Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #196
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
^^

Lastly, whilst we're all dissing Hoya, I think it's worth remembering that in their very short ownership they've come out with some models that do seem to have worked rather well. Would Pentax actually have survived had Hoya not bought it?
This is a matter of is the glass half full or half empty? They may have kept the brand alive and produced some good recent cameras, but so much was left on the table. Their lens line-up was neglected as just one example and marketing was close to non-existent. Who knows what could have been? Hopefully Ricoh will see the potential and think longer term when making decisions.

07-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #197

Ricoh does make digital cameras already. The only two reasons buying pentax is the name and their k-mount(customers).

They basically have a k-mount history to build on, so for me it sounds great and makes sense
07-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KLSMpls Quote
I'll have to wait for my Japanese Rosetta Stone to arrive I guess.

Google translate at least gives an impression : Japanese Rosetta Stone alternative
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You probably didn't watch the video I posted earlier. It would be no great challenge for Ricoh to develop a weather-resistant K-mount module.
That a good idea, might buy it in a Kmount?

This was at PMA Sydney last weekend.... I saw it.... but nobody noticed because Ricoh had a small stand right up the back corner. Pentax had a small glass case at CRKennedy. Nikon had a car standing on its end. Panasonic had a "forest" in the middle of their stand. Canon stand was unnecessarily huge (just like their cameras).

I hope Ricoh and Pentax dont just combine their marketting departments. we wont se any difference.

07-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #200
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote

Google translate at least gives an impression : Japanese Rosetta Stone alternative
Thanks. Doesn't work real well, but learned something new!
07-01-2011, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #201
Veteran Member

Let's welcome our new overlords with a collection of Ricoh photos!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/15044...ml#post1564135
07-01-2011, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #202
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I absolutely need from the new Ricoh/Pentax:

1) Solidly built, reliable DSLRs at least equal in all respects to the current lineup.
2) The same backwards-compatible K-mount. This is the main reason I went with Pentax in the first place.

What I would like to see from the new Ricoh/Pentax:

1) A little advertising so people at least know they exist.
2) A few stores in the US where you can actually walk in, pick up and check out, and buy their stuff.
3) More of the non-limited lenses, particularly in the over 300mm selection.

What I don't care about:

1) FF. If I wanted a Nikon or Canon, I'd have bought one. Besides, since I shoot a lot of nature stuff with tele lenses, I consider the 1.6x crop factor a plus.
2) Funky colors.
3) What brand they slap on their cameras.

Ricoh has made some very good cameras in the past. I had friends in the 1980s with Ricoh SLRs I would've been proud to own. But just because a company once was a good one, doesn't mean they always will be. Let's hope the folks at Ricoh are smart enough to realize the opportunity they have, and to at the very least, keep a good thing going.

07-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #203

Well I for one am excited because we all love Pentax but we see where it is failing in terms of retail marketing and limited resources, so the aquisition can only be positive since Ricoh must see the potential there and Hoya wanted to part with it.
07-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #204
Forum Member

I just think, how Q launch influenced Ricoh acquisition of Pentax.
Such negotiation probably started before Q-launch. I can imagine that Ricoh could require not to launch it if Q doesn't fit in their strategy and sell entire Q development/product to somebody...
07-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #205
Veteran Member

As long as it keeps Pentax in business, then fine with me. BTW Ricoh is IMHO, a very creative camera company; witness the GRX.
07-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Having read the news I was at first cautiously optimistic. Perhaps this could mean a new commitment for good new lenses, more MF products, perhaps 35mm FF in some form.

But then somebody here or on the other forum commented the Q turd had to have Ricoh's approval and I realized that was true. Such an announcement in the last days of negotiations and release just before the deal taking effect is 100% certain to have Ricoh's approval. And what does it tell us that they want products such as GXR and Q? Not very promising IMO.

I have not seen any evidence or official statements to this effect. 'Q' was in development for 5 years, waiting for a small sensor to appear that passed an arbitrary performance threshold.

I doubt Ricoh had any affect on the 'Q' or 645D resurrection at all, outside of an implicit approval after the fact - illustrated by their purchase of the company.

I have worked at companies that have been bought, and sometimes the bright new idea gets shelved immediately after purchase. (In this case, let's hope the 'Q' is the odd man out in the 5-year Ricoh-Pentax product roadmap.)

07-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #207
Veteran Member

What got me about that first article was the supposed sales figure for last year and the 10th place bit. I thought Pentax was in like 3rd or 4th place behind Canikon and 13% down with all the success of the K-x/K-7? Those figures being down really surprised me. I thought Pentax was doing better, not worse.

I guess it's okay if Ricoh buys them. At least they have a history of sorts for working together and Ricoh might put more into marketing than Hoya, I hope. I'm glad they're keeping the Pentax name though. I would miss that if it vanished.
07-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #208
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
What I absolutely need from the new Ricoh/Pentax:

1) Solidly built, reliable DSLRs at least equal in all respects to the current lineup.
2) The same backwards-compatible K-mount. This is the main reason I went with Pentax in the first place.

What I would like to see from the new Ricoh/Pentax:

1) A little advertising so people at least know they exist.
2) A few stores in the US where you can actually walk in, pick up and check out, and buy their stuff.
3) More of the non-limited lenses, particularly in the over 300mm selection.

What I don't care about:

1) FF. If I wanted a Nikon or Canon, I'd have bought one. Besides, since I shoot a lot of nature stuff with tele lenses, I consider the 1.6x crop factor a plus.
2) Funky colors.
3) What brand they slap on their cameras.

Ricoh has made some very good cameras in the past. I had friends in the 1980s with Ricoh SLRs I would've been proud to own. But just because a company once was a good one, doesn't mean they always will be. Let's hope the folks at Ricoh are smart enough to realize the opportunity they have, and to at the very least, keep a good thing going.

I fully agree on the stuff you "care" about. More fast teles would be great, a 300/2.8 for example.

Slightly disagree on the stuff you "dont care" about. I do wish for a full frame. I shoot weddings and other events, and there is something about the DOF that a FF produces that just can't be matched with a crop. I'll agree with you that for nature photogs a FF doesn't always make sense, but for a lot of other people they do.

As for the branding, I agree with the many other posters on here that have suggested that Pentax has better name recognition than Ricoh. If that leads to better marketing and sales, which in turn leads to better R&D..... then, I do care about the brand they slap on the camera. However, they have to play their cards right to make that happen. If Pentax/Ricoh continues their tradition of terrible marketing, then, it's all for naught anyway.

Let's hope for the best!
07-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #209
Veteran Member

A mildly humorous bit of this transfer of ownership to me is that there's a Ricoh store about 2 blocks from my work.If they really start ending up putting Pentax products on their floor, I may have a new place to visit during my lunch!
07-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I doubt Ricoh had any affect on the 'Q' or 645D resurrection at all, outside of an implicit approval after the fact - illustrated by their purchase of the company.
Sorry, but I don't buy that. If you're buying a house and have negotiated the deal for some time, the seller hardly makes significant changes to the house two days before signing the contract without your approval.