Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #301
Veteran Member

This looks like an excellent thing for both Pentax and Ricoh.

Ricoh has had a great tradition with compact 35mm film cameras with the GR1s which they successfully translated to digital with their GR digital cameras. What can now happen is Pentax can focus on DSLR's while Ricoh can capitalize on Pentax's expertise to advance a better compact line of cameras Ricoh already has going.

Ricoh looks to be the right company to take control of Pentax's compact line of cameras like the new Q and the Weatherproof P&S to integrate them into Ricoh's existing compact lines. This will free up Pentax to concentrate on DSLR bodies and lenses.

Ricoh has a huge sign in Times Square which reflects on the size of Ricoh as a company. There sign was the first all green energy sign on the Great White Way.

07-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems to me about a year ago some guy at Hoya (might have been the president) indicated that it would be necessary for Hoya to partner with another company in order to move Pentax Forward. Seems to me that what has happened today is the fulfilment of those words.
07-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #303
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
All I could find to somewhat guess Jun Hirakawa's age, is the fact that he got his first patent issued for one of his inventions in 1988. I assume he was no newby at the time to be listed as the principal inventor of what was probably a team at Pentax R&D? 1988, that's 23 years ago.

Perhaps we should ask Asahiflex what's the date the picture in his Avatar was taken (if he knows?). I understand that's an image of Jun Hirakawa himself. Could give us an idea how old he is...

The man is probably in his 60s at least, enjoying retirement and not wanting to go back to work at all. I know I wouldn't want to go back to work at that age, no matter good I might have been at my job...

Wim
He was born in 1962 making him about 49. He probably has a Ph.D.
07-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #304
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
So many posts where they didn't even bother to read Ricoh's press release:
http://www.ricoh.com/release/2011/pdf/0701.pdf

- They will continue to use the Pentax name.
- They bought Pentax to further Pentax's interchangeable systems lineup. Specifically saying they want to enhance and expand the lineup.
- They want to become a big player in the camera market (consumer meaning not big business).
- Use Pentax technologies to enter other markets. 645D image archiving business will need full featured tethering...

I'm pretty happy so far from what I've read. The CEO of Ricoh sounds smart and has an engineering background, which should be good for overall camera/lens quality.
Actually, yes and is says they will keep the name during current operations. It is unclear what name will be used after Oct 1. Hoya is creating a corp called NewCo to transfer the Photography and Optics group to and then NewCo will be transferred to Ricoh on Oct 1.

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

or in more depth

http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/news/latest/d0h4dj0000001fv8-att/d0h4dj0000001fwi.pdf

Last edited by Blue; 07-01-2011 at 05:14 PM.
07-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #305
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
This looks like an excellent thing for both Pentax and Ricoh.

Ricoh has had a great tradition with compact 35mm film cameras with the GR1s which they successfully translated to digital with their GR digital cameras. What can now happen is Pentax can focus on DSLR's while Ricoh can capitalize on Pentax's expertise to advance a better compact line of cameras Ricoh already has going.

Ricoh looks to be the right company to take control of Pentax's compact line of cameras like the new Q and the Weatherproof P&S to integrate them into Ricoh's existing compact lines. This will free up Pentax to concentrate on DSLR bodies and lenses.

Ricoh has a huge sign in Times Square which reflects on the size of Ricoh as a company. There sign was the first all green energy sign on the Great White Way.
They had a good name in slr into the late 80s but the managed to drive there slr line into the toilet.
07-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They had a good name in slr into the late 80s but the managed to drive there slr line into the toilet.
And it is very very unlikely that the same people are in charge today at Ricoh. What they did to their own SLR line in the 80s, likely has nothing at all with what they could be capable of doing with Pentax.
07-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #307

I bet Ricoh's first move is release APS-C EVIL, which will make a big contrast to the q-system done in HOYA time.

07-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #308
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
And it is very very unlikely that the same people are in charge today at Ricoh. What they did to their own SLR line in the 80s, likely has nothing at all with what they could be capable of doing with Pentax.
It is hard to know what they are capable of at present. Maybe they will get back a few of the Pentax lens designers etc. and work with the stream lined structure and get some things done. This will play out one of 3 ways, really good, really bad, or a cluster flop of a strung out mess.
07-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #309
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think its certainly not the end of the world for existing users. Ricoh has no DSLR line and Pentax has already made some progress in that area over the past 4yrs. Given that Ricoh camera division was not really profitable before this, they could have as easily terminated business instead of buying Pentax, so it means they want a better share of the camera pie. The K-mount will survive for some time yet.

I'm sure Ricoh will make some moves to show existing user base that they are making moves to keep k-mount alive (road map? new lens launches reserved for after the take over? new systems?)

I'm just a bit disappointed and worried Pentax will lose some ground here (painfully gained over the 4yrs and esp. with Kx, K5, 645D) as new users won't dare to buy one and some existing users may be scared off.
Perhaps another 2years needed for the fog to clear and ppl to get confidence again.
Of course fewer new buyers can affect everyone significantly if it means Ricoh/Pentax becomes not profitable.
07-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #310
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I think its certainly not the end of the world for existing users. Ricoh has no DSLR line and Pentax has already made some progress in that area over the past 4yrs. Given that Ricoh camera division was not really profitable before this, they could have as easily terminated business instead of buying Pentax, so it means they want a better share of the camera pie. The K-mount will survive for some time yet.

I'm sure Ricoh will make some moves to show existing user base that they are making moves to keep k-mount alive (road map? new lens launches reserved for after the take over? new systems?)

I'm just a bit disappointed and worried Pentax will lose some ground here (painfully gained over the 4yrs and esp. with Kx, K5, 645D) as new users won't dare to buy one and some existing users may be scared off.
Perhaps another 2years needed for the fog to clear and ppl to get confidence again.
Of course fewer new buyers can affect everyone significantly if it means Ricoh/Pentax becomes not profitable.
In my view, Ricoh's first move should be to assure the current Pentax user base that we will not be orphaned and that the new Pentax will be producing high quality K mount cameras and lenses for us to use in the future. Without this assurance of continuity, I fear that many Pentaxians will either defer planned purchases or jump ship altogether. For Ricoh to do this just makes good business sense, as the DSLR is still a very viable format, and I cannot imagine that Ricoh acquired Pentax in order to dump it's most profitable line of products.

Are you listening, Ricoh? When you bought Pentax Imaging, you bought us users as well. But we are not really your property, and we can abandon you, if you abandon us. That would be bad for all parties concerned.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 07-02-2011 at 09:58 AM.
07-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #311
Veteran Member

Interesting. I wonder which name, Richoh or Pentax has the most street cred with the general population? Both niche manufacturers in the past 10 years or so. Long term this can only be good for Pentax. Hoya was aways going to be stop gap measure.
07-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #312
Inactive Account

OK just some totally uninformed gut feeling things on my part.

I think it is a good thing. Not only that an historically camera related camera company, Ricoh, bought Pentax but that at last Pentax has gotten out of the Hoya mess.

I agree with others that probably there will be two brands. One will be for the P&S and similar models and will be called RICOH.
I think that the other brand will be essentially DSLR related and will be called RICOH-PENTAX. This helps give credibility and advertisement to the parent name by associating it with their higher end products.
(When Konica acquired Minolta they became Konica-Minolta.)
Lenses may either be something like Ricohnon or Ricohon Pentax.

It looks good that a camera company apparently went after Pentax rather than Pentax being on the market for a while and finally getting some investment type buyer or one from an electronics giant for example.

To: Forum Administrator Adam
Please, whatever the name, keep Pentax as part of the forum name.

Note -
I will revisit these comments in a year or so and deny saying any of this if it turns out to be a disaster.
07-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #313
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Wim,

The picture was made about 5 years ago, he's holding a K10D with DA40 Limited. I believe he was in his late 40's then. He's definitely not in his 60's now. However, I don't know his exact age.
LOL. Asahiflex, I guess that I had always just assumed that was an image of you.
07-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #314

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I still see the need to upgrade the K10D in the near future, and thus far have resisted the Siren's Call that the Nikon D7000 is x$ less. I'll stick with them.

Unless they suddenly change their minds about retaining Pentax, and change the name to:
Ricontax. Too similar to Contax, and my brain could explode...
07-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #315
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Bennett Quote
Marketing as we all know is the problem. I wish an american company would have stepped in and bought them. (No offense to all my European and Asian friends.)
I don't share your opinion. As far as I can see, Pentax's US distributor is not doing a good job. I live in a small city in Northern Ontario Canada. There are two dealers in town where I can handle Pentax gear. I was visiting an even smaller city in Central Ontario with a population of 30,000, and there was a Pentax dealer. Large cities have several dealers. From chatting with American Pentax users, there isn't a single dealer in some large cities.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Bennett Quote
How about Pentax made right here. I'd pay 10-20% more. Somebody like a Kodak with a history in photography would make sense.
Manufacturing in the US? I doubt the penalty would be only 20%. Regarding quality, the car industry has given US manufacturing a black eye for decades now. Are any cameras manufactured in the US?