Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMHO, all parties saw a perfect fit and went with it. Purely a strategic business move which provides and discards synergies that will improve the profitability of all parties involved. To wit:

For Ricoh:
- They intend to strengthen their presence in the consumer market, so Pentax Camera Division provides them with the appropriate vehicle to do so.
- They need to diversify their production and marketing facilities out of Japan for risk control purposes (Japan is still suffering considerably from the tremendous earthquake. Power problems, etc...). Pentax provides them this opportunity as Pentax has their main assembly facilities in different S.E. Asian countries and has a better marketing network in main global markets for consumer products.
- They got Pentax Camera Division for a relatively cheap price since Hoya purchased Pentax primarily because of their interest in another business division (medical imaging/optics). Remember that Hoya is primarily an optics company more than a consumer camera maker.

For Hoya:
- They can now return to their initial focus and objective, which is the optics business. They keep what they wanted in the first place from Pentax, and get rid of what they considered as peripheral business. And they get a small return for it.

For Pentax Camera Division:
- Indications point to Pentax being retained and the brand and assembly/design facilities being the new flagship of Ricoh's consumer camera division. Ricoh can now close some of their Japan factories as Pentax's S.E. Asian factories provide site diversification lowering certain business risks.
- Ricoh has a greater capacity to grow Pentax brand as they can provide a bigger R&D and marketing budget than what Hoya could provide.
- Pentax marketing channels and distribution networks in main global markets will be maintained and enhanced to not only promote Pentax brand, but also the Ricoh consumer products brand. Ricoh purchased Pentax specifically to grow their push in consumer camera products. So it makes sense that they intend to retain the strengths of Pentax vis-avis their own present strengths.

Bottom line: I don't see anything negative for Pentax. In fact, this synergy may eventually mean lower prices for Pentax digital cameras and lenses, while assuring more advertising and marketing exposure in the near future.

Who knows, in a couple of months the K5 may be quite affordable to buy!!

07-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Originally posted by LaurenOE

I suppose the big gorilla in the room is what is Ricoh's relation to Sony?

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I haven't seen any follow up on this comment in a couple of pages of this forum. Lauren, can you elaborate?
I read elsewhere that Ricoh buys (has bought?) Sony sensors.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-01-2011 at 06:34 PM.
07-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #318
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After reading more about this, including some content from the press release I would have to say that at this stage it doesn't look good for the top end DSLR range.

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh believes that the borderline between office and home will fade and this will be reflected in a major change in products and services. Ricoh aims to provide more consumer–oriented offerings not only in the field of digital cameras but also video conferencing systems, network appliances, and others, to their customers around the world. The acquisition is the first step in this direction.
There is no mention anywhere of even maintaining the current DSLR cameras, never mind producing more. Forget about a FF here, it's not going to happen. And if Hoya are retaining the Pentax brand for their other optical products, then we will no longer have Pentax branded cameras.
So, do you want to own a Ricoh?
07-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
There is no mention anywhere of even maintaining the current DSLR cameras, never mind producing more. Forget about a FF here, it's not going to happen. And if Hoya are retaining the Pentax brand for their other optical products, then we will no longer have Pentax branded cameras.
So, do you want to own a Ricoh?
This is inconsistent with the Ricoh's press release:

QuoteQuote:
On completion of the Acquisition, Ricoh will begin to use the PENTAX brand name for some of its digital camera products, and HOYA will continue to use the PENTAX brand name for their endoscopes and other products.

The PENTAX lineup has a mutually complementary relationship and little overlap with the Ricoh brand, which focuses on high-end compact digital cameras.
It is unlikely that Ricoh will drop the PENTAX brand name, and it will probably retain the K mount, at a minimum. If you read the press release carefully, it should appear to you that Ricoh is trying to make better use of PENTAX assets—not dump them—in an attempt to compete in the consumer market.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-01-2011 at 07:04 PM.
07-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #320
Veteran Member

And if Hoya are retaining the Pentax brand for their other optical products, then we will no longer have Pentax branded cameras.
I think you are getting it wrong.

Pentax and Ricoh have agreed to share the Pentax brand - Hoya will get to keep the Pentax label on the medical endoscopes and stuff it sells, whilst Ricoh will get to use it on DSLR's, compacts, CCTV lenses, binoculars etc.

I wouldn't mind owning a Ricoh. I have owned Ricoh film and digital cameras in the past. It didn't kill me or make me a worse photographer.

Canon makes photocopiers too, remember.
07-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
A possible bad outcome: Pentax was just bought for the Intellectual property only, not the brand, and everything gets rebranded "Ricoh", and slowly undergoes.... a Sea Change. Sort of the Minolta-->Sony pattern, but worse.
Pentax has 50x the brand value in cameras than Ricoh. If anything, they bought the brand.
07-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, yes and is says they will keep the name during current operations. It is unclear what name will be used after Oct 1. Hoya is creating a corp called NewCo to transfer the Photography and Optics group to and then NewCo will be transferred to Ricoh on Oct 1.
It specifically says in the Ricoh release "Furthermore, with the Acquisition, both companies will cooperate with each other to increase the value of the PENTAX brand."

The Pentax brand is the name itself. "NewCo" is most likely legal speak they use in press releases.

07-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, the release specifically mentions Ricoh wanting a presence in the SLR biz.

A brand can be shared and often is, such as soft drink distribution.

The camera biz is increasingly a mass market, consumer product tied to electronics, in fact a handmaiden to the computer industry now. There is far less of a industrial optics tie-in.

The same distribution network for copiers and printers and other imaging systems can be used for camera products. these are relatively high turnover systems with sales forces, warehouses, inventory control, and warranty systems.

it appears to be a better fit than Hoya. Also, Japanese companies (and Pentax at is engineering and especially management core is Japanese) tend to transfer the entire management, marketing, and design teams with exchanges like this. They very rarely "clean house".

In fact, the release of the Q a this time says a lot. There is no way the Q was not released without Ricoh's saying yes. They would have distribution and warranty obligations to honour as part of the deal, so neither party would sandbag a major new mount release while there were lawyers across the table talking such stuff already. Again, a counter to any "cleaning house" suggestions.

Richo's not a bad company. They were known in the imaging biz for having an excellent sales force resolute on competing on price and service.
07-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #324
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Five things:

1. Ricoh buying Pentax means Ricoh is serious about getting into the camera business, and wants to invest to do so. Hoya selling Pentax means that they wanted to get out of the camera business, and wanted to keep Pentax mean and lean so they could sell it as an asset. Unless they nix the K mount, I see this as a good thing for Pentax users.

2. Ricoh and Pentax both have a history of making really great prime lenses.

3. The Q Mount makes more sense as a Ricoh GXR module than it did as a camera system. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them integrated somehow.

4. For all of you who have trashed the GXR system in this thread, I'm dubious that you've ever tried it. It packs a lot of imaging into a small package-- which is the same thing people have been having nerdgasms over the larger Fuji X100 for. Oh wait, can you change the sensor in that one? No I guess you can't. Must have been a terrible idea!

The only thing it really is lacking at the moment for the GXR is more modules and more distribution/publicity.

5. As an owner of both systems -- I'm glad to say I'm pretty well covered. Score!
Nice Points! (if you don't trademark 'nerdgasm' I will. Made me laugh ->rep points.)
07-01-2011, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #325
Veteran Member

To the doomsayers ... If Ricoh's intent is not to use the Pentax name and not to continue developing K-mount dSLRs, then what exactly did they pay $120 million for? The right to make Ricoh Optios?
07-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #326
Veteran Member

a new brand awareness? hardly, hoya and ricoh are red-headed step children. the new brand name "RicoPen". ha ha. RicoPen. RicoPenI, RicoPenII, RicoPen 500, RicoPen~Qz5p(Purple Hazed). ah well.
goodbye pentaxforum....hello ricohforum?
07-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #327
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
actually, i would love K-mount in GXR modules. Really really would want it
It is unreal with SR system.
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #328
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
My point was, when you consider the myriad of brands of cameras and include both DSLR and P&S & other compact sales the claim that Pentax is 10th makes sense.... SO WHAT?

In DSLR sales we rank 3rd or 4th... T

Mike
Only in your mind. Pentax is below Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic.
07-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #329
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't share your opinion. As far as I can see, Pentax's US distributor is not doing a good job. I live in a small city in Northern Ontario Canada. There are two dealers in town where I can handle Pentax gear. I was visiting an even smaller city in Central Ontario with a population of 30,000, and there was a Pentax dealer. Large cities have several dealers. From chatting with American Pentax users, there isn't a single dealer in some large cities.

Manufacturing in the US? I doubt the penalty would be only 20%. Regarding quality, the car industry has given US manufacturing a black eye for decades now. Are any cameras manufactured in the US?
1+ I am a proud American but I totally agree, this would be a disaster. Japan/Germany = Cameras/lenses. USA... not so much.
07-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #330
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
This looks like an excellent thing for both Pentax and Ricoh.
Mighty like a whale