Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #496
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
DA 35ltd macro is among the best lenses I've shot.

Read ---> Understanding Lens Contrast.
Those are brilliant images, thanks for sharing. I'm astonished that they haven't elicited more response.

Further to acquisition, I'll add the following thoughts despite my non-qualification in both the marketing and technical aspects:
1. It's clear from the wording of the press releases that Ricoh plans to take the existing Pentax line and run with it - it's worded from a B2B company's perspective (e.g. use of "consumer") but it's really very straightforward IMHO. Not worth days of debate.

2. I've been looking for two new cameras recently: a walkaround rangefinder (where I'm currently using a film body) and an ILC (where I use a Pentax body and various film bodies). I'm not enamored of the DSLR form and think that a mirrorless body could replace both. Until Friday I was thinking NX or u43. Thanks to Friday's news, the GXR is at the top of the line (despite being unavailable at the moment in Canada). The reason being: it's one body that solves both uses. (Not ruling out buying two bodies, though.)

3. A challenge/opportunity that I see before Ricoh is using the GXR and the DSLR line together in a way that drives both to being major contenders. Aside from improving on Pentax's DSLR momentum (eg start advertising), I've had a thought on how they could capitalize on the GXR system's strengths. Because they can now produce modules for two popular mounts with native support, they have very broad reach across "serious amateurs". Those who may for instance have a Canon system plus an M lens or two or maybe some old K glass. A straightforward line of buyer reasoning could look like:

a. "Hey, an affordable M mirrorless body!"
or
a1. "Hey, a black and white module that supports my old SMC glass"

b. "Gee, look at the other modules available for this body I've got. That new Pentax glass looks great."

c. "Now that I've got some Pentax glass, I want a sports/FF/whatever DSLR body"

Who knows, possibly Ricoh could start making a u43 module and bring that crowd into the same channel....

07-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #497

ooooooooorrr they just want to mass produce weatherproof SDM driven copying machine with customizable machine colour... ooor not
07-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #498

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The DA35 Ltd a waste of money? Only in your world.
For me, it's a fantastic lens that makes my photo hobby much more fun.
You probably misunderstood my words, or I'm doing crap with my english sorry about that
I think that if you don't need what a MACRO lens gives you, you shouldn't buy one. It's nuts to buy a macro lens for portraits (??) ... and complain because you should do a lot of pp work after the shot to remove details O_o (like Emacs said here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1566239-post471.html ).

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
That's why I don't have it. I just wonder how many people here like this stuff.
So, you're telling us how crappy is DA 35mm f/2.8 macro for portraits (??) ... without having one, nor knowing what macro lenses are intended for and what kind of lens you need to shoot portraits, taking your stand on tests done by photozone using completely different bodies (k10 and k5) and probably without having ever used this lens in your life, and doing weird comparison with Tokina lens without knowing anything about Pentax and Tokina common lens projects..

You know... I've met much funnier trolls than you are. No more food from me :ugh:
07-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by _lyan_ Quote
You probably misunderstood my words, or I'm doing crap with my english sorry about that
I think that if you don't need what a MACRO lens gives you, you shouldn't buy one. It's nuts to buy a macro lens for portraits (??) ... and complain because you should do a lot of pp work after the shot to remove details O_o (like Emacs said here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1566239-post471.html ).
Ah, OK. I do think the DA35 Ltd is great for portraits, though - for those portraits where the short focal length is right (for "normal head and shoulders" portraits, I use the DA70). But its real strength is for walk around use where you occasionally want to do closeups or macros of things you see and find.

07-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #500

Ah, OK. I do think the DA35 Ltd is great for portraits, though - for those portraits where the short focal length is right (for "normal head and shoulders" portraits, I use the DA70). But its real strength is for walk around use where you occasionally want to do closeups or macros of things you see and find.
This is exactly why I'd LOVE to buy one as soon as I can afford it
07-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #501
ogl
Banned

No. DA35 is one of the best MACRO lens.
But for me, it was useless lens.
Because it's worse than FA43 (for me) which I like.
Worse than FA35/2, DA40/2.8 and even DA35/2.4. BUT it's JUST my opinion.

Last edited by ogl; 07-03-2011 at 09:37 AM.
07-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #502
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
That's why I don't have it. I just wonder how many people here like this stuff.

07-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #503
Site Supporter

more DA 35 ltd

07-03-2011, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Sure I did. And that is the concern . . . cash flow. Apple is strong because of there reserves. It isn't clear if Ricoh will have reserves (not credit) which is unlikely if they are a public company.
The Ricoh 2010 annual report, latest available (and the one you read?), shows a free cash flow of about US $1.2 billion. That's money that can be used for investment purposes, paying down debt, etc. Things like buying Pentax for about USD $124 million - about one tenth of free cash flow. Plenty of money left over for even a latte.

The 2011 annual report does not seem to be available yet - just a "flash report" with some very high-level income statement items. FY 2011 was not as good as 2010 for Ricoh but then there were hiccups in the Japanese economy, I think. The company was still profitable but sales and profits were both down from 2010.

Speaking of having cash available for acquisitions, the flash report shows that at end of fiscal year 2011 Ricoh had cash and cash equivalents of more than USD $2.2 billion. Again, enough left over for a good Kona.

Nor do I understand why you believe that public companies would not have "reserves". Microsoft is a prime example - they appear to have more cash than they can find good use for. Literally.

Fact: Ricoh can afford Pentax and bought it precisely because it's a fine maker of cameras and associated equipment with a respected name and a loyal following.

Why do we try to make this more complicated??
07-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
The Ricoh 2010 annual report, latest available (and the one you read?), shows a free cash flow of about US $1.2 billion. That's money that can be used for investment purposes, paying down debt, etc. Things like buying Pentax for about USD $124 million - about one tenth of free cash flow. Plenty of money left over for even a latte.

The 2011 annual report does not seem to be available yet - just a "flash report" with some very high-level income statement items. FY 2011 was not as good as 2010 for Ricoh but then there were hiccups in the Japanese economy, I think. The company was still profitable but sales and profits were both down from 2010.

Speaking of having cash available for acquisitions, the flash report shows that at end of fiscal year 2011 Ricoh had cash and cash equivalents of more than USD $2.2 billion. Again, enough left over for a good Kona.

Nor do I understand why you believe that public companies would not have "reserves". Microsoft is a prime example - they appear to have more cash than they can find good use for. Literally.

Fact: Ricoh can afford Pentax and bought it precisely because it's a fine maker of cameras and associated equipment with a respected name and a loyal following.

Why do we try to make this more complicated??

that and of course the fact that they stated they not only would continue to use the name, but intended to build the brand (in particular ILC segment. I would be very surprised if they didn't ramp up lens production for not only APS-C, but also 645D which suffers from a lack and current buyers alone would suggest it's a good idea not to mention the ability to grow share in that market. as for the Ff lenses, I could see a lot of reworked FA as DFA down the line. it's the fastest way to expand the line and the lowest cost in R&D since many of the designs exist and are quite good. It also leaves FF an Option
A GXR k Module is pretty much a no brainer, so is launching a pentax branded GXR (ricoh does no camera business in Canada, Pentax on the other hand has pretty good distribution just needing the support at the inventory/rep/Advertising level
07-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #506
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

You can make the same photos with 18-55
07-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #507
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great News! Ricoh is a camera company...Hoya was....well, not a camera company.

My Squirrels are celebrating, not only do they see this as good for their favorite camera brand, Pentax, of course, but they are grateful that that poor old blind man chained in the Hoya QC room can now retire and go fishing! Squirrels reported that he took a real beating after the sensor stain issue.....but it wasn't his fault at all, like he said, he "didn't see a thing".

Best Regards!
07-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
not with that level of sharpness unless you have a particularly good 18-55 I think
this kind of comment is pure troll ogl, between you and emacs i am ready to scrap reading anything on this forum
07-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Not with any of the 3 permutations of the 18-55 I've owned... and the 1st two were good, the 3rd not so much. But none of them could have handled the intricately delicate foliage that we see in Blue's photos.

A person could make a case as to the relative value of a lens like the DA 35 Macro, and I can understand and get behind that. But to disparage it's optical characteristics sounds disingenuous.
07-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you're a pro, is there anything more important than this?