Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
One unprofitable company buys other unprofitable company to be profitable...
Interesting movie...
That was the first thing that rolled through my mind when I turned on my computer this morning and saw the news although I think Pentax was about at the break even point. According to Wikipedia, Hoya spent a billion for Pentax so it seems Hoya took a beating here.

07-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Good point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
It's among all photo devices, including P&S. It's significantly higher for ILS though.
07-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #153
Pentaxian

I welcome the new Pentax. It will hopefully bring about a shakeup in how Japan HQ and Pentax USA communicate with each other and with customers. No more "we can't answer your question because Japan has told us nothing" replies, please.

My other hopes:
Retain the staff and policies that created the Kx/K7/Kr/K5 cameras.
Expand the K mount lens lineup.
Streamline the Pentax+Ricoh compact offerings. There are too many overlapping models.
Don't abandon the upcoming GPS accessory. I am *so* looking forward to that for astrophotography!
Reevaluate the Q and GXR. Are they complementary or competitors?
Increase USA marketing. Do it in a way that informs customers. Don't hire Ashton Kutcher
07-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting that Hoya wanted medical technology.

I would actually have thought that the company would go for a bit more.

07-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #155
Veteran Member

I think (hope) this is good news. As someone new to Pentax and dSLRs, I really want to see Pentax succeed as I've already put a lot of money into my equipment.

I believe Ricoh will invest more in marketing and that will be huge. Hoya's marketing strategy was non-existant. They also need to get Pentax cameras in brick and mortar stores so people will be more aware of them.

From what I've read in their statement, they say they'll grow the lenses and that's got to be a good thing! I've seen nothing yet to indicate that they intend to gut Pentax cameras - they bought the cameras because they need and want a presence in the dSLR market. It would make no sense for them to then kill off the K-mount cameras.
07-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #156
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Increase USA marketing. Do it in a way that informs customers. Don't hire Ashton Kutcher
This reminded me of a Nikon Ad I saw today endorsed by that great photographer.......Jaime Oliver!
07-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Curiosity,

Does anyone know what the Sony-Minolta deal was valued?

07-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #158
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The answer to all my questions. I'm right again...

Ricoh is rather marginal photo brand.
Historically, not so.

Steve

(Owner of several Ricoh cameras)
07-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #159
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Hoya "retired" Jun Hirakawa, one of the best lens designers Pentax had.

Ricoh, please bring Mr. Hirakawa back out of retirement.

Put Mr. Hirakawa to work designing new lenses for Pentax FULLFRAME DSLR & Mirrorless Cameras.

All the best on the new Ricoh-Pentax merger!

It's not merger likе HOYA/Pentax, Pentax is sold. Only brand name is alive.
07-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #160
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good News for Pentax DSLRs... I would hope that Pentax is going into a new direction with Ricoh!

I would personally prefer Panasonic to buy Pentax, and would be great to work out some fancy deals with Leica (lenses) to mount on Pentax DSLRs....
07-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #161
Veteran Member

It's not merger likе HOYA/Pentax, Pentax is sold. Only brand name is alive.
It clearly says they're retaining the production facilities and staff at each office.
07-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #162
Veteran Member

Pentax Q is Ricoh GXR no ?
I still cant get over the fact that the Q does not have a wide prime change it pentax
07-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #163
ogl
Banned

Announcement regarding Call for Voluntary Early Retirement / News Release | Ricoh Global

Announcement regarding Call for Voluntary Early Retirement

Isn't it funny? No. It's sadly.
07-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #164
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Ricoh borrowed the K Mount from Pentax, then their "pin" fouls up Pentax cameras.
This was Pentax fault. The Ricoh P mount predates and was well-established long before Pentax AF was developed.

Steve
07-01-2011, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #165
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, there are a lot of paranoid pessimists around here. Reading this thread, I thought I was on DPR.

I'm stoked about this acquisition. Hoya didn't want the Pentax camera division, it came as unwanted baggage. Ricoh is saying all the right things; they will continue the Pentax name, they bought the brand as an entry into IL, they are particularly interested in MF. Both companies are innovative, both value weather resistance, they have a shared history of K-mount lenses and their lines have very little overlap (the Q is rather Ricoh-like, but the release appears to be part of Ricoh's plan).

I don't know why people are taking shots at Ricoh's modular system. It seems like a very interesting idea to me. Look at this M-mount video, I expect an APS-C K-mount module is an eventuality. With lens interchangeability, it would be an X-100 killer. K-mount FF would be an easy implementation too:

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-01-2011 at 07:41 AM.