Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like good news to me, I think Hoya was holding Pentax back on alot of things, and now with Ricoh in charge, they may just let Pentax be all that it could be.

06-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmm...

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I for one do not like the idea.
...Maybe it will be a good thing - I don't know.

I have always been leery of Ricoh products ever since I was burned on one of their autofocus Mirai cameras in the 90's. Total POS. Hailed as innovative, but faulty in reality. It was very expensive as well.

While everyone else is tilting toward mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras as the next big thing, Ricoh's flagship model has interchangeable lens with integrated sensor modules. I can only venture a guess as to the high price the consumer is subject to by acquiring this system over others. Innovative? Maybe. Complicated? Definitely. Necessary? Not sure, but guessing it isn't.

If Ricoh is serious about the camera market it should drop its brand and put Pentax in the forefront. Dump loads into R & D, production, quality control, and marketing. There may be room to challenge the big two or three for more market share, but the Ricoh brand isn't going to do it.

EDIT: DAMN! I just rewrote my post because I thought that I screwed up. Oh well, nevermind.
06-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #33
Veteran Member

@Emacs - or maybe a redesign of the Q a la GRD?
06-30-2011, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abgsiddiq Quote
Is this good news or bad news? Hopefully good news
Impossible to say for sure, but it seems to be more likely good news. Ricoh's core business can use Pentax Imaging more than Hoya's. Ricoh is larger than Hoya. Ricoh knows how to compete - it took on Canon directly in copiers and did extremely well against them. And it has a large distribution network.

A possible bad outcome: Pentax was just bought for the Intellectual property only, not the brand, and everything gets rebranded "Ricoh", and slowly undergoes.... a Sea Change. Sort of the Minolta-->Sony pattern, but worse.

06-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #35

Hopefully they realize that Pentax has a better name than Ricoh in the camera business...at least I think they do.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Impossible to say for sure, but it seems to be more likely good news. Ricoh's core business can use Pentax Imaging more than Hoya's. Ricoh is larger than Hoya. Ricoh knows how to compete - it took on Canon directly in copiers and did extremely well against them. And it has a large distribution network.

A possible bad outcome: Pentax was just bought for the Intellectual property only, not the brand, and everything gets rebranded "Ricoh", and slowly undergoes.... a Sea Change. Sort of the Minolta-->Sony pattern, but worse.
06-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Well, there should be a synergy between the electronics/programming of Ricoh compact cameras with Pentax DSLR cameras. The overall cost of the programming/electronics effort can now be supported by a larger fleet of cameras, i think.

Hoya probably kept the Pentax brand name to benefit their sales of medical equipment. I'm not sure the Pentax name has much recognition among the younger generations so that may not be much of a loss. It is nice that Ricoh has gone up against Canon before with their copiers. This is probably why Pentax has not announced any new camera lenses for the future, perhaps waiting for subsequent meetings with their new owners.
06-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #37
Veteran Member

now Adam shall sell the forum to Ricoh Forum • Portal

06-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonder if Ricoh will do something similar to the Toyota/Lexus thing and market the Pentax lineup under the Pentax brand name as the Premiun/High-End and retain the Ricoh name for the 'entry level' market whilst leveraging the IP/Tech from the Pentax Imaging business.

The medium-format stuff alluded to would compliment their existing document-archiving activities, so I see that definitely done under the Ricoh banner...
07-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #39
Veteran Member

It is Confirmed!!!! Hoya Sells Pentax to Ricoh.
Official: Ricoh set to acquire Pentax camera brand and business, get serious about digital imaging -- Engadget
07-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #40
Pentaxian

How about we immediately start a new thread for K system requests to Ricoh?

I donŽt know enough about their camera philosophy to judge what will happen, but I hope they will be smart enough to develop the lens lineup. Hoya did some good things for the camera lineup but pretty much left the lens lineup to rot. WeŽll just have to wait and see. TBH, IŽm surprised by the sale, as Pentax is more profitable under Hoya and they could have built up the business more (made more money) and then sold it on later.
07-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Hoya Letter

Its official Then.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Hoya Letter.pdf (71.1 KB, 326 views)
07-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I smell the sweet smell of employee discount!!
07-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Full Frame Anyone?
07-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #44
Veteran Member

So that fact that old Ricoh lenses get stuck on Pentax autofocus bodies is kind of ironic...
07-01-2011, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

I guess the theme song " Stuck on you" will be nice during the deal.