Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
what about you?
No way, dude.

07-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ricoh is EMPTY PLACE at photo market. New direction could be the death of K-mount.
Man, I would hate to live life as you do. No new product is good enough, all news is bad news, every new development will lead inevitably to disaster. IMO you should be banned, you've become the resident troll.
07-01-2011, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quotes from Ricoh statement:

"Now Ricoh aims to establish a consumer business."

Does it sound good for K5 and 645D?
Yes. You have to look at this from Ricoh's perspective - they sell copier and office automation products to businesses. To them consumer means anyone not a business, and that can mean photo novices, photo enthusiasts, and even pros.
07-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #184
Veteran Member

This is probably good. Ricoh purchased Pentax for interchangeable lenses and DSLRs (they already manufacture digicams - even a weatherproof model). So fear-mongering from Ogl that this will hurt or cannibalize the K5 and 645 track doesn't make much sense.

07-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #185

My first SLR was a Sears TLS which was a rebranded Ricoh Singlex

Ricoh Singlex TLS - Camerapedia
07-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Now I know, history is history, but the truth is that Ricoh is a stronger company than Hoya, has a long history in photographic products, enjoyed a collaborative development relationship with Pentax during the early days of the K-mount (both lenses and body), and is probably thrilled to have acquired the marque. Some people here would have been thrilled if the purchase had been by Leitz or <insert famous camera name here>, but get real. Leitz is even weaker than Pentax. At least the new owner is not Samyang.

Steve
Good points. JVC was once considered a leading contender to acquire Pentax. I am thrilled that Pentax didn't go to an electronics company. Ricoh is a camera company, and it sounds like they will continue the Pentax legacy, rather than bury it as Sony did to Minolta.
07-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
K-5 is a consumer camera. 645D is niche, which Ricoh already panders to with the GXR. I doubt much will change.
Exactly on the K5.

A Kmount module GXR for would be fantastic. I would definitely purchase one.

07-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #188
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's probably just the differentiation between b2b and b2c. Describing 645d and K-series as consumer isn't derogatory, it's accurate.
07-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Exactly on the K5.

A Kmount module GXR for would be fantastic. I would definitely purchase one.
stanleyk - what do you envision that would look like - an APS-C module with a K-mount? That sort of defies one of the GXR's features - fully encased and dust proof.
07-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First of all, while there may be a direction change, it won't occur over night. Whatever products are in the pipeline will probably come on through and Ricoh would be foolish to do away with existing (good selling) lines, such as the K5 and 645D. If there are any changes other than layoffs to redundant employees, they certainly won't show up for a year or so.

Truthfully, one of the biggest things I hope for is an elimination of the thick shroud of secrecy that has been maintained around Pentax's vision since Hoya took over. I think it is generally helpful to know what new lenses in particular are being worked on.
07-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #191
Banned

Quotes from Ricoh statement:

"Now Ricoh aims to establish a consumer business."

Does it sound good for K5 and 645D?
Well maybe they aim at a larger sale of numbers and we can purchase 645D in europe for 7.000 euro! That would be great.
07-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #192
Veteran Member

Wish they had more a presence in local stores, but Ricoh has a always had a fairly unique take on P&S cams for photographers. Back in the film days, their old GR-1 was one of the best P&S cams w/ a fast good lens.
Seems quite a complementary purchase...surprised their wallets were big enough for the gamble.

Hopefully, they'll keep the Pentax name for the DSLR/MF line though. Ricoh K mount sounds weird...
07-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #193

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
ogl, do you ever get tired of yourself?
Damn, I agree.
07-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
stanleyk - what do you envision that would look like - an APS-C module with a K-mount? That sort of defies one of the GXR's features - fully encased and dust proof.
You probably didn't watch the video I posted earlier. It would be no great challenge for Ricoh to develop a weather-resistant K-mount module.
07-01-2011, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #195
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Truthfully, one of the biggest things I hope for is an elimination of the thick shroud of secrecy that has been maintained around Pentax's vision since Hoya took over.
Vision? There was no Pentax "vision" because Hoya had no vision for the brand, other than to keep it afloat long enough to sell off anyway. I guess in that they succeeded. Oh well.

Here's hoping that Ricoh realizes that they've bought much more than a simple camera company. They've bought generations of strangely stubborn loyal customers.

Please don't let us down Ricoh!

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-01-2011 at 08:20 AM.