07-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. B Quote
it would be silly to change it.
There's nothing silly for the company which produced GXR

07-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the plus side, we may be able to buy Tokina lenses again.

Maybe.
07-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #63
Veteran Member

check this: Ricoh to acquire HOYA's PENTAX Imaging Systems Business / News Release | Ricoh Global
QuoteQuote:
On completion of the Acquisition, Ricoh will begin to use the PENTAX brand name for some of its digital camera products, and HOYA will continue to use the PENTAX brand name for their endoscopes and other products.

Furthermore, with the Acquisition, both companies will cooperate with each other to increase the value of the PENTAX brand.
And in the PDF linked on the same page:
QuoteQuote:
3. Strategic objectives for Ricoh

The goal of the Acquisition is to establish a firmer presence in the consumer business, which has been a considerable challenge for Ricoh.

Ricoh believes that the borderline between office and home will fade and this will be reflected in a major change in products and services. Ricoh aims to provide more consumer–oriented offerings not only in the field of digital cameras but also video conferencing systems, network appliances, and others, to their customers around the world. The Acquisition is the first step in this direction.

Ricoh intends to maximize the synergy from the merger between Ricoh’s digital camera business and PENTAX Imaging System Business in various ways.
1) Strengthening the digital camera business
* Enhanced interchangeable-lens cameras to meet expected future growth
* Expansion of product lineup and interchangeable lens portfolio

2) Creation of new business delivering added value to consumers
* Creation and development of value-added businesses such as making it easy to view, save and retouch photos.

3) Other benefits
* Possible entry into the image archiving business using medium format digital cameras
* Expansion of security related products
Wim

PS: also posted this to the poll thread.
07-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Interesting read here: 2011/07/01 15:21 - Ricoh To Buy Pentax Brand From Hoya

"Ricoh is involved in fierce price competition in the compact digital camera market, which is placing downward pressure on midsize makers' profits. The move by Ricoh could trigger a major industry realignment."

"Ricoh decided in late May to slash 10,000 jobs, or 10% of its workforce, over three years. Sales of mainstay office equipment have slowed, prompting the firm to diversify its earnings base by enhancing its lineup of consumer products. Ricoh's digital camera business remains unprofitable, but the firm believes it could grow using Hoya's sales channels in the U.S. and Europe, and by increasing sales in emerging countries."

"While its digital camera division was in the red in 2008, Ricoh's efforts to restructure, such as moving production bases overseas and reducing the number of models, helped the division swing into the black. However, Ricoh has decided to focus on more profitable businesses such as medical equipment. The Camera & Imaging Products Association estimates that overall shipments of digital cameras in 2011 will grow 7% on the year to a record high of 131 million units. However, shipments of compact digital cameras are projected to rise just 6% in an increasingly competitive sector. "

07-01-2011, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #65

hell.. i know soon or later this is gonna happen
07-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #66
Veteran Member

LOL full circle.

My first K-mount camera MANY years ago was a Ricoh XR2s. Still have it. Built like a tank.

I wonder what this will do for distribution arrangements in some markets like Australia. In Australia CRK are the exclusive Pentax distributor, but Ricoh in Australia have their own direct local subsidiaries.

EDIT: actually Ricoh cameras in AU are distributed by Tasco Pty Ltd, who have exclusive distribution rights in Oz for Ricoh cameras.

Last edited by rawr; 07-01-2011 at 01:27 AM.
07-01-2011, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #67
Inactive Account

I, for one, welcome our new overlords!

07-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #68
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ricoh.pentax Quote
hell.. i know soon or later this is gonna happen
the hell . you the new "prophet". do tell us what good products from this? ff body? new lenses?
07-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Don't care what its called as long as the K Mount survives.
07-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by abgsiddiq Quote
the hell . you the new "prophet". do tell us what good products from this? ff body? new lenses?
i wanna tell you .. but then it will make other brands tremble in fear.. .. i cant let it happen... yet
07-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My first K-mount camera MANY years ago was a Ricoh XR2s. Still have it. Built like a tank.
+1. My first K-mount camera was a very nice Ricoh XR-1s. Very well built and good controls (I still remember that the film wind lever needs to be flipped out for the meter to work )
07-01-2011, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #72

Original Poster
Something funny happening - my old Ricoh GX100 just started making much better photos!
07-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #73
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ricoh.pentax Quote
i wanna tell you .. but then it will make other brands tremble in fear.. .. i cant let it happen... yet
good news! post it once it is possible
07-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
Don't care what its called as long as the K Mount survives.
I agree On the other hand, it would be kinda cool to have a Ricoh DSLR
07-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Ricoh brought out the GXR.

I can't think of a goofier camera system in the digital age.
I can: Q.