Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #721
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Ricoh has stated 10,000 people will find themselves out of a job over the next three years (May 26, 2011).
They said how many, but not where or how. What is their normal attrition / turnover rate? I'll guess the reductions will be a combination of firings (closing operations), and not refilling vacant positions (retirement and general quitting). I'll also guess that many reductions will be in areas where their business is declining: copiers and printers. That is unfortunately how business cycles work: hiring in booms, firing in busts. Welcome to supply and demand.

07-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #722
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
They said how many, but not where or how. What is their normal attrition / turnover rate? I'll guess the reductions will be a combination of firings (closing operations), and not refilling vacant positions (retirement and general quitting). I'll also guess that many reductions will be in areas where their business is declining: copiers and printers. That is unfortunately how business cycles work: hiring in booms, firing in busts. Welcome to supply and demand.
They stated it would by 9% of their workforce worldwide. This is why I like to see sustainability approach to business building. For what its worth, in April of 2010, Ricoh started an institute of sustainability.
07-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #723
Pentaxian

Ricoh has stated 10,000 people will find themselves out of a job over the next three years (May 26, 2011).
Yes, 10,000 "Ricoh Golden Boys" will find themselves out of a job... how is that supporting Yvon's story?
07-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #724
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, 10,000 "Ricoh Golden Boys" will find themselves out of a job... how is that supporting Yvon's story?

The May 26th article said "over the next 3 years" and after Oct 1, there will still be over 2 years and 7 months on that prediction . . .

Edit: I find it hard to believe that the Pentax purchase just magically appeared between May 26th and Jul 1.

Edit: Edit: The Pentax "Golden Boys & Girls" will be moving to Denver.

Last edited by Blue; 07-17-2011 at 11:25 AM.
07-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #725
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been enjoying the continuing "news" on the sale price. We now have MSN reporting the sale at $77 million.

AFAIK, no one has said the actual sale price. We just have news agencies parroting what other news agencies say.
07-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #726
Pentaxian

The May 26th article said "over the next 3 years" and after Oct 1, there will still be over 2 years and 7 months on that prediction . . .
So they not only planned, but announced in advance? Before having a chance to fully analysing the situation?
I doubt it.
07-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #727
Site Supporter

So they not only planned, but announced in advance? Before having a chance to fully analysing the situation?
I doubt it.
You obviously haven't followed this thread.

BBC News - Japan's Ricoh to cut 10,000 jobs

07-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #728
Pentaxian

I know about that; it's old news, really.
The question is: are they talking about current Ricoh workforce, or - as it was suggested - also about Pentax, i.e. planning to cut Pentax workforce before having a chance to analyse the situation? My guess is that it's unrelated to Pentax.
Keep in mind that Pentax was already restructured by Hoya, there is little "fat" left.
07-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #729
Site Supporter

I know about that; it's old news, really.
The question is: are they talking about current Ricoh workforce, or - as it was suggested - also about Pentax, i.e. planning to cut Pentax workforce before having a chance to analyse the situation? My guess is that it's unrelated to Pentax.
Keep in mind that Pentax was already restructured by Hoya, there is little "fat" left.
I guess only Ricoh knows that. I suspect that most of it will be international copier folks. I wonder if this was part of the overall future planning in preparation for acquiring Pentax etc. Hoya did cut some fat but they also cut some key people as well.
07-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #730
Pentaxian

From what they said, it was a necessary and long postponed move.
07-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #731
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I've been enjoying the continuing "news" on the sale price. We now have MSN reporting the sale at $77 million.

AFAIK, no one has said the actual sale price. We just have news agencies parroting what other news agencies say.
There are no news about the sales price and there never was.

The original article contained a speculation that the sales price was 10 billion Yen. That's a rounded number (read, it is a guess out of the blue) and most likely wrong by a factor of 2 at least.

English-speaking publications unseriously translated 10 billion to 134 million (USD) or 77 million (GBP) which is wrong because a guess can't be translated to an exact figure. If at all, it should have been translated to 100 million, whether be it Euro, Dollars or Pound. The 77 million $ is a simple "lost in translation" bug when copy pasting text from a UK source to the US.

We may see exact figures with Hoya's first quarterly report after Oct. 1st. Maybe.
07-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #732

Location: Redwood Valley, Nor*Cal (97--)/Pocatello,ID (90-97)/SoCal Born&Raised(71-90)
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Here's a new article on the acquisition from Pentax UK.

Pentax UK speaks out on Ricoh sale | News | TechRadar UK

Everything I hear about Ricoh and Pentax sounds good to me.
Great article, thanks! It's certainly encouraging, I hope this goes for the U.S. Division as well, and not just the UK or Europe. Pentax can get a lot of business here from Nikon and Canon if they work at it, Canikon can't be king forever in America, or can they?
07-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #733
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
There are no news about the sales price and there never was.

The original article contained a speculation that the sales price was 10 billion Yen. That's a rounded number (read, it is a guess out of the blue) and most likely wrong by a factor of 2 at least.
We may see exact figures with Hoya's first quarterly report after Oct. 1st. Maybe.
Definitelty so, the only figures given in the common statement do concern Pentax VN, and not the complete deal including all subsidiaries involved in distribution/marketing/R&D over the rest of the world.
The deal will be fixed by next october the 1st.
07-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #734

Location: Redwood Valley, Nor*Cal (97--)/Pocatello,ID (90-97)/SoCal Born&Raised(71-90)
Don't you mean this upcoming October 1st? Or is it next October?
07-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #735
Pentaxian

October 1st, 2011.