Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Sorry, but I don't buy that. If you're buying a house and have negotiated the deal for some time, the seller hardly makes significant changes to the house two days before signing the contract without your approval.
There's a difference between implicit approval and actual interference.

Ricoh may have just not cared about the 'Q' enough either way to kill the deal over it.

07-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote

The best thing Ricoh can do right now is reach out to the Pentax community and expain their plans for the Pentax camera division. They have to assure people the K-mount will continue, and so they are safe to keep purchasing. Second, release a lens-roadmap with an agressive schedule of new releases. That will really bolster confidence in the new ownership and future direction of Pentax.
+1.

QuoteQuote:
This really could be a great devolpment for all of us Pentax users, and I will say I don't think we could have found a better buyer than Ricoh.
Let's hope. (I'm hopeful.)

07-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This sounds like good news to me, though it was a bit of a shock to wake up to. If Ricoh is serious about competing in the interchangeable lens camera market -- as their press release stated in no uncertain terms -- then it's rather clear they are investing in the K-mount. Whether they'll be successful or not is something else altogether, but it speaks volumes to me that a camera company is buying a camera brand so that they can make and sell more cameras.

Who knows, as a side benefit, we might even see a handful of panicked Pentax owners abandoning ship and selling some FA Limiteds for dirt cheap on the marketplace. ogl, since you're usually the one leading the wave of pessimism on these forums, do you have any equipment you want to sell?
07-01-2011, 09:54 AM - 4 Likes   #229
Veteran Member

It's obviously saner for Pentax to be owned by a company who wants to develop a photo branch, than a company who wants to sell one...

07-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #230
Pentaxian

Pentax is a phototramp.
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #231
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
It's obviously saner for Pentax to be owned by a company who wants to develop a photo branch, than a company who wants to sell one...
+1 on that
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Absolutely. At best, Hoya was a half-hearted partner for Pentax. Why would Ricoh buy a camera company whose big sellers are SLRs, unless they plan to increase their market share? Nothing bad here that I can see and a lot to say in favor of it.

07-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Hopefully we will see the R&D needed to develop a good line of new high quality glass and a much improved AF system. No more golf ball sized AF points.
07-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Hopefully we will see the R&D needed to develop a good line of new high quality glass and a much improved AF system. No more golf ball sized AF points.
What did you mean by "golf ball sized AF points"? Perhaps the area AF systems I've discussed before could become a reality?

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-01-2011 at 10:23 AM.
07-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #235
Veteran Member

Im a liilte bit worried aboutbthis news. If rumors that pentax is gone hadnt been at full force then this recent activity is going to bring it to full force. However the good news is that since pentax camera wise is bigger then ricoh i cant see thrm dropping it all together but i think gone are the days or backwards compatibility. I cant see ricoh continuing to allow this. I for one have not purchased a new da lens in the past year but 2 m42 pentax lens instead. And i think this will hurt pentax sales q wise and kr wise as people will be less inclinced to jump on board a company that just got sold. Ricoh has to put it on paper that pentax the brand will not disappear to ensure that potential users will still consider it.
07-01-2011, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #236
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Five things:

1. Ricoh buying Pentax means Ricoh is serious about getting into the camera business, and wants to invest to do so. Hoya selling Pentax means that they wanted to get out of the camera business, and wanted to keep Pentax mean and lean so they could sell it as an asset. Unless they nix the K mount, I see this as a good thing for Pentax users.

2. Ricoh and Pentax both have a history of making really great prime lenses.

3. The Q Mount makes more sense as a Ricoh GXR module than it did as a camera system. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them integrated somehow.

4. For all of you who have trashed the GXR system in this thread, I'm dubious that you've ever tried it. It packs a lot of imaging into a small package-- which is the same thing people have been having nerdgasms over the larger Fuji X100 for. Oh wait, can you change the sensor in that one? No I guess you can't. Must have been a terrible idea!

The only thing it really is lacking at the moment for the GXR is more modules and more distribution/publicity.

5. As an owner of both systems -- I'm glad to say I'm pretty well covered. Score!
07-01-2011, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #237
Veteran Member

If It means something... Brand name will be "COHNTAX"
07-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Five things:

1. Ricoh buying Pentax means Ricoh is serious about getting into the camera business, and wants to invest to do so. Hoya selling Pentax means that they wanted to get out of the camera business, and wanted to keep Pentax mean and lean so they could sell it as an asset. Unless they nix the K mount, I see this as a good thing for Pentax users.

2. Ricoh and Pentax both have a history of making really great prime lenses.

3. The Q Mount makes more sense as a Ricoh GXR module than it did as a camera system. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them integrated somehow.

4. For all of you who have trashed the GXR system in this thread, I'm dubious that you've ever tried it. It packs a lot of imaging into a small package-- which is the same thing people have been having nerdgasms over the larger Fuji X100 for. Oh wait, can you change the sensor in that one? No I guess you can't. Must have been a terrible idea!

The only thing it really is lacking at the moment for the GXR is more modules and more distribution/publicity.

5. As an owner of both systems -- I'm glad to say I'm pretty well covered. Score!
Regarding GXR, ricoh can make a module with Q-Mount. So Q-Lenses will fit in. (Just an idea)
07-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Regarding GXR, ricoh can make a module with Q-Mount. So Q-Lenses will fit in. (Just an idea)
Yes, the Q mount is ideal for the GXR system, considering the size and nature of the mount.

--DragonLord
07-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #240
Veteran Member

actually, i would love K-mount in GXR modules. Really really would want it