Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well maybe next is J-mount from the card Jack?
I like the J mount idea too - fits with the terminology, smaller mount but can do two things - J mount and K mount via proper adapter (at LEAST Auto aperture, likely SDM support and less likely but nice some sort of screwdrive...wishful on the last one).

06-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I think none of these :- )

I think it will have the following features:

1) I think a APS-C size sensor.

2) A camera that is about the size of a Kx without the big grip (because they will not use AA's) and and lower because a mirror less does not need the high prism housing.

3) An articulating screen :- )

4) I'm thinking it will be made to use all current K mount lenses.

5) Weather sealed.

I think this will be right up there with the K-5, just mirror less. I'm expecting great video also.

Just my take. A camera like that would be a show stopper.

I don't care that much about a 4/3 size camera, after all Pentax has a small mirror less, the Q.

Now they will go for the throat with this new machine :- )

At least I can dream can't I ......

wll
This actually sounds reasonable. I also think the next one will be mirrorless. Pentax is not going to make a full frame camera so I'd get over that one or buy a Canon or Nikon. They are good cameras. I would bet that you will be able to use the old K mount/M42 mount lenses on any ASPC mirrorless they make. That said, I'm sure the good folks at Pentax would appreciate their users purchasing their new lenses. As for the "uncrippled mount dead horse," I just can't see them investing a lot of time or money in making sure users of a 20+ year old M lenses are happy with their newest model cameras. Get an EPL2, they work just fine on those.

Actually if you put the K5 with the 31/43/77mm lenses their system is as good as anything by Nikon or Canon. They just don't make a lot of lenses for bird photographers or sports photographers, ect.

I think Canon and Nikon have those markets and Pentax will just have to content itself with being a sort of traditionalist photographer's camera. They really just need a f2.8 28mm equivalent and they are set.
06-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Swappable sensor module to satisfy PF ppl who want FF.

I have my hopes up.
Pentax was willing to leak info and photos of the Q, but its really 'top secret' on the other EVIL.
So its going to be ME-Super sized and styling K-mount EVIL
(with that changeable sensor back for those folk who want FF of course)
No need for a swappable sensor. It won't be much except a sensor in a box sturdy enough to support good optics.
Maybe an articulating screen, but really, it could just as well have a wireless tether to an I-pad, or a tablet, so you can hold you I-pad in one hand and shake the camera with the other.
06-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
think out of the box. --- a thin body with a new mount---with an extension tube
like adapter to k mount, perhaps crippled for SDM only (no screw)--or maybe the screw motor moved to an outlandishily expensive adapter. This would get most of the mechanicals out of the camera body and potentially make it a really low cost to produce body.

If you could get a basic body that would provide the quality and capability
of an SLR that could be sold for say $200 or 300 a new class of camera would be born. for those who need an optical viewfinder, create a clip on optical viewfinder
using data from the EXDIF of the lens to drive a zoom in what would be a 'twin lens reflex.

At some point the question must be answered: are camera makers making camera bodies to utilize a large legacy collection of optics or are they making cameras to minimize the cost and maximize the quality of digital photos.

Electronics are very cheap while mechanical parts are very expensive
Thank you. I've been saying something like this to myself for months now. I don't mean to pick on anyone, but there's an awful lot of conventional thinking expressed on these message boards - and many others across the Internet - by people who have never designed a camera or lens. So many people dismissing ideas as "impossible" because of the unbreakable laws of physics. In fact, many problems are quite solvable within those laws by thinking outside of the box. Here's hoping Pentax has its best, brightest and most creative minds working on this.

06-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by zelovoc Quote
isn`t the Q mount big enough to have a next MILC body with bigger senzor and same mount? something similar, slightly smaller as u4/3 ?
My thought exactly. I think crop factor of 2-3 is what we will see, using Q, and that is the reason why the lenses have numbers, not just mm, they are to be used on different siza sensor.
06-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #36
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PentaxQ001.pdf

No plans to launch K-mount mirrorless near future. They plan to develop exicting mounts - 645, K and Q further...
They made Pentax Q instead of K-mount mirrorless.

This camera is positioned as an alternative to entry level dslrs not compacts;

Which kind of weed HOYA marketing smoke? It's unreal to deceive physics. Crop 5.6 will never be even like crop 2.

Last edited by ogl; 06-27-2011 at 04:47 AM.
06-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
PentaxQ001.pdf

No plans to launch K-mount mirrorless near future. They plan to develop exicting mounts - 645, K and Q further...

I disagree. The Q is positioned as a high-end compact, a 'real' camera as opposed to a cameraphone. It's a step up from a traditional compact and a step up from a bridge camera. All of these are areas where Pentax is market and product weak.

Its relationship to DSLR is as a second camera. The Q is the Pentax compact Pentax DSLR shooters will buy as a second, fun/serious system.

I think Pentax will be patient on mirrorless APS-C. They will go when/where Canikon goes. So far mirrorless systems have been taking share from the compact end of the market. The big $$$ end of after-market optics is still totally dominated by DSLR.

06-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #38
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I disagree. The Q is positioned as a high-end compact, a 'real' camera as opposed to a cameraphone. It's a step up from a traditional compact and a step up from a bridge camera. All of these are areas where Pentax is market and product weak.
Disagree with HOYA? It's not my words...It's HOYA words from presentation.
06-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
It will be FF rangefinder like the Leica M9; only smaller, image stabilised, and be 1/3 cost. There will also be a 24 1.4, 35 1.4 and 50 1.4 released at the same time.

.... in my dreams
Mine too. I actually see real potential here except we'd see them drag out the 40mm 2.8 limited to make the thing REALLY tiny (comparatively)
06-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Disagree with HOYA? It's not my words...It's HOYA words from presentation.
I read the Q&A. The market placement comments are trade puffery talk; nothing of substance. Every new sedan released by every automaker 'redefines the class'. It's still a sedan.

It's a P&S sensor in a high-end, customizable, stylish package with DSLR functions. It's way above a smartphone and most compacts and when the package of lens + body is factored in, comes in at volume/weight ~30% smaller than the M43's (compare the GF3 with lens to the Q....not even close in category). One common comment about M43 is that they are not really 'small' compared to a P&S. They are much closer to DSLR size (especially those with a VF).

That's called 'market separation'.

If it did not have ILC's it would be seen as an LX-5 competitor.

The market space below DSLR/M43 and above compacts has always been ill-defined. I am thinking of the DSLR-like Fuji models, for example, all the way down to the LX-5. The Q is on that space and, critically, is there both on price point and where it will sit on retail shelves. Pentax gets little say over the latter. The channel will place the Q.
06-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Flange focal distance is the problem there, so unless it's got some internal optics to deal with that (some amount of sharpness loss, maybe other lens characteristics changed) and assuming the NEX is as thin as it's possible to make a camera for E mount (18mm register) the thinnest such a K-mount EVIL could be is (45.5-18=) 27.5mm thicker than a NEX, so 67.5mm.

The K-r is 68mm thick.
This is why I still think Pentax should abandon the K-mount for their high end CSC. They should just make some sort of smart adapter for k-mount glass (hopefully better than Olympus' 4/3's adapter). Pentax could even do what Olympus is rumored to be doing with interchangeable lens mounts to help people transition. I have a k-mount adapter for both my 4/3's and NEX cameras. The size of the adapter alone is bigger than a pancake prime. I simply don't see how Pentax can compete in a size war if they keep on using the K-mount. I think now is the perfect time for a fresh start.
06-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
They should just make some sort of smart adapter for k-mount glass (hopefully better than Olympus' 4/3's adapter).
adapter that must support mechanical interfaces (screwdriven AF = must have some in-body motor in adapter and aperture control) is difficult to make better than all electronic adapter (like Oly and/or Pana adapters for 43 -> m43) for AF lenses...
06-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #43
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
compare the GF3 with lens to the Q....not even close in category

Pentax Q + kit prime: 200g + 37g = 237g
GF3 + kit prime: 319g

Pentax Q + kit zoom: 200g + 96g = 296g
GF3 + kit zoom: 475g

Pentax Q sensor size: 28.5 mm^2
GF3 sensor size: 225 mm^2

Would be interesting to see how much the Olympus EPM-1 with the new 14-42mm kit zoom weights; I expect somewhat less than GF3's 475g.
06-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #44
Veteran Member

PentaxQ001.pdf

Which kind of weed HOYA marketing smoke? It's unreal to deceive physics. Crop 5.6 will never be even like crop 2.
They didn't say no plans anywhere just like they didn't say no FF, they just said they had nothing to say at this point. not a big surprise given they were holding a press conference for the Q system and they stayed on topic and on point not derailing the focus from the new product. the only mention was they will continue to devlop and support the 3 mounts (Q K 645) not we will continue to support k, but only as an aps-c format slr, or 645 only as a crop version of a 645 sensor. you read way too much into no comment to suit your own views. Your almost as bad as EMAC
06-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #45
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
They didn't say no plans anywhere
Turn your brain ON. And learn to analyze.
1. K-mount and compact mirrorless are incompatible.
2. They decided not to make K-mount mirrorless and made Pentax Q. Because of compactness.
3. They plan to develop only 3 existing mounts - 645, K and Q. It means that we won't see MORE mounts.
4. Mount Q lenses can't cover APS-C or 4/3 sensor.

It's easy.

Last edited by ogl; 06-27-2011 at 09:52 AM.