canon S95 A$599):
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
The Q's werent mock up (so CRK said) and were working "beta" models. I figured they wouldnt let anyone stick a memory card in one but, I was hoping to at least hold one to see it was built nicely (like a Fuji X100). I was told that they were under strict instructions to keep them locked up. I thought that might be because I looked a bit dodgy.
I think July might be a bit optimsitic.
Same thing happened to me and "kyteflyer", as mentioned in the PMA thread: we could look at them, but they weren't moving out of their display case. I guess we all look dodgy
I was also told a July release, but the Q isn't something that interests me.

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Even though the Q "defies" comparison here a some local comparisons which I looked at at PMA today.
Were they the "RRP"s that you were looking at? Street price tends to be a bit lower then the RRP/MSRP. I mean, the 645D had RRP as A$13000, but you can buy them for around A$11000 in stores.

06-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member
steve1307's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,128
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote

Were they the "RRP"s that you were looking at? Street price tends to be a bit lower then the RRP/MSRP. I mean, the 645D had RRP as A$13000, but you can buy them for around A$11000 in stores.
The pricing sheets on the CRK stand were all RRP. ie much more than store price like you said, so I didnt take much notice of them.

For Sydney stores, I Look at DCW or digidirect or dirtcheap or camera-warehouse or vanbar for online prices.
The compact camera prices S95, LX5 etc I listed came from those.

The US stores list these cameras much lower so the Q at $700US seems way overpriced in comparison. A$700 in store here is kind of in the middle above the S95 and LX5 non interchangeble lend and the 4/3's camera.

Comparison, in price only I am talking about. Yes, the sensor is tiny but if it were bigger then it would be NEX or GF2 sized and more expensive.

The Pentax Q doesn't have any directly comparable competitors but probably doesnt have a direct market either. If the sensor really IS very good in the Q (ie better than the other Sony compacts) then maybe.
06-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Same thing happened to me and "kyteflyer", as mentioned in the PMA thread: we could look at them, but they weren't moving out of their display case. I guess we all look dodgy
No, they were really under strict orders, I'm sure you guys looked well ... like photographers.

I know both Anthony and Corey at the stand, and they have no problems letting me borrow expensive lenses for a test in the past, and they said they would have been shot just for unlocking the display cabinet.

I even pleaded with Robert Kennedy to allow me to just hold it in my hand (and hold my Hello Kitty K-5 as ransom) but he wouldn't do it.
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
no prices on the GF3 yet
I think you need to speak to Aki at the Panasonic stand - she has firm pricing on the GF3 (I think she is higher up on the totem pole than the other gophers manning the stands) - she gave me firm prices on the GF3 ($999 with the twin lens kit) - because I told her I was very keen to buy one.

She also let me play with her GF3 and the two Leica lenses, which wasn't locked and tethered to a pole. AND she let me put my SD card into her GF3.
06-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
Great work Christine! A picture of a yellow K-r?
06-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Great work Christine! A picture of a yellow K-r?
Sorry, no yellow in Australia - only black, white, red and pink.
06-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member
pop4's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: YMML
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,877
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
she gave me firm prices on the GF3 ($999 with the twin lens kit) - because I told her I was very keen to buy one.
Whether you're really keen to buy one, or it was just a ploy to get to play with the GF3, I'd hold off till at least Thursday; the Olympus rep mentioned that they'll have an announcement regarding their next M4/3 cameras, and from what he said, there'll be lens announcements as well as the camera announcements.
06-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Whether you're really keen to buy one, or it was just a ploy to get to play with the GF3, I'd hold off till at least Thursday; the Olympus rep mentioned that they'll have an announcement regarding their next M4/3 cameras, and from what he said, there'll be lens announcements as well as the camera announcements.
Yeah, I got the same info from the Olympus rep.

It's kind of embarassing actually - the rep was extolling the features of the current generation to a random newbie, and I walked up to him and said "Look, I know I shouldn't be asking this, but when are the new models going to be announced???"

He stammered, uhmed and ahhed a fair bit before whispering "Thursday."

Upon which the newbie said "Why didn't you tell me new models are going to come out???"

Oops.

I said to him "You should really have the new models on display." The poor rep agreed with me and said "I know. We tried, but Japan wouldn't let us."
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, g3, gf3, hand, lens, pentax news, pentax rumors, photos, pma, touch
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something New coming at PMA Sydney? kyteflyer Pentax News and Rumors 34 06-25-2011 11:55 PM
Night Vivid Sydney 2011 Snaps elpolodiablo Post Your Photos! 12 06-09-2011 02:26 PM
Night Vivid Sydney 2011 Pt2 Ivor K Ecks Post Your Photos! 6 06-05-2011 10:36 PM
Night Vivid Sydney 2011 Ivor K Ecks Post Your Photos! 14 05-31-2011 04:16 AM
PMA Photography Expo Sydney NicoleAu Photographic Technique 4 03-18-2011 03:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top