Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From January 2011; "Although he refused to be drawn on future plans, Pound did tell us that Pentax is committed to having at least one midrange, and one high-end DSLR in the market at any given time."

06-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Flange focal distance is the problem there, so unless it's got some internal optics to deal with that (some amount of sharpness loss, maybe other lens characteristics changed) and assuming the NEX is as thin as it's possible to make a camera for E mount (18mm register) the thinnest such a K-mount EVIL could be is (45.5-18=) 27.5mm thicker than a NEX, so 67.5mm.

The K-r is 68mm thick.
Is K-r 68mm at the grip or at the bayonet?
Plus, the can be K mount thinner than 68mm. Problem is not flange distance but electronics and SR. Just look at the 135 format film K SLRs they are barely few mm thicker than the flange distance.
What I want to say is, it would take some drastic measures but K mount camera could be thinner than present 68mm
06-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
I think it will be an SLT/pellix like the new Sonies. They will call it mirrorless for marketing reasons as in some sense it is mirrorless. This will allow even smaller size and K-mount compatibility.
I am not sure we'll see one this year, but I think that's the general direction for DSLR's. There are compelling reasons for this technology give the sensitivity of new sensors, not the least of which are: FPS, AF, video, SR, retained VF, retained legacy glass, and less moving parts.

I tried a Sony A55, and thought its performance very, very good.
06-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
(...) It's also interesting that the lens-shutter-mechanism that Kenn100D points out is the only one not already pursued by someone else:
1. K-based FF-sized mount with an APS-C sensor (NEX)
2. A fixed-lens mirrorless APS-C body (X-100)
3. A new mount based on the APS-C (NX)
4. Some form of (high-end?) fixed-lens p&s (Ricoh, Sigma)
5. Full Frame sensor with ability to use legacy lenses (future NEX)

(...))
This technology is called leaf shutter and has existed for ages. You find it in the Ricoh GXR's interchangeable modules and in Fujifilm X100 for instance.

06-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Something in the Alphabet other than K or Q

but most likely APS-C...that's my guess
06-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Is K-r 68mm at the grip or at the bayonet?
Plus, the can be K mount thinner than 68mm. Problem is not flange distance but electronics and SR. Just look at the 135 format film K SLRs they are barely few mm thicker than the flange distance.
What I want to say is, it would take some drastic measures but K mount camera could be thinner than present 68mm
From what I can tell (I haven't got a K-r) it's about the same thickness in both places (image of K-x, same thing).

You're right that 35mm film SLRs were thinner, but I'm assuming this camera still needs a sensor and they won't be so revolutionary as to get rid of the big screen on the back (though I wouldn't object, personally) - both of those things have a minimum thickness and I'm assuming Sony have already made them as narrow as is currently possible for the NEX.

The fact that the K-r is just 5mm thicker than the rough calculation for minimum depth (safely assuming no radical rethink of the basic shape of a camera) adds some weight to the theory, I think.
06-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Whatever we see will mean a new line of lenses. Legacy glass will work with an adapter.

I really don;t know what to expect from Pentax. They design for the Asian market first and foremost. The K-7 is almost too small for me and while I would like to see thinner mirror-less bodies I don't have any need for something the size of the Q or NEX. If I want a P&S I would go for a Pen Mini.

06-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Whatever we see will mean a new line of lenses. Legacy glass will work with an adapter.
A second new mount only six months after the release of the Q would dilute both new mounts. And .. why lead with the Q and follow with the stronger of the two?
06-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #24
Banned

Well maybe next is J-mount from the card Jack?
06-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

It will be FF rangefinder like the Leica M9; only smaller, image stabilised, and be 1/3 cost. There will also be a 24 1.4, 35 1.4 and 50 1.4 released at the same time.

.... in my dreams
06-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
It will be FF rangefinder like the Leica M9; only smaller, image stabilised, and be 1/3 cost. There will also be a 24 1.4, 35 1.4 and 50 1.4 released at the same time.

.... in my dreams
You been smokin' those funny cigarettes again?
06-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #27
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
So now we know the shape of the first 2011 Pentax MILC. There's a persistent rumour of a second 2011 mirrorless body. What are Pentax's options, then:
1. K-based FF-sized mount with an APS-C sensor
2. A fixed-lens mirrorless APS-C body
3. A new mount based on the APS-C
4. Some form of (high-end?) fixed-lens p&s

Am I alone in thinking that it's this wide open?

(I'm going discount, out of hand, a µ43-based body)
I think none of these :- )

I think it will have the following features:

1) I think a APS-C size sensor.

2) A camera that is about the size of a Kx without the big grip (because they will not use AA's) and and lower because a mirror less does not need the high prism housing.

3) An articulating screen :- )

4) I'm thinking it will be made to use all current K mount lenses.

5) Weather sealed.

I think this will be right up there with the K-5, just mirror less. I'm expecting great video also.

Just my take. A camera like that would be a show stopper.

I don't care that much about a 4/3 size camera, after all Pentax has a small mirror less, the Q.

Now they will go for the throat with this new machine :- )

At least I can dream can't I ......

wll
06-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Flange focal distance is the problem there, so unless it's got some internal optics to deal with that (some amount of sharpness loss, maybe other lens characteristics changed) and assuming the NEX is as thin as it's possible to make a camera for E mount (18mm register) the thinnest such a K-mount EVIL could be is (45.5-18=) 27.5mm thicker than a NEX, so 67.5mm.

The K-r is 68mm thick.
think out of the box. --- a thin body with a new mount---with an extension tube
like adapter to k mount, perhaps crippled for SDM only (no screw)--or maybe the screw motor moved to an outlandishily expensive adapter. This would get most of the mechanicals out of the camera body and potentially make it a really low cost to produce body.

If you could get a basic body that would provide the quality and capability
of an SLR that could be sold for say $200 or 300 a new class of camera would be born. for those who need an optical viewfinder, create a clip on optical viewfinder
using data from the EXDIF of the lens to drive a zoom in what would be a 'twin lens reflex.

At some point the question must be answered: are camera makers making camera bodies to utilize a large legacy collection of optics or are they making cameras to minimize the cost and maximize the quality of digital photos.

Electronics are very cheap while mechanical parts are very expensive
06-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Swappable sensor module to satisfy PF ppl who want FF.

I have my hopes up.
Pentax was willing to leak info and photos of the Q, but its really 'top secret' on the other EVIL.
So its going to be ME-Super sized and styling K-mount EVIL
(with that changeable sensor back for those folk who want FF of course)
06-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #30
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote

I think it will have the following features:
1) I think a APS-C size sensor.
2) A camera that is about the size of a Kx without the big grip (because they will not use AA's) and and lower because a mirror less does not need the high prism housing.
3) An articulating screen :- )
4) I'm thinking it will be made to use all current K mount lenses.
5) Weather sealed.

wll
Good weed.