Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #106
Forum Member
Jan67's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 84
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote

In any case An APS-C with Kmount lenses wouldnt be much thinner in the body than a DSLR just because of the registration distance.

Pentax Q - 9.2mm
Sony NEX - 18mm
M 4/3 - 20mm
Leica M - 27.8mm
Pentax K - 45.46mm
We all can see the GXR prototype of the M-mount and Voigtländer 28mm:

Registration distance difference between M-mount and K-mount is ca 18mm.
If the thickness of the GXR K-mount module would be similar (probably without SR) then total lenght of the camera (including reg. dist. difference) would be:
with DA21mm ca 8mm less then with Voigtländer 28mm
with FA77mm ca 14mm more then with Voigtländer 28mm

Everybody can imagine on that video if it's too much or not.
SR is of course an issue.

07-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #107
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
It's probably do-able at least in MF as but it wouldnt be any thinner because the K-mount register dist is 45.46mm.
The M-mount is more suitable with 27.8mm register dist and all manual focus lenses anyway.


It wouldn't necessarily be better than a dedicated APS-C EVIL but maybe eaiser/cheaper to develop to just use K-mount

In any case An APS-C with Kmount lenses wouldnt be much thinner in the body than a DSLR just because of the registration distance.

Pentax Q - 9.2mm
Sony NEX - 18mm
M 4/3 - 20mm
Leica M - 27.8mm
Pentax K - 45.46mm

The GXR system is an interesting concept.
At PMA Sydney there were several other interesting modules a module with a Boroscope, a mini projector?, a storage module for tranferring from the memory card.
It could still be thin enough with a 50mm module and and aps-c sensor trumps the nano-size sensor in the Q. Anything not at least as big as the sensor in the LX5 and I may as well just use the camera in my Gallaxy which is in my shirt pocket anyway.

Edit: Lets face it, this GXR with the aps-c module with integrated 33/2.5 lens isn't going to fit in my shirt pocket anymore than my e-p1 with a 17mm pancake. However, it would be pretty darn cool to have a module to allow the use of the DA 35mm ltd and 21 ltd and 70 ltd and even the D FA 100 WR.
http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/Product-Review-Ricoh-GXR-A10-Module

Last edited by Blue; 07-03-2011 at 03:29 PM.
07-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #108
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
The Pentax Q and the Pentax NC-1 are just different names for the same camera:

2011 Pentax roadmap reveals no second mirrorless camera but I still believe | Photo Rumors
Thanks for the link. Note how this is the compacts division roadmap.

I agree, it now appears to be likely that NC-1 just was a working title for "the first new compact", named Q as a product.

OTOH, nobody claimed the forthcoming mirrorless with K mount adaptivity would be called NC-1. But there are now no recent sources of said camera so I am sceptical too.
07-04-2011, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #109
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
What do you think - am i really stupid?

I know that flange focal distance of K mount is rather long: 45.46 mm.

Anyway...

*ist D was 129 x 95 x 60 mm mm and it's very small camera.
*ist DS was 125 x 93 x 66 mm...

The smallest DSLR with SR is K-x:
123 x 92 x 68 mm

GXR body is 113.9 mm x 70.2 mm (WxH).
The thickness of part for module is very thin.


Camera body (excluding battery, memory card, neck strap, and connector cap): 160 g. The module weight could be very light too.

The thickness of module could be not above 55 mm. IMO.
For example, NX100 is 120 x 71 x 35 mm.
GXRII could be made a bit smaller than now. But...Anyway.
113*70*55 mm is smaller than any Pentax DSLR ever made. Am I wrong?

As for SR - I don't see problem to develop new compact version of SR especially for GXR module.

I think it's real to add simple WR to GXRII body and to K-mount module.


For tiny size Pentax made Q system.

07-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #110
Veteran Member
uccemebug's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I know that flange focal distance of K mount is rather long: 45.46 mm.

Anyway...

*ist D was 129 x 95 x 60 mm mm and it's very small camera.
*ist DS was 125 x 93 x 66 mm...

The smallest DSLR with SR is K-x:
123 x 92 x 68 mm

GXR body is 113.9 mm x 70.2 mm (WxH).
The thickness of part for module is very thin.

Camera body (excluding battery, memory card, neck strap, and connector cap): 160 g. The module weight could be very light too.

The thickness of module could be not above 55 mm. IMO.
For example, NX100 is 120 x 71 x 35 mm.
GXRII could be made a bit smaller than now. But...Anyway.
113*70*55 mm is smaller than any Pentax DSLR ever made. Am I wrong?

As for SR - I don't see problem to develop new compact version of SR especially for GXR module.

I think it's real to add simple WR to GXRII body and to K-mount module.

For tiny size Pentax made Q system.
Your last sentence confuses me a bit. But your math sounds right if you're talking about a K-mount GXR unit. Doesn't seem terribly ambitious or impossible, and I'd expect to see the announcement ASAP following the October finalization.

Wait a minute, this is a positive, forward-looking post. Who are you and what have you done with the real Ogl? (I jest, I jest). ;^P
07-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Your last sentence confuses me a bit. But your math sounds right if you're talking about a K-mount GXR unit. Doesn't seem terribly ambitious or impossible, and I'd expect to see the announcement ASAP following the October finalization.

Wait a minute, this is a positive, forward-looking post. Who are you and what have you done with the real Ogl? (I jest, I jest). ;^P
07-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #112
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Your last sentence confuses me a bit. But your math sounds right if you're talking about a K-mount GXR unit. Doesn't seem terribly ambitious or impossible, and I'd expect to see the announcement ASAP following the October finalization.

Wait a minute, this is a positive, forward-looking post. Who are you and what have you done with the real Ogl? (I jest, I jest). ;^P
I've examined Ricoh's cameras and I think rather smart designers developed it.
Anyway, I could be emphatic and high-pitched sometimes. :ugh: But...
I'm very positive man with Asperger syndrome. No jokes. Be tolerant to me, please.

Last edited by ogl; 07-05-2011 at 12:15 AM.
07-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #113
Veteran Member
uccemebug's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I've examined Ricoh's cameras and I think rather smart designers developed it.
Yeah, I agree. I hope they come to Canada shortly.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'm very positive man with Asperger syndrome. Be tolerant to me, please.
You got it.

07-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #114
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The thickness of module could be not above 55 mm. IMO.
That limit would be for the module body alone. The mount would still protrude enough for the lens' register.

Some questions occur to me:

* Some will want to use long/heavy lenses on modules. How strong is the GXR module latch? Is there a weight limit?
* How large a sensor can the GXR support? Is FF impossible, or even 645? Given Ricoh's interest in MF, can we expect an upscaled GXM body?
* Can 3rd parties make indy modules, for mounts/formats Ricoh-Pentax won't support?
* Can this gear be priced so it's not just wet dreams for most of us?
07-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #115
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
Could a collapsible k-mount be engineered? You power up and the whole mount extend out, just like those lenses on compacts...
Or maybe something more mechanical, like a lever on the camera's left side?

In either cases, the lens' weight could be a problem... Imagine holding a 70-200/2.8 by the body alone!
07-05-2011, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #116
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Could a collapsible k-mount be engineered? You power up and the whole mount extend out, just like those lenses on compacts...
Or maybe something more mechanical, like a lever on the camera's left side?

In either cases, the lens' weight could be a problem... Imagine holding a 70-200/2.8 by the body alone!
The heaviest Leica M-mount lenses
LEICA SUMMILUX-M 75mm f/1.4 - 560 g.
LEICA ELMARIT-M 90mm f/2.8 silver chrome - 560 g.
LEICA APO-TELYT-M135mm f/3.4 - 450 g.


The heaviest K-mount (DA lenses) lenses
DA* 60-250/4 ED [IF] SDM - 1040 g.
DA* 300/4 ED [IF] SDM - 1070 g.


I don't think that 1.5 kg lens is problem for metal construction of GXR and plastic latch.





Anyway, the constructive plastic could be stronger and more durable than steel.

Last edited by ogl; 07-05-2011 at 01:07 AM.
07-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #117
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
As for FF module for GXR. I think it could be real, but if Ricoh makes GXRII or GXRIII body for this.
07-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #118
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That limit would be for the module body alone. The mount would still protrude enough for the lens' register.

Some questions occur to me:

* Some will want to use long/heavy lenses on modules. How strong is the GXR module latch? Is there a weight limit?
* How large a sensor can the GXR support? Is FF impossible, or even 645? Given Ricoh's interest in MF, can we expect an upscaled GXM body?
* Can 3rd parties make indy modules, for mounts/formats Ricoh-Pentax won't support?
* Can this gear be priced so it's not just wet dreams for most of us?
Given it would have a mount in lieu of lenses, I don't see why it wouldn't be the same or even less than current modules.
07-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Given it would have a mount in lieu of lenses, I don't see why it wouldn't be the same or even less than current modules.
I tend to agree, since there is no lens involved but a mount to support lenses i could see it costing about 1/3 less than the mount with a lens, perhaps packaged with a lens for slightly more than the fixed lens variants
(pop photo has a great price on the wide angle kitted with the body for instance)
07-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #120
Veteran Member
uccemebug's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't think that 1.5 kg lens is problem for metal construction of GXR and plastic latch.
Nice find.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Given it would have a mount in lieu of lenses, I don't see why it wouldn't be the same or even less than current modules.
Interesting point. I can't help but think they already have one+ designs ready to go. They already know how to build an ILC module around an APS-C sensor and they've had access to the K mount specifications.

I don't know if Ricoh's going to be able to pull it off but I expect them to make a serious run with the K mount. I think Ricoh is encouraged by the changes in market share, recently: Canon is no more the unassailable leader, and frankly Nikon strikes me as being more reactionary than leading in its product designs and placement. You can see the excitement that must be building in the small players echoed in the comments from Fuji's CEO in which ever thread.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, fixed-lens, mirrorless, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The forthcoming Pentax Mirrorless Camera falconeye Pentax News and Rumors 553 11-11-2011 02:55 PM
Pentax Q mirrorless, I might get my wife one... JohnBee Pentax Compact Cameras 22 09-23-2011 07:05 AM
Pentax on mirrorless: 'we never rule anything out' Art Vandelay II Pentax News and Rumors 21 01-11-2011 05:29 PM
Question about Pentax Mirrorless Winder Photographic Technique 5 11-19-2010 03:32 PM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top