Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There may not be a 2nd mirrorless camera

Leaked Pentax document indicates that there may not be a second mirrorless camera | Photo Rumors

This upside down PDF document contains Q&A on the freshly released Pentax Q camera. Some of the answers indicate that there may not be a second mirrorless camera from Pentax this summer. I did express this concern in previous posts – the Pentax NC-1 and Pentax Q were probably different names for the same camera. Here is the Q&A recap from Ricehigh:

A1: “Q” stands for Queen and Quality;

A11: Body is made in Philippines, “High Performance” lenses are in Vietnam whereas the “Toy” lenses are made in Thailand.

A17: The flange focal length is 9.2mm.

A20: A brand new image processing engine is used. It is NOT a PRIME!

A21: The Q has no AA filter.

A26: There is no PEF (compressed Pentax RAW) file format supported.

A29: Whether AF is available/works under video recording mode is uncertain.

A31: The number of segments for multi-segment metering mode exposure calculation is unknown.

A34: There is only 1EV exposure compensation allowed.

A43: Number of lens aperture blades for the “high performance” lenses is 5.

A49: The size of image circle of the Q lenses cannot be told.

A52: New Q lenses are engineered by Pentax solely.

A55: There is no plan to release a K-mount mirrorless. Concentration and efforts of development will only be put into the existing three lineups, i.e., K-mount APS-C DSLRs, the 645D and the Q system.

A56: There is no plan for Full Frame camera in the foreseeable future.

06-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote

A55: There is no plan to release a K-mount mirrorless. Concentration and efforts of development will only be put into the existing three lineups, i.e., K-mount APS-C DSLRs, the 645D and the Q system.

A56: There is no plan for Full Frame camera in the foreseeable future.
A54 Do you plan to launch mirrorless camera with K-mount : Although we are examining we cannot advise of any detail

A56 Will you launch full frame camera in near future? : We do not have anything we could go into detail.

Slightly different to no plans to release K-mount mirrorless and no full frame in foreseeable future.
06-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

This document is quite clearly digitally edited/doctored, and an amateur job at that. The text does not fit and is cut off in most boxes, there are tons of typos/grammatical errors in virtually every sentence (we know they have decent English translators working in Japan from the English version of their .jp website), and they left some Japanese text.

Call me a skeptic, but I call this fake.

Last edited by Cannikin; 06-29-2011 at 03:57 PM.
06-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
This document is quite clearly digitally edited/doctored, and an amateur job at that. The text does not fit into the boxes and is cut off in most boxes, there are tons of typos/grammatical errors in virtually every sentence (we know they have decent English translators working in Japan from the English version of their .jp website), and they left some Japanese text.

I thought you were just being in denial, but I looked at it anyways.

You weren't kidding. -

Last edited by UdonUdon; 06-29-2011 at 04:01 PM.
06-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Didn't the real document get scanned and posted in another thread, by NicoleAU from memory...
06-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Forum Member

That's conspiracy theory!

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
This document is quite clearly digitally edited/doctored, and an amateur job at that. The text does not fit and is cut off in most boxes, there are tons of typos/grammatical errors in virtually every sentence (we know they have decent English translators working in Japan from the English version of their .jp website), and they left some Japanese text.

Why the heck one should spend time to digitally edit a scanned document (which doesn't have any signature or logo, btw)? wouldn't be MUCH easier to create a new one from scratch in Excel (btw, Excel crops text in cells exactly like in this case!), print it, and eventually scan it?

It can be real or fake, but if it is fake I'm pretty sure it's not doctored, simply crafted. But just because it seems so nave, I'm prone to take it as a simple working document, lost by someone and scanned by someone other...