Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #556
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I'm not sure that many of the competitors are aiming at the same space in which Pentax has staked a claim, though. The following quote comes from the Mike Johnston / Carl Weese article that someone recently linked to above (or in another thread). I don't see anyone else putting together a list like this:
Sigma is certainly competing head to head with Pentax on prime lenses.

This portion of the lens road map would seem to write itself....
The way you quoted this makes it look as though you are responding to me. I don't know who you quoted, but my wish list would be different. I don't need an 18mm f2, I want an f2 between 24-28mm, and a supertele and, AFAIC, the DA*55 is already a good replacement the classic 85mm 1.8.

07-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #557
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Sigma is certainly competing head to head with Pentax on prime lenses.

The way you quoted this makes it look as though you are responding to me. I don't know who you quoted, but my wish list would be different. I don't need an 18mm f2, I want an f2 between 24-28mm, and a supertele and, AFAIC, the DA*55 is already a good replacement the classic 85mm 1.8.
I think the 18 f 2 makes a tone of sense, like a fast 28 on FF
it also is a rare bird in any brand
(it'd be even better if it was FF so I could use it on my film bodies )
07-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The way you quoted this makes it look as though you are responding to me. I don't know who you quoted
As I wrote,

The following quote comes from the Mike Johnston / Carl Weese article
8^)

FWIW, Thom Hogan also put out a wishlist earlier this year for things he wanted to see Nikon put out for their DX line. Several of his readers pointed out that Pentax already had everything on his list covered.
07-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #559
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
H mm, as long as the name PENTAX remains and the technology outclasses our competitors, I am happy !

07-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #560
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bezuidar Quote
H mm, as long as the name PENTAX remains and the technology outclasses our competitors, I am happy !
it will.
07-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #561
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
it will.

As long as the k-mount stays with it otherwise the name will be about as useful as utters on a bull. I think they will, but until after Oct 1 and into the future we don't really know for sure. When takeovers happen things sometimes a different way.
07-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #562
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
As long as the k-mount stays with it otherwise the name will be about as useful as utters on a bull. I think they will, but until after Oct 1 and into the future we don't really know for sure. When takeovers happen things sometimes a different way.
if Ricoh has plans to further the Pentax brand, then the only way I could ever see the Kmount disappearing is if Pentax decides to leave it behind. I'm not sure why everyone thinks that Ricoh could possibly make drastic changes. I really don't see that happening, and they have stated nothing thus far to give that idea. I think they will certainly have their say and we only can guess how Ricoh will integrate Pentax into its existing lineup of digital cameras, but I don't see the Kmount going anywhere soon. I think pentax will continue to further the current success of the K series, and if we all get lucky they will do so with some serious marketing put behind it, like hoya never did.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I really don't think so.

07-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #563
Veteran Member

Who really knows what is gonna happen.. We may be buying Ricoh branded cameras next year. The fact is Hoya leaned down the pentax operations, got rid of expensive japanese manufacturing (for better or worse), and put Pentax technologically on par with its competitors. I don't think its any small surprise that Pentax announces the mirrorless system and low and behold we finally have a buyer.

Ricoh is 4 times bigger than Hoya, has money and distribution to actually put Pentax up their with the big 3; not just technologically but also in sales. You have to remember, Hoya bought pentax for medical imaging and the camera business at the time came along with it. Ricoh is buying pentax because it wants the camera business. That should say something about where the priorities are.

Will Ricoh keep the pentax brand and bring all of its camera operations under the pentax brand? or will they rebrand the whole thing to Ricoh. Is the quality going to go downhill? Will be see more lenses? who knows.

For now i am calling this a good thing.
07-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #564
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Will Ricoh keep the pentax brand and bring all of its camera operations under the pentax brand? or will they rebrand the whole thing to Ricoh. Is the quality going to go downhill? Will be see more lenses? who knows.
based on some of Ricohs previous acquisitions (I believe they have been sited at least once here on the forums, but I don't know which thread) it seems that its not Ricoh's business style to rebrand everything Ricoh, but to instead leverage the existing brand name and the user base that comes with that. they have stated already that they are aware of and plan to expand upon the existing user base. they can't do that if they scrub the brand name. the 'PENTAX' brand isn't going anywhere. its as simple as that, and I'm willing to bet money on it. they also can't do that if they scrub the Kmount. its possible that in time the Kmount may disappear, just as much as its possible that the EOS or Fmount may disappear. but not anytime soon for any of them, Kmount included.
07-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #565
Veteran Member

Cus no matter who makes it...I want my camera to say PENTAX lol
07-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #566
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Ricoh is 4 times bigger than Hoya, has money and distribution to actually put Pentax up their with the big 3; not just technologically but also in sales. You have to remember, Hoya bought pentax for medical imaging and the camera business at the time came along with it. Ricoh is buying pentax because it wants the camera business. That should say something about where the priorities are.
I believe that Ricoh may actually be larger than Nikon, although smaller than Canon and Sony, in terms of total corporate size. If they choose to do so, they have the resources to compete with anyone. However, it would be a mistake to underestimate the Big 3. They are all fierce competitors, and Nikon and Canon, especially, are deeply entrenched in the photographic marketplace. Taking market share from them will be a monumental challenge.

Rob
07-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #567
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Taking market share from them will be a monumental challenge.
I look forward to the results of Ricoh's attempts!

I don't think its any small surprise that Pentax announces the mirrorless system and low and behold we finally have a buyer.
That would explain a thing or two: the high price of the unit; the flashy, love-it-or-hate-it looks; the unconventional merger of product lines. It's like a concept car, designed to attract a splash of attention and build a bit of buzz without seriously staking claim to a market segment. Then while everyone's talking about Pentax, make the purchase look all the more high-profile.
07-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #568
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
As long as the k-mount stays with it otherwise the name will be about as useful as utters on a bull.
I agree with you. I almost think that Ricoh was buying the rights to the K-mount more than they were buying the Pentax name. The name "Pentax" is not that magical these days. However, the ability to sell a new DSLR to everyone who ever bought a Spotmatic or a K1000 (and who owns a few lenses to go with those cameras) is priceless.
07-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I agree with you. I almost think that Ricoh was buying the rights to the K-mount more than they were buying the Pentax name. The name "Pentax" is not that magical these days. However, the ability to sell a new DSLR to everyone who ever bought a Spotmatic or a K1000 (and who owns a few lenses to go with those cameras) is priceless.
Isn't the K mount in public domain right now?
07-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #570
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Isn't the K mount in public domain right now?
yes. which is why the idea of Ricoh purchasing Pentax soley to gain a few technologies or patents seem silly. especially if all they wanted was a Kmount platform to make their own digital SLR's, because they wouldn't have had to spend anything to use either the K or F mount. at least not in licensing fees, etc. Ricoh bought Pentax for Pentax, and I can't understand why so many people here still seem to think and worry otherwise. they have already publicly stated that they are interested in expanding the brand. you can't do that if you scrub it now can you?