Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #61
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Turn your brain ON. And learn to analyze.
1. K-mount and compact mirrorless are incompatible.
2. They decided not to make K-mount mirrorless and made Pentax Q. Because of compactness.
3. They plan to develop only 3 existing mounts - 645, K and Q. It means that we won't see MORE mounts.
4. Mount Q lenses can't cover APS-C or 4/3 sensor.

It's easy.
No discussion on this statement! But maybe all three mounts aren't putting out to there maximum sensorsize:
  • K-mount can go FF wich is more then twice the sice of current sensor (2 1/3th bigger).
  • 645 mount on current 645D is only going a crop of maximum size. (1 3/4th bigger is possible).
  • What if Q is also just part of it's potential and can handle 2/3" sensor wich is twice the size of the current sensor (still a small sensor).

When lenses are designed to a possible future like this then there is more possible then you think.

06-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha-ha...Retail...I spent many years in secret service
Explains a lot
You had no need to understand consumers
I on the other hand relied on it for my paycheck
06-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
  • What if Q is also just part of it's potential and can handle 2/3" sensor wich is twice the size of the current sensor (still a small sensor).
We still haven't seen any official pics from the Q yet, so I am doing my best to withhold judgment, but man I wish they'd have used a 2/3's sensor. I would be legitimately excited about 2/3's based system. Unlike m4/3's, which I consider a do everything system, I wouldn't consider using a 2/3's system as my only camera system, but a 2/3's system would compliment a larger camera system quite nicely. They could have made a small collapsible f/4 standard zoom for walk around use, then a series of fast primes to go along with it. A portrait prime somewhere in the neighborhood of a 25mm f/1.4 would actually give you a decent amount of DOF control. Shallow DOF in the wide angles would be pretty hopeless, but that's what the larger main system would be for.
06-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I think none of these :- )
I think it will have the following features:
1) I think a APS-C size sensor.
So, my #1 option?

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Swappable sensor module to satisfy PF ppl who want FF.
Ooooo! 8^J

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
We still haven't seen any official pics from the Q yet, so I am doing my best to withhold judgment, but man I wish they'd have used a 2/3's sensor.
The Q system isn't designed for my interests, in posting this thread I was more interested in what the next mirrorless system might be like.

But I will add: isn't a ~2/3" system what Nikon's supposed to be doing?

06-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I spent many years in secret service
LOL. So did many people.
GRU or the FSB/SVR predecessor? Or something else interesting? [Not expecting an answer, of course].
06-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #66
Veteran Member

My question is:

Will Pentax use the K-5 sensor in the APS-C mirror-less and then use the new Sony 24MP APS-C sensor in the K-5 replacement?

What AF motor will the new mirror-less system use? Surely they have moved past SDM and have something better.

Will Pentax give us some serious glass or will we get another slow plastic lens?
06-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
And Pentax has it under their DSLR line:

PentaxWebstore - Digital SLR Cameras

The channel has spoken. Pentax marketing can blah blah blah about "new category", but it's being lumped in already. It requires a much more attractive street price.
Pentax USA that is.
Pentax Europe put it into a new category (Digital Mirrorless) alongside P&S, bridge and dSLR.

It's clear Pentax tries to make the Q compete against µFT. And given the poor ISO and DR performance of recent Olympus sensors compared to Sony, they actually may succeed.

However, the real competitors will be enthusiast compacts (like the LX5 or S95). The LX5 almost matches the noise characteristics of the much bigger Olympus FT cameras (same grey noise according to DPR) and the real mirrorless competitors for Pentax will be Sony and forthcoming mirrorless APS-Cs.

Pentax seems to have come up with the same analysis and made both their teams (P&S and dSLR) develop mirrorless, the Q and NC-1, respectively.

The Q is going to compete against µFT (but being a compact, it's price will have to go down to compete against LX5 and alike or it will eventually fail).

The NC-1 is going to compete against NEX and alike and will feature K-mount lens compatibility (most likely via an adapter and most likely APS-C).

I said this all in January in a thread which has grown rather big, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/129409-forthcoming-pen...ss-camera.html

That was about the NC-1, not Q which I didn't anticipate at that time. Which would be another sign that the Q was developed in parallel by the P&S team.

I think the NC-1 was delayed by the earthquake and Q launch. So, if not spring, autumn will be the next likely release date.

06-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #68
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pentax USA that is.

I think the NC-1 was delayed by the earthquake and Q launch. So, if not spring, autumn will be the next likely release date.
Pentax has no any plant in Japan. It can't explain why Q launched, but NC-1 - not.
According HOYA presentation, Q is Pentax mirrorless camera for years. No any hint to APS-C mirrorless soon.

Last edited by ogl; 06-28-2011 at 01:10 AM.
06-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #69
ogl
Banned

Meanwhile Olympus launches three new cameras
Olympus E-P3
Olympus E-PL3
Olympus E-PM1
and two new lenses 12/2.0 (made in Japan) and 45/1.8 very soon...

NX20 and NX200 with 5 new lenses are close. NEX7 is just round a corner.

Pentax Q looks very pale and strange against the background of heavy growth and rapid upsurge of NEX, NX and m4/3...
06-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #70
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I have to admit the new Pana looks very pretty and there are a couple of nice lenses, but for me it's either be pocket-able or I may as well just carry my K7 with a small prime, the weight difference for that is acceptable to me
It depends on the pockets.

My GF1 (larger than GF2/GF3/EPM-1) fits in my rain jacket pockets with 20mm and 9-18mm lenses attached fairly easily (and by extension with the Oly 14-42mm and 14mm lenses I don't own) and with the 14-45mm lens attached just barely.

That's actually very useful when it rains, as I can hide it from the rain without a dedicated camera bag needed.

They don't comfortably fit in jeans or shirt pockets even with the 20mm attached - but then IMHO neither does any other interchangeable lens system, not Q (debateable), not GXR, not NEX, nor even the multitude of bridge compacts - one needs to go S95 or smaller for that.

Of course the Q will be somewhat more pocketable than that.

Last edited by juu; 06-28-2011 at 01:44 AM.
06-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #71

Meanwhile Olympus launches three new cameras
Olympus E-P3
Olympus E-PL3
Olympus E-PM1
and two new lenses 12/2.0 (made in Japan) and 45/1.8 very soon...

NX20 and NX200 with 5 new lenses are close. NEX7 is just round a corner.

Pentax Q looks very pale and strange against the background of heavy growth and rapid upsurge of NEX, NX and m4/3...
To be fair, Olympus has basically been re-releasing the same body with a different name every few months.

Now Samsung, they actually act like they want to sell stuff.
06-28-2011, 04:27 AM   #72
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
To be fair, Olympus has basically been re-releasing the same body with a different name every few months.
43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) First non blurred E-P3 picture with 12mm lens (+ FT5 Olympus rumor summary)

a lot of steps forward.
06-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unhappily, the photo's been taken down, now.
06-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Unhappily, the photo's been taken down, now.
Here.

I find it a very nice looking camera, aesthetically.
06-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #75
Veteran Member

The new PEN's do sound amazing...if the rumors are to be believed. Hard to believe that they've outdone Panasonic in autofocus speed (as well as most DSLR's also). I guess we'll find out on Thursday. Will be interesting to compare the Pen Mini with the Pentax Q. Aside from those 3mp test shots briefly posted on Imaging Resource we haven't seen any photos from the Q, but with a 1/2.3 sensor is there any way the Q can compete with the PEN? The Q may be a touch smaller, but is it enough to worry about? We'll see I guess. Deciding between the E-PL3 and the EP-3 will be tough for some I imagine. It makes little sense to me why Olympus would put a flip out screen on the E-PL3 and not the E-P3. If the E-PL3 really does look exactly like the X-Z1 it will make a great stealth street shooter with it's small size, rotating LCD, and matte black finish.