Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Just this month in a magazine in an add from one off the biggest internetshops (they also have two megastores) an add with the K-5 prominent in it. This was a new think to me too to see. So there is some movement.

There was for Saturn a two page spread about all the Pentax gear in a brochure also last week.
It's summer photo season. Happens every year since the Kodak Brownie.

07-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #617
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Meh, it will turn around very quickly if Ricoh puts out some interesting gear.
That's the point I think...people will be freaked out until Ricoh/Pentax does release new gear.
Here's to seeing the K3 this year
07-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #618
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
See my previous post in this thread (#422), in which I wondered this exact same thing. In fact, Blue, I was thinking about your cup of java quip when I typed that one. Seriously, in the world of high tech and big business losing money is hardly ever a reason not to spend it when a deal such as this comes along. $140 million for a whole, prestigious camera company? Come on, that's a bargain in this economy or any other. But even saying that I can't believe Ricoh would spend this amount and sit on their corporate haunches. I expect great things coming after October 1. We can take them to task later if they let Pentax rot. But I suggest giving it a little time for Ricoh to spin up the momentum.
I have to wonder if the 2 events are closely related. It would make a lot of sense to go ahead and do some restructuring in advance.
07-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #619
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
That's the point I think...people will be freaked out until Ricoh/Pentax does release new gear.
Here's to seeing the K3 this year
There are so many directions they could take this that I hate to guess what they might do. I imagine there are quite a few projects sitting in the drawers of Pentax engineers, ready to go.

(They can't have been entirely consumed with the Q these past five years.)

07-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #620
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
See my previous post in this thread (#422), in which I wondered this exact same thing. In fact, Blue, I was thinking about your cup of java quip when I typed that one. Seriously, in the world of high tech and big business losing money is hardly ever a reason not to spend it when a deal such as this comes along. $140 million for a whole, prestigious camera company? Come on, that's a bargain in this economy or any other. But even saying that I can't believe Ricoh would spend this amount and sit on their corporate haunches. I expect great things coming after October 1. We can take them to task later if they let Pentax rot. But I suggest giving it a little time for Ricoh to spin up the momentum.
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have to wonder if the 2 events are closely related. It would make a lot of sense to go ahead and do some restructuring in advance.
I think you guys are right. Its probably a big thing in Japan to lay off employees, so they don't do it without a lot of drama. In the long run, my impression is that investors are a lot more confident in companies that have plans and are doing purposeful things as opposed to those sitting around and doing nothing.

I think what they see in Pentax, is a team with good ideas, that lacks in execution. This is an easier situation to fix than a team that has no creativity at all. The sensor stain problem is a bonehead manufacturing 101 error, not a design team error. Manufacturing people should have got their hands on the first few cameras out of the plant, found all the problems and fixed them. Instead they manufactured many months of those sensor stain cameras. The low light focus problem - developing an improved function but lacking the resources to test it thoroughly prior to manufacturing. Ricoh didn't get to the top in copiers making these kinds of mistakes. They understand the problem!

I've got some extra lenses i'm going to sell off, but i'm keeping my k5 and my favoite lenses. This is going to be a fun ride.
07-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #621
Veteran Member

I agree with you, Phil. My only question is... do I buy a K-5 now or wait to see the first new DSLR after Ricoh takes over?
07-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #622
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
People are a lot more expensive than money.

07-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #623
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Its probably a big thing in Japan to lay off employees, so they don't do it without a lot of drama.
I thought I read that Ricoh's layoffs were 9% worldwide. How many of those are in-Japan jobs vs in-Vietnam et al?
07-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I thought I read that Ricoh's layoffs were 9% worldwide. How many of those are in-Japan jobs vs in-Vietnam et al?
PDF is killing photocopiers. So there are other reasons to shrink a workforce in such a diverse company as Ricoh.

Pentax Imaging may have a better long-term revenue prospectus; hence the purchase. They're just shifting capital.
07-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
People are a lot more expensive than money.
Not in poor Greece right now.
07-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #626
Inactive Account

Don't know what to think?

I am new to Pentax. I bought a K-5 to take on vacation in March. It is a great camera. I suppose only time will tell, but I hope it is good for the technology in the K-5 and promotes the Pentax line.
07-09-2011, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #627
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by niemeier9 Quote
I am new to Pentax. I bought a K-5 to take on vacation in March. It is a great camera. I suppose only time will tell, but I hope it is good for the technology in the K-5 and promotes the Pentax line.
As mentioned, Ricoh didn't buy Pentax to destroy it, but to expand it. I really think we'll see Pentax blossoming into a major player in the near future. Don't sweat it.

Last edited by RioRico; 07-11-2011 at 02:10 PM.
07-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #628

Lets hope for a modular FF camera from Ricoh with K-mount!

What is the K-3 going to be??? I have big expectation from this alliance!
07-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #629
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Not in poor Greece right now.
Greece isn't poor. The debt comes from all the money which kept flooding into Greece the last ten years. Foreign money I should add. The problem is that this money is kept hidden. Not that Greece is poor. The Greek government may be poor but not Greece ...
07-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #630

I'm optimistic about the Ricoh take over, but they have their work cut out in the marketing and PR departments. Here's a little anecdote....
I passed a student in the stair at uni and she asked me what camera I was carrying.
"Pentax"
"Pardon?"
"Pentax"
"Who makes Pentax?" (good question)
"Pentax make Pentax" (fib - but the Asahi, Hoya, and now Ricoh story is too complicated)
"Oh, I've not heard about them. Looks like a nice camera."
"It is. Very; thank you. What do you use?" (toss a coin for this one)
"Nikon"
"They're nice too, I've seen a few about."
"Have a nice day, sir"
"I am, you too" (thinks; well, today this student learned something worthwhile)

Pa! the youth of today - I ask you!

but is is worrying, isn't it; a young photographer who hadn't heard of Pentax?

Last edited by ronniemac; 07-09-2011 at 11:04 AM.