Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #91
TZH

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't wait to see whats going on after this ~

07-01-2011, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a konica + minolta death story. It's kind of sad such a history and intellectual property warehouse amounts to only $124 million dollars.

Ricoh is probably the ideal company to get Pentax though. Small well constructed photographer's tools seem to be something they have in common. I'll just pretend the GXR system never existed though. Hopefully Ricoh will do the same and further the Q-mount system moving forward. I'll just assume the Q-mount specification can handle larger sensors eventually.

Maybe we will see a new major player in APS-C and FF DSLRs. I just hope the tools are top notch and better than what I have now.

...wait:

Ricoh to acquire HOYA's PENTAX Imaging Systems Business / News Release | Ricoh Global

"On completion of the Acquisition, Ricoh will begin to use the PENTAX brand name for some
of its digital camera products, and HOYA will continue to use the PENTAX brand name for
their endoscopes and other products.
Furthermore, with the Acquisition, both companies will cooperate with each other to
increase the value of the PENTAX brand."

So it looks like they will use the Pentax name at least.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 07-01-2011 at 02:48 AM.
07-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #93
TZH

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
On the plus side, we may be able to buy Tokina lenses again.

Maybe.
Sounds great !
07-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Asahiflex, Krg

07-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #95
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Ricoh is probably the ideal company to get Pentax though. Small well constructed photographer's tools seem to be something they have in common.
Also in common is not having much market share .

QuoteQuote:
I'll just pretend the GXR system never existed though. Hopefully Ricoh will do the same
That's extreme wishful thinking, I think they aren't giving it up.

QuoteQuote:
and further the Q-mount system moving forward. I'll just assume the Q-mount specification can handle larger sensors eventually.
That's also wishful thinking, the most it can do is probably 1/1.7''.

I think this is pretty bad news, as Ricoh doesn't really bring anything to the table for K-mount DSLRs, while with Ricoh Pentax will no longer develop a larger-sensored EVIL system as Ricoh already has the GXR.
07-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #96

QuoteQuote:
Strategic objectives for Ricoh
The goal of the Acquisition is to establish a firmer presence in the consumer business, which has been a considerable challenge for Ricoh.

Ricoh believes that the borderline between office and home will fade and this will be reflected in a major change in products and services. Ricoh aims to provide more consumer–oriented offerings not only in the field of digital cameras but also video conferencing systems, network appliances, and others, to their customers around the world. The Acquisition is the first step in this direction.

Ricoh intends to maximize the synergy from the merger between Ricoh’s digital camera business and PENTAX Imaging System Business in various ways.
1) Strengthening the digital camera business
- Enhanced interchangeable-lens cameras to meet expected future growth
- Expansion of product lineup and interchangeable lens portfolio

2) Creation of new business delivering added value to consumers
- Creation and development of value-added businesses such as making it easy to view, save and retouch photos.

3) Other benefits
- Possible entry into the image archiving business using medium format digital cameras
- Expansion of security related products
Sounds good
07-01-2011, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
And what does it tell us that they want products such as GXR and Q?
It tells us that they're not ready to become completely dominated and utterly slaughtered by attempting to compete head-on with Canon and Nikon in the full-frame DSLR and point-n-shoot markets. When you're a small player in digital cameras, you either run a successful company that creates niche products (Pentax, Ricoh, Leica,) or you run a company that doesn't exist. Those are the options.

07-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Well, if the future of Ricoh-Pentax is GXR/Q or nothing, I prefer the latter.
07-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I just had a look to their firmware update pages, and man they are at another level altogether!

No vague sentence leaving you wondering what were the changes, no silent firmwares...
If that's the only change we will see, it will already be good!
07-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i have to say that i'm sceptical about it. I agree that both Hoya and Ricoh need to keep the Pentax brand because it's a well known brand (in medic and photo). Pentax and Ricoh can found mutual asset in each other : Pentax bring the knowledge in APS-C to Ricoh, and Ricoh bring some knowledge in compact. Moreover, Ricoh tech in other sector (printers, etc ...) can be usefull for photo (maybe ?) But Ricoh, seems to not be in such a good shape (maybe i'm wrong), and whatever positive they have to offer to the Pentax brand, i still remain sceptical about it.
07-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Hmm.
I think maybe this could be good...
But it probably isn't. Sigh.

(And y'know, the Q is just as silly and overpriced and unnecessary as the GRX.)
07-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #102
Inactive Account

I'll dream and hope for a FF sensor to put the Ltd's on...
No i dont care about Canikon FF.

I'll stay Pentax, FF or no FF, Ricoh/Pentax or Volvo/Pentax doesnt matter
07-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I'll stay Pentax, FF or no FF, Ricoh/Pentax or Volvo/Pentax doesnt matter
Volvo/Pentax would be perfect for me! I currently have as many Volvo bodies as Pentax bodies
07-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #104
Veteran Member

I'm not really familiar with Ricoh, never heard of them before I started visiting these forums, and even then I just thought they were some small company that used to make k-mount lenses in the past!

I hope that they didn't just buy Pentax for the Intellectual Property and actually improve on the products. I don't care what they will be called, Pentax, Ricoh, Ricoh-Pentax it doesn't matter.I just hope that they support and grow the current Pentax system. So I will be optimistic for this, here's to hoping for more lenses, more support and hopefully a full frame body!
07-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #105
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I've been working for Ricoh for the past 6 years. They have the habit of buying brands for technology, and then sticking their own logos on it.

I seriously dislike the idea of a disappearing Pentax brand.
Well, you can't buy Minolta cameras and lenses either but the A-mount lives on. I think this is the most important thing.