Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 07:26 PM - 4 Likes   #451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I'm surprised by how shallow the analysis of this deal has been in the online media. I havn't found anything I'd call illuminating.
I'm not.

It's a "business as usual" realignment.

Hoya is an has always been an industrial manufacturer, Pentax a consumer brand camera maker.

Ricoh is a broader imaging company with some consumer but mostly B2B reseller network and distribution AND a history of camera manufacturing.

My 2 cents, non-refundable, is that Ricoh bought Pentax precisely because it is Pentax, including all its current and future plans, roadmaps, patents....and the name. I bet Ricoh might gladly drop the Ricoh-brand camera, distancing from the printer/copier side and let the Pentax Imaging be the camera brand.

The news release seems to say just that.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 07-03-2011 at 05:58 PM.
07-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #452
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I'm not.

I's a "business as usual" realignment.

Hoya is an has always been an industrial manufacturer, Pentax a consumer brand camera maker.

Ricoh is a broader imaging company with some consumer but mostly B2B reseller network and distribution AND a history of camera manufacturing.

My 2 cents, non-refundable, is that Ricoh bought Pentax precisely because it is Pentax, including all its current and future plans, roadmaps, patents....and the name. I bet Ricoh might gladly drop the Ricoh-brand camera, distancing from the printer/copier side and let the Pentax Imaging be the camera brand.

I think you just may be spot on !!!!!!

wll
07-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #453
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Did you actually read the 2010 annual report? I expect not. Or did I miss something that someone here wants to point out?

Please take a look at their free cash flow and think about that cup of coffee again.
Sure I did. And that is the concern . . . cash flow. Apple is strong because of there reserves. It isn't clear if Ricoh will have reserves (not credit) which is unlikely if they are a public company.
07-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #454
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Wow, I am so surprise so many Pentaxian want Ricoh to fail. I am so totally piss off that I will take a break from this Pentax forum , I have better thing to do. Peoples are ony looking at the negative.
See you in few months
Actually, you are incorrect. Most people don't want the K-mount to become an orphan mount and its long legacy to come to an end including with its interface with the m42 that preceded it.

07-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #455
Site Supporter

I'm not.

That would be the ideal scenario.
07-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #456
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still can't help but be worried about this, but I suppose we'll see what happens with the Pentax DSLR line soon enough. I hope this doesn't become something that drives people to change systems.
07-02-2011, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #457
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Sorry but I need that explained to me. How would a GXR with a k-mount module be better than the K-5?
Where did I say that? I would like it to replace my e-p1 with, not the dSLR. The e-p1 is what I consider my digital p&s. An aps-c based k-mount module to take advantage of the da ltd series would dovetail nicely with the K-5 and hopefully its successor.

Edit: A module with the K-5 sensor should get the mirrorless crowd worried.

Last edited by Blue; 07-02-2011 at 08:25 PM.
07-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #458
Veteran Member

I'm not.

If you look at their copier business you will see that they bought two other makers - Lanier and Gestetner - and continued to operate them as separate units with their own branding as well as separate salesforces. This is what leads me to believe that Pentax as a brand and it's products will continue to exist.
07-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which Brand Name Will Survive?

Interesting information at Adorama.

"According to a press release this morning, Ricoh will begin to use the Pentax brand name for some of its digital camera products, and Hoya will continue to use the Pentax brand name for their endoscopes and other products. The release states that “the Acquisition, both companies will cooperate with each other to increase the value of the Pentax brand.” This seems to indicate that Ricoh will use the more widely recognized Pentax branding for its cameras as well as continuing the Pentax line.

Ricoh sees Pentax's line as being "complementary" with Ricoh's with "very little overlap" in camera lines."

If this will be the case, I´m not too worried. It might be very good!
07-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Interesting information at Adorama.

"According to a press release this morning, Ricoh will begin to use the Pentax brand name for some of its digital camera products, and Hoya will continue to use the Pentax brand name for their endoscopes and other products. The release states that “the Acquisition, both companies will cooperate with each other to increase the value of the Pentax brand.” This seems to indicate that Ricoh will use the more widely recognized Pentax branding for its cameras as well as continuing the Pentax line.

Ricoh sees Pentax's line as being "complementary" with Ricoh's with "very little overlap" in camera lines."

If this will be the case, I´m not too worried. It might be very good!
lol, looks like he has been reading my posts in this thread.
07-02-2011, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #461

I wouldn't be surprised to see a consumer photo printer wearing a Pentax logo in a couple of years, to compete directly with Canon on the consumer end of the document imaging side of their business.
07-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #462
Banned

I'm not.

I believe you are spot on. all the evidence suggests just this, and I have been saying the same thing. and if this is indeed how Ricoh plans to leverage their ownership of the brand then neither 'PENTAX' or the Kmount are going anywhere anytime soon. I stand by my statement that I believe this may be the true saving grace of the Pentax brand.
07-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #463
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It has excellent sharpness, distortion and other figures. The bokeh is lovely, especially at close focus. The micro-contrast is astounding. Build is the usual high Limited quality. It is the best flower lens I have used (and I still own three macros). Your opinion does not accord with mine.

(About time this thread had a photo.)
I sold DA35/2.8 macro without any regrets. It's only ONE lens which I ever sold without regrets.
Rather mediocre lens as universal lens.
Worse than my FA LIMITED in terms of bokeh, resolution and sharpness.
It's the VERY GOOD lens to shoot macro jewelry or close macro object.
35 mm is rather short for good macro. The bokeh is from really bad till average.
AF speed is no very good.
If we compare this lens with real LIMITED serie lenses, we can see easily that
LIMITED mark at this lens is just marketing trick. They put rather ordinary macro lens in metal body and called it LIMITED.
Tokina 35/2.8 macro is almost 1.5-2 times cheaper. Built very good.

P.S.
There is no such term "micro-contrast" - it's fiction.

Last edited by ogl; 07-03-2011 at 02:06 AM.
07-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #464
Veteran Member

So I sent an email to Ricoh's general inquiry page on their Japanese site. Hopefully it will get to someone with decision making abilities to at least influence their Pentax plans. I wrote my thoughts in Japanese of course. I basically said I was happy they bought Pentax and hope that they treat us well. I also gave them some examples of what I feel makes Pentax tools useful to me.

Here is the link if anyone is interested:
https://www.notes.ricoh.co.jp/SOUDAN/Qweb.nsf/ricohinfo?Openform

07-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #465
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

P.S.
There is no such term "micro-contrast" - it's fiction.
Wow, is this a joke? When people say "micro-contrast," they mean the graph on the MTF chart corresponding to say, 30 line-pairs per mm. By "macro-contrast", they mean the graph on the MTF chart correspond to say, 10 line-pairs per mm.

MTF Chart Guide | sigmaphoto.com

Educate yourself.