Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Pentax, do we want to be called Ricoh?
No, we don't want to be called Ricoh, we want to stay as Pentax 45594.40%
Yes, we're ok about being renamed to Ricoh 275.60%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Quickly, we must buy all the Pentax products possible before they disappear FOREVER!

07-01-2011, 05:44 AM   #17
wll
Veteran Member

I for one believe they will keep the Pentax name.

If they don't .... I'm out a here.

I Don't want the Ricoh name on my DSLR or lenses.

The one thing I do know from past experience with Ricoh products is even though they are a small company (I thought) there quality is very high. (good thing).

Time will tell.

wll
07-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't really imagine that Ricoh would pay for Pentax's camera division and not be able to use the Pentax name. They aren't Sony (who clearly believes they can sell anything under the Sony label and have people buy it) and particularly when it comes to medium format, Ricoh has no cache, unlike Pentax.
07-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #19

they already announced they will keep the Pentax name. I read it on the official Ricoh website... I can't find the article anymore though

07-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #20

there it is:

Ricoh to acquire HOYA's PENTAX Imaging Systems Business / News Release | Ricoh Global

even Hoya will keep Pentax name for some of its products.

[I don't know why it is not listed anymore]
07-01-2011, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My personal opinion is that all of the compact camera stuff (including the Q) should be moved under the Ricoh brand (where they already have a strong showing) and Pentax should be reserved for the DSLRs (befitting the origin of the name based on the "pentaprism).

So Ricoh... please don't take my Pentax away!!!

Mike
07-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EXCELLENT!!!! All My PENTAX gear just Quadrupaled in Price........... lol

Take that Nikanonions!!
07-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian

If Hoya sold the brand name, Ricoh can use it , if not Ricoh can do nothing about it . Many deal permit the new buyer to use the brand name for example 2 years, after that they need to changeit . But I believe Hoya sold the brand name to Ricoh and will integrated the Pentax medical into Hoya brand name

07-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
My personal opinion is that all of the compact camera stuff (including the Q) should be moved under the Ricoh brand (where they already have a strong showing) and Pentax should be reserved for the DSLRs (befitting the origin of the name based on the "pentaprism).
A sensible idea. This feels like a resolution to a long standing problem for the Pentax line. Best of luck, Ricoh!
07-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Keep in mind we are again dealing with a Japanese company. Ricoh certainly has more name recognition there than it does here. At best, I think the average person here when they hear Ricoh thinks "copier." When they were selling film SLR's over here, they were second tier as compared to Pentax. I don't think Ricoh is stupid enough to remove the Pentax branding from DSLR's. The compacts are a more interesting story. They could have product lines for both, or preserve Ricoh for compacts (frankly I think this is a bad idea, as you can't upsell a happy P&S user to your brand's DSLR), or they could cross brand the same product depending on region. I think the latter makes the most sense--keep calling the compacts Ricoh in Japan, but in Europe/America call them Pentax
07-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Hoping that Ricoh comes out with a stylish line of cameras and names it...

Ricoh Suave.

07-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #27

time to rush out and purchase "ricohforums.com...?"

I'm not too worried about a name change personally, but I like the idea of naming the compacts ricoh...
07-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There won't be any name change- in '08, Hoya didn't rename anything, did they? When a brand name is already out there, changing it usually does more harm than good unless the new brand is better-known (i.e. Daewoo -> Chevrolet was a winner).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Ricoh needs to continue the Pentax name. Even at it's height, Ricoh was considered a budget alternative to Pentax gear. I think the Pentax name will allow a small bump in pricing and I think Ricoh ought to take advantage of that.
Ricoh drove their slr line down the toilet. Period.
07-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There won't be any name change- in '08, Hoya didn't rename anything, did they? When a brand name is already out there, changing it usually does more harm than good unless the new brand is better-known (i.e. Daewoo -> Chevrolet was a winner).
I hope you are right but sometimes names do get changed. The wild card here is the fact Hoya is hanging on to the rights to the name for the medical side of things. I hope this doesn't end up like the situation when Sony got the Minolta slr line but Konica-Minolta held the name for there copiers etc.