Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, this is just speculation. But looking at the various bits and pieces, Ricoh grabbed Pentax because its current product lineup just isn't creating the profits, and it sees interchangeable lens systems as a way up the profit food chain. You'd have to suspect that this might be a good thing for us DSLR lot, as we all know that there are some fairly obvious holes waiting to be filled in the lens lineup.

At the smaller end though, there does seem to be a bit of duplication (ie Q vs. GXR) so you'd also have to suspect that some lines will surely end up disappearing over time. Which makes a fair amount of sense. If their marketing department is switched on, I'd love to see some sort of statement from Ricoh reassuring consumers about the roadmap and overall strategic direction.

I'm intrigued by this "digital camera module" division that's been retained by Hoya. Anyone know what that's about?

Last edited by Nass; 07-01-2011 at 01:39 AM.
07-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #77
Veteran Member

I predict a bloodbath in the compact camera end of both businesses. That's the main place where there are too many overlaps.
07-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Yep
07-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I'm intrigued by this "digital camera module" division that's been retained by Hoya. Anyone know what that's about?
Think camera modules which are built into mobile phones etc.

07-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #80
Forum Member

My first SLR was a Ricoh XR-M. I've still got it and if they had made the same camera into a digital, I'd be still using it. I use the lenses now on my K10D.

If Ricoh want to buy Pentax, then they must be serious about re-entering the SLR market because there's not a lot Pentax has in point & shoot.

I'm very positive about it.
07-01-2011, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #81
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One unprofitable company buys other unprofitable company to be profitable...
Interesting movie...
07-01-2011, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, they seem to be keeping Pentax as the brand name. And as long as K-mount continues, I don't much care who owns what. Ricoh does seem like a better match than Hoya, though.

07-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #83
Krg

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
... I'm intrigued by this "digital camera module" division that's been retained by Hoya. Anyone know what that's about?
DCM SBU?PENTAX

Last edited by Krg; 07-01-2011 at 02:06 AM.
07-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #84
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Well, they seem to be keeping Pentax as the brand name. And as long as K-mount continues, I don't much care who owns what. Ricoh does seem like a better match than Hoya, though.
Hoya and Pentax mergered. Ricoh buys Pentax.
There is a difference. Don't you think?
07-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #85

Branding thoughts...

a) Ricoh-Pentax or Pentax-Ricoh for DSLRs (like Konica-Minolta)
b) Ricoh for compacts (no point in in 2 lines of compacts)

I think its a better fit than Hoya and will be good for the Pentax brand
07-01-2011, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #86

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/16/hoya-china-idUKL3E7HG15720110616

QuoteQuote:
Hoya Corp , the world's second largest maker of optical glass used in cameras, said on Thursday it would open its first furnaces overseas by the end of the year, diversifying production away from Japan, where power shortages loom.

The firm, which competes with market leader Ohara Inc , will open a plant in Weihai in China, hoping to take advantage of burgeoning demand for cameras in China, and easier access to raw materials including rare earth lanthanum, a company spokeswoman said.

The plant is set to begin operations in December. Hoya said the cost of the factory is yet to be determined.
Do Hoya need the capital for this?

Last edited by CypherOz; 07-01-2011 at 02:22 AM.
07-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by CypherOz Quote
Branding thoughts...

I think its a better fit than Hoya and will be good for the Pentax brand
RICOH PENTAX for sure
07-01-2011, 02:10 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I think this is cool. Ricoh has a rich heritage of camera making, they know what's up, and even though the GXR may or may not be a marketplace failure, it shows they are willing to innovate and put money into niche products which is what Pentax needs, and has been attempting lately. The GXR, 645D and Q systems all try to carve out a niche where the tentacles of the big guys have not yet reached, which really is Pentax' only hope for survival in the long run.

I don't think they would dilute the brand like that. No one has cared about Ricoh SLR cameras since 1990 or so, while Pentax is getting more and more street cred by the day with the K-5 and 645D being successes. Ricoh made good SLR cameras back in the day but they were never up there playing with the big boys (Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus)

I think that the APS-C SLR camera line is still going to be plain Pentax. The GXR system will be Ricoh but I'm about 100% certain this means a K mount module for GXR will surface, with AF and AE and whatnot. (At least if they can fit an autofocus motor into the li'l module, I don't know how that works) Which is pretty cool, and essentially means an instant K-mount mirrorless solution.

Possibly! Certainly the Optio series has failed to make an impression on the market in the last several years while the Ricoh lines (especially the GR) enjoys a good reputation in enthusiast circles, so yeah, possibly. No one really cares about Pentax' point-n-shoots.
07-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #89
Banned

wow this is a surprise since I didn't think that Ricoh would be in for it! Could be also good news when there is a growt strategy!
07-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Having read the news I was at first cautiously optimistic. Perhaps this could mean a new commitment for good new lenses, more MF products, perhaps 35mm FF in some form.

But then somebody here or on the other forum commented the Q turd had to have Ricoh's approval and I realized that was true. Such an announcement in the last days of negotiations and release just before the deal taking effect is 100% certain to have Ricoh's approval. And what does it tell us that they want products such as GXR and Q? Not very promising IMO.