Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

Ricoh at KEH ?

I just looked at KEH and found "Ricoh" gear isn't worth catagorizing.

Camera Store - Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras - Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

Do tell, what is Ricoh's rich heritage of camera making ?

Hoya bought out Pentax Corporation for 1 Billion US and sold off just the cameras division for $124 million US just four years later.

In 2010 Pentax has 1.5% cameras marketshare and Ricoh has less than 1%.

Pentax cameras division has sold off twice in 4 years.

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I think this is cool. Ricoh has a rich heritage of camera making, they know what's up, and even though the GXR may or may not be a marketplace failure, it shows they are willing to innovate and put money into niche products which is what Pentax needs, and has been attempting lately. The GXR, 645D and Q systems all try to carve out a niche where the tentacles of the big guys have not yet reached, which really is Pentax' only hope for survival in the long run.

I don't think they would dilute the brand like that. No one has cared about Ricoh SLR cameras since 1990 or so, while Pentax is getting more and more street cred by the day with the K-5 and 645D being successes. Ricoh made good SLR cameras back in the day but they were never up there playing with the big boys (Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus)

I think that the APS-C SLR camera line is still going to be plain Pentax. The GXR system will be Ricoh but I'm about 100% certain this means a K mount module for GXR will surface, with AF and AE and whatnot. (At least if they can fit an autofocus motor into the li'l module, I don't know how that works) Which is pretty cool, and essentially means an instant K-mount mirrorless solution.

Possibly! Certainly the Optio series has failed to make an impression on the market in the last several years while the Ricoh lines (especially the GR) enjoys a good reputation in enthusiast circles, so yeah, possibly. No one really cares about Pentax' point-n-shoots.

07-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #107
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yakim Quote
Well, you can't buy Minolta cameras and lenses either but the A-mount lives on. I think this is the most important thing.
Mount is alive, but lenses are not Minolta design and cameras are not Minolta's ideas. It's another history.
07-01-2011, 04:17 AM   #108
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

I think it's not above 0.1%
07-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Ill play devils advocate here....as much as people are hoping that the take over is good news for Pentax { i hope their right}...lets say it isnt!!...what signs will we see if its bad news for pentax...and what will it take { as far as nails in the coffin go} for you to quit the brand before the ships sinks..leaving your lenses high and dry......as I say...lets hope it doesn't come to that...but as far as I can see there's a lot of what ifs...in pentax's future!!...

on the name change...I doubt Id pay 125 million for a well known brand..only to strip its name and put the parents relatively unknown brand...even years ago Ricoh was known for budget cheap cameras...not really a rich heritage as Pentax have

07-01-2011, 04:20 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think it's not above 0.1%
I think the fact that Ricoh has a lower market share than Pentax works for Pentax, this is in terms of keeping the name, the system and is less likely that they will just take the IP and let Pentax die as it has better name recognition and a greater market share.
07-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #111
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Mount is alive, but lenses are not Minolta design and cameras are not Minolta's ideas. It's another history.
Indeed, the course has changed but it has not come to a dead-end.

Just trying to see the cup as half-full.
07-01-2011, 04:38 AM   #112
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Exciting news! Here come the Pentax GRDIV!
...and maybe a K module for the GXR?
Oooo that could actually be quite cool

07-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Camera Store - Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras - Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

Hoya bought out Pentax Corporation for 1 Billion US and sold off just the cameras division for $124 million US just four years later.

Pentax cameras division has sold off twice in 4 years.
Pentax camera division has always been an after thought. Losing money before the purchase -- now finally making some money. Hoya always made it clear that they bought Pentax for the medical supply division.

I do hope that Ricoh gets to continue using the Pentax name for cameras. However since Hoya has kept the Pentax medical division, I am somewhat doubtful.

Overall, nothing else particularly negative about his sale. Ricoh is specifically buying the camera division (unlike when Hoya bought Pentax), meaning that they actually are going to dedicate resources to growing it. In particular, if they are willing to market some of the existing cameras, they could really grow things from where they stand now.
07-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Ricoh - Camerapedia

Are we seriously even arguing this?
07-01-2011, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #115
Inactive Account

I think this is quite exciting news and the strategies that RICOH have outlined look to be exactly what Pentax needs.
Anyway should be market leader in Binoculars at least!!!
07-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #116
Veteran Member

After reading everything in the press release, I believe Hoya is forming a new Company (NewCo) who will included the asset and intellectual property of Pentax imaging system.
They will then split NewCo in two, the first part is Pentgax medical system who will be integrated into Hoya business and probably use the name Hoya in the future,
THen the rest of the company will move to Ricoh including the Pentax name
07-01-2011, 04:58 AM - 2 Likes   #117
Veteran Member

Well, I'm just going to keep an open mind and continue to enjoy my Pentax gear. Even if this ends in disaster, my K100DS, K-x and K5 will continue to take great photos and life goes on
07-01-2011, 05:08 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a konica + minolta death story. It's kind of sad such a history and intellectual property warehouse amounts to only $124 million dollars.

Ricoh is probably the ideal company to get Pentax though. Small well constructed photographer's tools seem to be something they have in common. I'll just pretend the GXR system never existed though. Hopefully Ricoh will do the same and further the Q-mount system moving forward. I'll just assume the Q-mount specification can handle larger sensors eventually.

Maybe we will see a new major player in APS-C and FF DSLRs. I just hope the tools are top notch and better than what I have now.

...wait:

Ricoh to acquire HOYA's PENTAX Imaging Systems Business / News Release | Ricoh Global

"On completion of the Acquisition, Ricoh will begin to use the PENTAX brand name for some
of its digital camera products, and HOYA will continue to use the PENTAX brand name for
their endoscopes and other products.
Furthermore, with the Acquisition, both companies will cooperate with each other to
increase the value of the PENTAX brand."

So it looks like they will use the Pentax name at least.
That's good news and makes me more hopeful that this is a positive step.
07-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #119

'Rich' might be slightly over-egging things a bit but at least they do have one, and a history of inovative products, having been making cameras since the 1930s, which is more than can be said for Hoya, or, indeed, Samsung
07-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #120
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Well, I'm just going to keep an open mind and continue to enjoy my Pentax gear. Even if this ends in disaster, my K100DS, K-x and K5 will continue to take great photos and life goes on
Agreed! Everyone should keep an open mind, if it goes to hell.... well then, thats that. Its only about material stuff, tools to take pictures with. If it goes well, and just maybe even better that now, thats good!

Remember, Pentax is a small actor in this industry, we should always keep in mind that nothing lasts forever and that changes will come. Im pretty sure that i'll move to another brand someday, depending on how sensor development goes and if APS-C will someday end for FF. My FA Limiteds will look really fancy on a shelf, or pay the move to another brand

Im hoping Ricoh will recognize the Limiteds, both FA and DA, and keep them in mind for the future, FF or not.....