Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #706
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Modules for existing mounts like M and K-mount would inevitably take away sales from the dedicated GXR lensors. So that's a way to drive sales to eBay and away from your bread and butter.
Yes but seen the succes of the GXR at the time it can only mean to boost sales on the GXR basestation with one of those modules (M- or K-mount) not eating up on current sales, since they are low. Second tho that is that once a good crowed owns a basestation maybe when X-mass comes one of those lensor's is a good present.

07-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #707
Veteran Member

The problem with the Ricoh GXR design is the price of new lensors. It's totally not competitive.
You flog a dead horse. Ricoh has announced new mountors but no new lensors. If/when GXR sales can sustain new lensors, more might emerge, but that's likely not Ricoh's path now.
07-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #708
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
You flog a dead horse. Ricoh has announced new mountors but no new lensors. If/when GXR sales can sustain new lensors, more might emerge, but that's likely not Ricoh's path now.
Then where's the revenue stream? A cheap body and someone else's mount and some glass from a manufacturer long dead??

That's a tiny market based on a few hobbyists with LBA who have less expensive and more functional NEX and M43 systems to choose from with inexpensive adapters.

Think of it:

Let's say there is a new Pentax APS-C mirrorless mount coming that has a K-mount adapter.

Yay!

Let's assume there are inexpensive adapters for a variety of legacy glass jus like NEX and M43.

Awesome.

But there is also the GXR which will have the same functionality at a far higher price based on a modular system that has caught no fire with the market?

That's cannibalization. One cannot be in the same zoo.

Pentax has 2 DSLR products in the active pipe at any one time. That's it. Now they have the Q at something of a premium price point. There's going to be 2 more systems in play as well?

Makes no biz sense. None at all.
07-15-2011, 06:46 PM - 2 Likes   #709
Veteran Member

Here's a new article on the acquisition from Pentax UK.

Pentax UK speaks out on Ricoh sale | News | TechRadar UK

Everything I hear about Ricoh and Pentax sounds good to me.

07-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #710
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Here's a new article on the acquisition from Pentax UK.

Pentax UK speaks out on Ricoh sale | News | TechRadar UK

Everything I hear about Ricoh and Pentax sounds good to me.
Most informative interview I've seen from someone actually connected to Pentax. Thanks.
07-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #711
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Most informative interview I've seen from someone actually connected to Pentax. Thanks.
Agreed. I really liked that her emphatic statements about the brand as well:

QuoteQuote:
According to Marilyn, the Pentax brand and name will continue under the new structure, "that's absolutely certain," she told us.
Thanks for the link Audiobomber!
07-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #712
Veteran Member

I am curious where is Ricoh from? I looked wikipedia but can't find where Ricoh from? Anyone know? Thankz

07-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #713
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
I am curious where is Ricoh from? I looked wikipedia but can't find where Ricoh from? Anyone know? Thankz
Japan.

Company Data / About Ricoh | Ricoh Global

History:

http://www.ricoh.com/about/company/history/1936/
07-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #714
Veteran Member

Let's say there is a new Pentax APS-C mirrorless mount coming that has a K-mount adapter.
<...>
But there is also the GXR which will have the same functionality at a far higher price based on a modular system that has caught no fire with the market?
And no new lensor modules have been announced, so *that* horse seems dead. Mountors are apparently the future of GXR. Or maybe I misunderstand you. Are you suggesting Pentax is ready to announce a standalone MILC? IMHO a KAF3 mountor makes much more sense.

QuoteQuote:
Makes no biz sense. None at all.
Don't tell *me*. Tell Ricoh's management. They seem to think a 3-part modular system (body + sensor.module + lens) will work. And I've already suggested *how* it can work: Full-featured mountors for Pentax AF lenses, 'crippled' (non-AF) mountors for other lenses. No sales cannibalization that way.
07-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #715
Veteran Member

Hear what Yvon thinks of the purchase.
PENTAX DSLRs: Ricoh buying Pentax is another take-over, which may increase sales, but some people will find themselves out of a job because of it.
07-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #716
Pentaxian

An interesting story but completely irrelevant in this case.
"Some" people will find themselves out of a job, but his point is more like FUD.
07-17-2011, 03:46 AM   #717
Veteran Member

irrelevant and stupid, considering that Pentax is a leap ahead of Ricoh in Photo tech, the Ricoh goldenboy may stay at ricoh's office.
07-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #718
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link.

Like Yvon, I would have nothing to say about the aquisition and therefore, I refrained from blogging about it

Some people learned a bit more about future plans though and I may blog about it if the info becomes more widespread.

Last edited by falconeye; 07-17-2011 at 06:22 AM.
07-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #719
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the link.

Like Yvon, I would have nothing to say about the aquisition and therefore, I refrained from blogging about it

Some people learned a bit more about future plans though and I may blog about it if the info becomes more widespread.
Your Welcome.

All of the Posted Opinions by Pentaxians here in this forum and outside of this forum is sorrt of a mixed bag. We do not know what it will become in the future (Ricoh-Pentax). In the end we just hope for the best. Cheers to Us (Pentax Camera Owners).
07-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #720
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
An interesting story but completely irrelevant in this case.
"Some" people will find themselves out of a job, but his point is more like FUD.
Ricoh has stated 10,000 people will find themselves out of a job over the next three years (May 26, 2011).