Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I see a FF on the horizon!
Front Focus?

07-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Agreed! Everyone should keep an open mind, if it goes to hell.... well then, thats that. Its only about material stuff, tools to take pictures with. If it goes well, and just maybe even better that now, thats good!

Remember, Pentax is a small actor in this industry, we should always keep in mind that nothing lasts forever and that changes will come. Im pretty sure that i'll move to another brand someday, depending on how sensor development goes and if APS-C will someday end for FF. My FA Limiteds will look really fancy on a shelf, or pay the move to another brand

Im hoping Ricoh will recognize the Limiteds, both FA and DA, and keep them in mind for the future, FF or not.....

The worst that can happen is that Ricoh abandons the K-mount effectively. This will make a lot of people wanna get out, driving lens (hopefully limiteds and * lenses) prices to the ground waiting for us to pick it up at a bargain price (I hope)
07-01-2011, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #123

RICOH - Bring Jun Hirakawa Out of Retirement!

Hoya "retired" Jun Hirakawa, one of the best lens designers Pentax had.

Ricoh, please bring Mr. Hirakawa back out of retirement.

Put Mr. Hirakawa to work designing new lenses for Pentax FULLFRAME DSLR & Mirrorless Cameras.

All the best on the new Ricoh-Pentax merger!

Last edited by Angevinn; 07-01-2011 at 05:33 AM.
07-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Aaah! I hope this means K-mount module for GXR system! That's good enough for me.

I don't understand all you wanting Pentax to be just another Canikon, but with K-mount. If you want Canikon-like lenses and Canikon-like cameras in K-mount, why are you wasting your time and money on K-mount, in the first place?

I like Pentax primarily it has, for me, much better ergonomics and much better price-performance ratio. Also, I like Ricoh's high-end compact cameras for their excellent ergonomics, and their excellent, not me-too, ideas - specifically, the GXR system, and GR-series compacts (both film-based GRs, and digital GRDs).
So, I see this merger as clear win-win situation.

07-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Hoya "retired" Jun Hirakawa, one of the best lens designers Pentax had.

Ricoh, please bring Mr. Hirakawa back out of retirement.

Put Mr. Hirakawa to work designing new lenses for Pentax FULLFRAME DSLR & Mirrorless Cameras.

All the best on the new Ricoh-Pentax merger!

All I could find to somewhat guess Jun Hirakawa's age, is the fact that he got his first patent issued for one of his inventions in 1988. I assume he was no newby at the time to be listed as the principal inventor of what was probably a team at Pentax R&D? 1988, that's 23 years ago.

Perhaps we should ask Asahiflex what's the date the picture in his Avatar was taken (if he knows?). I understand that's an image of Jun Hirakawa himself. Could give us an idea how old he is...

The man is probably in his 60s at least, enjoying retirement and not wanting to go back to work at all. I know I wouldn't want to go back to work at that age, no matter good I might have been at my job...

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 07-01-2011 at 05:54 AM.
07-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #126
Veteran Member

It’s a shame to see a fine old maker like Pentax flip-flopping between corporate owners like this. We can only hope the Pentax name survives the new merger and provides some level of stability. We shall see.

Tom G
07-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
...I don't understand all you wanting Pentax to be just another Canikon, but with K-mount. If you want Canikon-like lenses and Canikon-like cameras in K-mount, why are you wasting your time and money on K-mount, in the first place?
The K Mount is a FULLFRAME mount!

The Pentax LTD's can more than handle a Fullframe sensor.

Larger Sensors = Better IQ

Pentax is in the DSLR market, Ricoh even states this is one of the reasons for purchasing Pentax.

There are four DSLR makers in Japan left. Nikon, Sony, Canon and Pentax. As long as Pentax makes DSLR's and cameras they will be compared to (and in competition with) the other three companies.

07-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Ricoh since 1977 has rocked the imaging world

I see this as a win for Ricoh as they buy a real legacy and heritage for less than the cost of global ad campaign to remind us Ricoh makes cameras too.

Ricoh offered zero interchangeable lens autofocus slrs according to your link.

Ricoh borrowed the K Mount from Pentax, then their "pin" fouls up Pentax cameras. Slip in the feeler gauge trick or chop the lens off the Pentax camera.

Ricoh suffered many delays making their modular system:

Modular offers an answer to a question so few ask.

With sensor tech getting ever better, why attach old sensor to a new lens ?

Indeed, Pentax cameras is a big win for Ricoh, all for just 124 million dollars.

As a continuing Pentax owner I'm not sure Ricoh buyout is a win for me.

Ricoh rich heritage from 1977:

"The company finally took the name of its products, becoming Ricoh (K.K. Rikō, ㈱リコー) in 1963. From 1964, it made a few 35mm SLR with interchangeable 42mm screw lenses, most of which were called Singlex. In 1977, it switched to the K mount introduced by Pentax, for a series of cameras called XR, made until the 1990s. The only autofocus SLR cameras made by the company were the various Mirai, with non-interchangeable zoom lenses.

In 1994, Ricoh released the Ricoh R1, a compact camera with panorama mode. It was followed by various other deluxe compact cameras, such as the GR1, and the company continued this trend into the digital era with the GR Digital.

In 2009, Ricoh released the Ricoh GXR, an interchangeable lens camera without bayonet. The GXR is an interchangeable unit camera system in which lenses are changed by using a slide-in mount system to attach camera units to the body. The lens, image sensor, and image processing engine are integrated into the camera units so the body itself does not contain an image sensor."

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Ricoh - Camerapedia

Are we seriously even arguing this?
07-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #129

Photos: Albums
is Ricoh good at DSLR?
07-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #130

Hmm, I wonder what will be with the 645d, my prediction s they kill it, though I hope I'm wrong
I/just sold off my 645d to pursue tech view camera sinar artec, vit still lved my 645d

Steven
07-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
The K Mount is a FULLFRAME mount!
I'm fully aware of that fact - Pentax DA-series lenses are way too big.

For me, larger sensor = larger cameras. And full-frame 135-sized sensor simply can't deliver IQ good enough quality for increased camera-size penalty it brings.
When I need ultimate IQ, I'll bring medium format camera with me. In the mean time, APS-C does it's job just fine (for me, at least).

But that boils down to personal preference and shooting style, I suppose.
07-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Perhaps we should ask Asahiflex what's the date the picture in his Avatar was taken (if he knows?). I understand that's an image of Jun Hirakawa himself. Could give us an idea how old he is...
Wim,

The picture was made about 5 years ago, he's holding a K10D with DA40 Limited. I believe he was in his late 40's then. He's definitely not in his 60's now. However, I don't know his exact age.
07-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A reasonable good analysis of Ricoh and Pentax - so far

07-01-2011, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
All I could find to somewhat guess Jun Hirakawa's age, is the fact that he got his first patent issued for one of his inventions in 1988. I assume he was no newby at the time. 1988, that's 23 years ago.

The man is probably in his 60s, enjoying retirement and not wanting to go back to work at all. I know I wouldn't want to go back to work at that age, no matter good I might have been at my job...

Wim
Speaking from personal experience. My dad worked until he was almost 80. His friends that retired at 55-60 to play golf and lay about all day soon started wearing their underwear on the outside of their pants. Most of those guys died before the age of 70. My dad is still around. Some men enjoy work; keep your body and mind active and you'll be OK in your old age.

BTW, my dad is 90 and sharp as a tack. My uncle was a judge and he worked until he was about 80. My uncle lived to be almost 100.

"Men define themselves by their labors."

I digress, let's keep the focus on Ricoh-Pentax.

07-01-2011, 06:02 AM - 2 Likes   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax was just purchased because of their camera division, not as an "added bonus" in the sale of their medical imaging division?

Their new owners want to make deeper inroads into cameras, not just give it a fresh coat of paint and sell it off?

Sounds good to me.