Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its not so much people being doom sayers. If Ricoh new what the hell they were doing, they wouldn't have lost their slr line to begin with.
That's an easy question to answer: in the 80's there was a BIG shakeout going on in the SLR market. This happened for only one reason: the introduction of AF. Most companies could not follow or did not have the necessary funds to introduce AF in their SLR lineup. From there most SLR companies went downhill. Ricoh, Cosina et al went to other products (compacts and lenses).

07-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #362
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It is unreal with SR system.
A good point, unlikely indeed, would be willing to give this up in a mirrorless, will discuss in the GXR thread.
07-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #363
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
A good point, unlikely indeed, would be willing to give this up in a mirrorless, will discuss in the GXR thread.
SR is nice, but not necessary at all costs. I'm still happy with my old DL and Canon 5D, and both have no sensor SR. If no SR means that the module (or camera) can stay compact, then I'm all for it.
07-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #364
Veteran Member

After first reading this my initial reaction was "Oh no." But after going through this thread I'll say I'm cautiously optimistic. As people have stated it is probably better that Pentax be owned by a camera company that is interested in developing it. With that said, I would like to see what direction Ricoh decides to take the brand. If it seems that they decide to focus more on cameras like the Q and the GXR, then I'm sorry to say my next camera will not be a pentax/ricoh (however, that doesn't mean I'll be ditching my K20 + FA35 and DA* 50-135 anytime soon. I'll hold onto those for as long as I absolutely have to.)

07-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
SR is nice, but not necessary at all costs. I'm still happy with my old DL and Canon 5D, and both have no sensor SR. If no SR means that the module (or camera) can stay compact, then I'm all for it.
+1. Compact bodies = less weight = already more stable
07-01-2011, 11:41 PM - 2 Likes   #366
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Mighty like a whale
This must be the final draw for you Ogl

Its amazing that you just dont sell your Pentax and buy another brand camera!

I actually admire your persistance and that you still stay with Pantax with all the negative feelings you have for it. You must be rally stuborn! How do you do it?

I would never do it if i had your feelings, i would just move on to what makes me happy!

Ogl! Move on! For your own good mate. There are other cameras and brands out there.

All this, i say with a because im a kind person that wants everyone to be happy. I want you to be happy!
07-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #367
Veteran Member

Ricoh-Pentax seems to make more sense than Hoya-Pentax or Marumi-Pentax or B+W-Pentax or Tiffen-Pentax...

07-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #368

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
K mount will live on, but not Pentax. I see it as Ricoh paying 120 mil for the ownership of 3 mounts.
And two factories, some stock of camera and lenses, some patents, and some engeneers to develop their compact cameras.

And the brand "Pentax".
07-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #369
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Akin Quote
And two factories, some stock of camera and lenses, some patents, and some engeneers to develop their compact cameras.

And the brand "Pentax".
isn't that what Hoya did? I mean Pentax is nothing more than a brand name now, not its own company. Asahi Optical turned int Pentax Corp. Pentax Corp. was bout by hoya and then Pentax became only a brand name. what ricoh is buying is what pentax has been since what 2007, 2008? just a brand. yet Pentax has done better in recent years, despite how I think hoya was not the best owner the brand could have hoped for than they did probably in the 90s and early 2000's combined. under the ownership of a company that actually has a real interest in both the name and the cameras, Pentax could do well as a brand. we are use dot thinking of camera brands as independent companies because of Nikon and Canon, etc. But lets face it Pentax has been only a brand for years and they still exist. I don't know any better than anyone else, but I don't get the feeling that rich has any interest in killing that off. I see Ricoh keeping pentax the way they are much like hoya did and then expanding upon that in a way hoya refused, but also mixing it with Ricoh probably in a similar fashion the way they did in the past. I just hope since now Ricoh is the owner that Pentax doesn't become the 'cheap' brand under Ricoh because that will be the death of Pentax as far as I can see. it would be in Rioch best interest even as owners of the brand to keep Pentax at a higher price point that any twin ricoh product.
07-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #370

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the name after...

it would be COTAX or RITAX?
07-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #371
Veteran Member

I still stick to my original feeling after reading the press release that Ricoh will be aiming at middle range consumer products, not prosumer, not pro. Lets hope that the K5 is not the end of the line for Pentax pro quality cameras.
However I have a bad feeling about this.....
07-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #372
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'm just a bit disappointed and worried Pentax will lose some ground here (painfully gained over the 4yrs and esp. with Kx, K5, 645D) as new users won't dare to buy one and some existing users may be scared off.
Perhaps another 2years needed for the fog to clear and ppl to get confidence again.
Of course fewer new buyers can affect everyone significantly if it means Ricoh/Pentax becomes not profitable.
I know at least one person who didn't buy Pentax because Hoya owned it. Hoya could have killed Pentax any time. Ricoh clearly has more interest in keeping the K mount line intact, so this could actually boost sales.

Is the cost of manufacturing still higher in the US? I've heard of Indian call center companies outsourcing their call centers to the US, cause it's cheaper there and workers have few rights.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I think that this is the beginning of the end. Reminds me of minolta.
Minolta lives on, as a part of Sony.
07-02-2011, 02:32 AM   #373
Veteran Member

Whether this all turns out good or bad in the long run, I wonder what is its effect on product development and release timetables. Considering the deal becomes effective in some months. Will Pentax engineers now just drink coffee, clean their tables and wait for commands from their new overlords? Also, Ricoh was planning to let go of 10% of their staff even before this. I'm sure quite a few former Pentax employees will be axed too.
07-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #374
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by legiman Quote
it would be cotax or ritax?
penritax.
07-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #375
Pentaxian

I like this sentence from the Ricoh press release:
Expansion of product lineup and interchangeable lens portfolio.
Surely this likely means more K-mount lenses.

Let's hope the new Pentax owner will realise all potential this new situation has.

Last edited by Class A; 07-02-2011 at 03:53 AM.