07-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #527
Veteran Member

I'm thinking about buying this to try and appease our new overlord
07-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #528
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'm thinking about buying this to try and appease our new overlord
I loaded a roll of film in my Ricoh Five-One-Nine rangefinder today. Does that count?
07-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #529
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I loaded a roll of film in my Ricoh Five-One-Nine rangefinder today. Does that count?
It counts if you go out in public and shoot with it so that people can see that it's a Ricoh.
If you merely loaded it inside your house, and didn't go anywhere in public, I'm afraid that doesn't count.

07-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #530
Pentaxian

We're just getting rid of our Ricoh copier - doh! Just when the copiers were going to get sharper (though maybe just out of focus on the darker prints!)
07-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #531
TZH

Hopefully Pentax still announce new model at the end of this year.
07-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #532
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ahhhh,
I see it as a tax issue. Hoya can write it off as a huge loss now. With profits up more money in there pocket. (I don't mean profits up for Pentax I mean for Hoya). Just good business sucking these companys dry and milking the tax benifits when the stock market is up.
I am going to keep my eyes on Hoya's stock. If it starts to go up I'll know.

Ricoh can take there sweet time to restructure. With profits up this year for( Ricoh), they can write off a bundle. If they will put it in R&D is the answer or will they let it die. These dying companys are a bonanza for large corp. Especially with profits up. The write off is huge. They will have to make it look good. Then I would guess it will pass to another company for the same reasons and die. Really good Corp. business. It is a win win situation. The only one who looses is Pentax employe's. The good will get absorbed the bad will go to the wayside.

You will see a few years of cameras being pushed to market. In the same way Hoya did it. No R&D. Just avaliable parts. RESULTS,, same quality as Hoya which is NONE. We will see junk comming for maybe 3-5 years. Then same thing. In my opinion the K-5 proved that. Thrown togeather and pushed out. With enough Pentaxians to help the look of trying. Really Pentaxians are really helping the bottom line for these guys. With a loyal following you can inflate the worth. And make it look real.

Sure wish I would of done my homework before i bought Pentax. But that is life.

Last edited by garyk; 07-03-2011 at 05:24 PM.
07-03-2011, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #533
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Ahhhh,
I see it as a tax issue. Hoya can write it off as a huge loss now. With profits up more money in there pocket. (I don't mean profits up for Pentax I mean for Hoya). Just good business sucking these companys dry and milking the tax benifits when the stock market is up.
I am going to keep my eyes on Hoya's stock. If it starts to go up I'll know.

Ricoh can take there sweet time to restructure. With profits up this year for( Ricoh), they can write off a bundle. If they will put it in R&D is the answer or will they let it die. These dying companys are a bonanza for large corp. Especially with profits up. The write off is huge. They will have to make it look good. Then I would guess it will pass to another company for the same reasons and die. Really good Corp. business. It is a win win situation. The only one who looses is Pentax employe's. The good will get absorbed the bad will go to the wayside.

You will see a few years of cameras being pushed to market. In the same way Hoya did it. No R&D. Just avaliable parts. RESULTS,, same quality as Hoya which is NONE. We will see junk comming for maybe 3-5 years. Then same thing. In my opinion the K-5 proved that. Thrown togeather and pushed out. With enough Pentaxians to help the look of trying. Really Pentaxians are really helping the bottom line for these guys. With a loyal following you can inflate the worth. And make it look real.

Sure wish I would of done my homework before i bought Pentax. But that is life.
How do you know Hoya did not make money off Pentax medical imaging technology?

Tax write-offs only work if the amount paid is less than the marginal rate. Not the case here.

Your post is nonsense.

07-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #534
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
How do you know Hoya did not make money off Pentax medical imaging technology?

Tax write-offs only work if the amount paid is less than the marginal rate. Not the case here.

Your post is nonsense.
Well, they aren't selling the Medical part. Come Oct 1, Ricoh will be paying salaries to Pentax employees and operating costs on the photography and optics side of things.
07-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #535
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Well, they aren't selling the Medical part. Come Oct 1, Ricoh will be paying salaries to Pentax employees and operating costs on the photography and optics side of things.
Hoya kept medical and Ricoh likely did not want it. Totally different distribution systems.

You don't take a tax write'-off on gains. If both parties win-win, then the whole idea that this is a tax-driven deal is false. Pentax owns assets that deliver returns.
07-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #536
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax won't die. I think it will serve several corporations before it is finally put to death. And maybe never put to death. Loosing money is important to large company's. Buy that I mean a way to exaggerate the bottom line in regards to the profitable divisions.

My take anyway. But it don't mean squat. Personally I don't give a shit. I am just hoping they will come out with another camera that pentaxians think is the cats meow. So my lenses will sell for at least 1/2 of what I paid.

Last edited by garyk; 07-03-2011 at 07:30 PM.
07-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #537
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Hoya kept medical and Ricoh likely did not want it. Totally different distribution systems.

You don't take a tax write'-off on gains. If both parties win-win, then the whole idea that this is a tax-driven deal is false. Pentax owns assets that deliver returns.
That wasn't the point!!!! The point was it was plausible that Hoya will be able to get a tax benefit by the sale of the said unit. But I am no tax expert, especially in Japanese.
07-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #538
Site Supporter

A potential new corporate theme song:

07-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #539
Veteran Member

Perhaps it's better to wait and see just what Ricoh's intentions really are come October 1. Actually, it will probably be more like this time next year. I think that if they were serious about the camera market and the Pentax brand they would make an announcement stating their full intentions. For example, an update of the lens roadmap to show how the plan to increase availability in that direction. There are several designs that are no longer in production that could be put back in production or be redesigned to take advantage of newer technologies. "Flagship" lenses like the 600 f4, 250-600 f5.6, 400 2.8 could be modernized and placed back in limited production. A stated intention of redesigning the SDM system and expanding the use of an improved system would go a long way towards reassuring the user base. Finally, expanding the available bodies would help. Say a body lineup consisting of low end (aps-c like the K-r), mid range (aps-c like the K-5), mid range (FF like the 5D but cheaper), high range (aps-c ala 1DMKIV), high range (FF like the 1DsMKIV), lowrange MF (cut down 645D), and 645D?

EDIT: Oh yeah, add in a 1.4X and 2X teleconverter set with SDM or SDM II passthrough...

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 07-03-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added content
07-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #540
Forum Member

Ricoh's compact digitals seem to have a good reputation.

I just hope Ricoh lets Pentax make a FF so I don't have to buy one from Sony!